Discworld discussion

The Watch Mini Series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Myopic (new)

Myopic | 6 comments What do you think of the Watch? Do you think Carrot will become the leader of Ankh Morpokh? What'll happen to Vimes in Snuff? What do you think of the different characters within the Watch? Who's your favourite and are there any you can't stand?

I'd love to know your views!

message 2: by James (new)

James | 21 comments LOVE Sam Vimes, although Knobby has developed some "unseen" talents and character.

Carrot will NEVER become the leader of Ankh-Morpork; He's a copper and will always BE a copper. After all, he had the opportunity to declare himself the rightful King in "Men At Arms", but chose to enforce the law!

Have not heard anything about "Snuff" but I doubt that Sam will be "done in". After all, if a dragon and a trek through an underground grotto didn't do it (and don't forget all that "Bearhuggers" he consumed before he went on the wagon) then nothing can.

message 3: by Myopic (new)

Myopic | 6 comments If you go on the Watch page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh-Mor...

Right at the end of tis section there's a quote from Terry Pratchett suggesting that he may kill off Vetinari and make Carrot the King. I know what you mean, I don't want him to leave the Watch and become a politician but then again, I do want to see how he deals with aristocrats as I find Vimes' way of dealing with posh snobs hilarious!

I hope Vimes lives on, I can't imagine the series without him... He's the kind of person you may not like in real life but when you see all of him (including what he thinks and his past experiences) he's a very admirable character.

Nobby as the leader of Ankh Morpokh would be amazing!
Don't Nobby and Carrot remind you of Laurel and Hardy?

message 4: by James (new)

James | 21 comments More Knobby and Colon, but yes, they do remind me of Laurel and Hardy.

Or Abbott and Costello!

message 5: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Arami | 2 comments I think Moist has a bigger chance of ruling than Carrot, at least he seems to be getting more training from Vetinari. And I don't really think Vimes would let him leave the watch with such a flimsy excuse as having to govern the city. jaja

My favorite character has got to be Angua. I love how she interacts with the rest of the characters and her cynicism. Although Carrot and Detritus hold second place. I guess there's just something lovable about all of them, From Vimesy to Washpot.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Bird | 30 comments There is news that a TV Series is going to be made about the discworld Watch characters http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/dwm0167extra.php#S_2 exciting.

message 7: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Arami | 2 comments Heard about it, but I'm not sure how official it might be. Although it's be pretty wicked if it was true :DD

message 8: by Ravyn (new)

Ravyn (razzle-vyn) | 3 comments I know there are some animated movies made...I hope it becomes a mini series, that'll be awesome!

message 9: by Myopic (new)

Myopic | 6 comments James wrote: "More Knobby and Colon, but yes, they do remind me of Laurel and Hardy.

Or Abbott and Costello!"

Yeah, that's what I meant... stupid me :P
Trust me to confuse the most dedicated and brave officer with the most lazy and cowardly :)

message 10: by Myopic (new)

Myopic | 6 comments Andy wrote: "There is news that a TV Series is going to be made about the discworld Watch characters http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/dwm... exciting."

That should be something to look forward to!

message 11: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 4 comments Myopic wrote: "If you go on the Watch page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh-Mor...

Right at the end of tis section there's a quote from Terry Pratche..."

I can't imagine Vetinari dying. In my head, he's actually an immortal who will outlive everyone else (kinda like Dios from "Pyramids"). Yeah, Moist is more likely to be a ruler than Carrot, but I'm still rooting for Vetinari all the way.:D

Oh, and while I love all of the members of the Watch, my favorite will always be Vimes. He's just such a wicked awesome character.

message 12: by Sukayna (new)

Sukayna | 3 comments I think that if Carrot ever did rule it would be as Patrician, not King, and he would be very much like Lord Vetinari, except that he'd only use the stick when he really needed it. Come on, surely someone must have noticed that his name could be a reference to the phrase Carrot/Stick? Also, there's a brilliant line in Jingo, 'Vetinari just used stick, or hit you over the head with the carrot.' I simply adore all the watch characters, but probably Vimes and Angua are my favourites, I love the relationship they have, and their shared exasperation with Carrot.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 3 comments Okay, part of me is sooooooo heart-pounding excited at the idea of a mini-series, but at the same time I just can't help but know I'll be disappointed. Pratchett writes so vividly that I always have very strong impressions of tone, inflection, facial expressions...all of those personal interactions. What are the odds that it would somehow match my imagination?

I've seen or own all the other animation and the live action movies, etc. I appreciate them. Very much. (No, I lie. Wyrd Sisters almost can't be excused.)

Is anyone else concerned that the mini-series might be a 'spoiler' for those features we love so much about these characters? In the Going Postal movie, Angua didn't have the vibrancy I associate with her AT ALL.

message 14: by Sukayna (new)

Sukayna | 3 comments I agree about the lack of vibrancy, but Angua can get quite cynical a times (one of the reasons she and Vimes get on), maybe it was full moon. Apart from that I thought they got the sarcasm and the general look down quite well. I think they'll do an OK job and I'm looking forward to it, though I'm terrified they'll cast some talentless hulk ad Carrot! There's no point worrying really, I'll watch (no pune intended) the first ep then make my mind up.