Fairy Tales, Kind of.... discussion

General > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 53 comments Mod
Welcome come and say hello! I'm Caitlin and I started this group because I've read/ I'm planning to read fairy tales that are different from the original.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! Can The Book of Lost Things qualify? It incorporates Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, and a few others.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Here, I'll just give links to all the possible options I know of...
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly already told you about this one
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka not sure if it's what you're going for, since it's a children's book
Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix this is Cinderella retold
Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast. Robin McKinley by Robin McKinley haven't read this one but it's on my to-read list, the title explains it

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

I'm not going for children's books but the rest sound as if they work! I'm going to start a What's on your to- read list here in a minute. And welcome!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks for inviting me!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

do you count alice in wonderland as a fairy tale? if so, these are retellings of that:
The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars, #2) by Frank Beddor ArchEnemy (The Looking Glass Wars, #3) by Frank Beddor

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

I'm still debating what counts and what doesn't. But for the moment I'm thinking that most Disney classics like the Little Mermaid, the princesses, Alice in Wonderland, etc. will count.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

ok awesome!

message 9: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 9 comments hi! im Siareen and i have recently become obsessed with fairy tale retellings.

a few good ones i ahve read are:

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale [a retelling of the Goose Girl]

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Werde [its not exactly one fairy tale, more just taking the idea and twisting it...]

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine [a retelling of Cinderella.]

A Curse Dark as Gold [a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin]

i think thats it so far.

also i has anyone seen the ABC tv show 'Once Upon a Time?' it is also supposed to be some sort of messed up fairy tale retelling. i am still trying ot decide if i like it or not however...

oh, and so far i have written one twisted fairy tale short story, told from the point of view of two young boys who stayed awake while the castle slept for 100 years...

if anyone is interested in that sort of thing, there are some very interesting sites and magazines that show a unique point of view on fairy tales.
Enchanted Conversations is one of those...
http://www.fairytalemagazine.com/