The Sword and Laser discussion

2010 Reads > Future History \ Sci Fi - Chung Kuo

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Walker (reech) | 6 comments H'lo all,

One of my favourite sci-fi sequqnces from the 90s - but then it went out of print (I never got to read the final book!) I enjoyed the world-building in this one; how China rises to be the pre-eminent society in the world. It's been described as 'blade runner meets Shogun'.

The author David Wingrove has had the books recast, changed the order of some of the content, and written several brand new prequels \ sequences and so on.

The first one's just come out 'Son of Heaven' - so I've dived into that. (For UK readers, it's actually priced at £2.99 in the Kindle store)

It's been long enough since I've read them, but the first two books are apparently totally new, leading up to where the 'original' first book started.

Anyone want to join me? (And I'm also going to try and play with these public notes things in Kindle 3.1 new software to see how THAT works as well!)

J.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments i've had the (original) first book on my shelf for ages - i used to work with a guy who was a huge fan and recommended to me - but have never got around to it. the question now is whether to read that or find the revamped version...

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Walker (reech) | 6 comments I'd suggest the revamped, since the author's suggested that he's 'straightened out and built in' things that people had asked about in the past.

Remains to be seen, I guess, but I've got Son of Heaven lined up and ready to read now *grins*

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments cheers. i'll have to wait for a paper copy, though, because as far as ebooks go i'm something of a luddite.

that will no doubt change; i originally said i wasn't going to get a mobile phone until they brought out the direct cerebral implant...

message 5: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 90 comments I have the first 8 books of the original paperback run on my shelf, but it's been years since I've read them. I think I'll have to give the series another go on the Kindle. Even in paperback, those books were unwieldy.

message 6: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 90 comments Just finished Son of Heaven. It's good!

message 7: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Have been thinking about re-reading the series for some time now. Good to hear that Wingrove took another stab at these and my interest is piqued. Will look for on Kindle and add to my 'to read list'. Never did finish the last in the series (#8). It has been so long, might as well start over at the beginning.

message 8: by James (new)

James Phillips (jimmyjonjames) | 3 comments I remember being intrigued by this series of books when it came out, but never picked it up. I totally forgot the title and the author but the main story idea stuck with me. I had hoped that I would run across it sometime again but never did. Thanks Jaime for posting this. I'm looking forward to reading it. Since I'm new to the series, I'll probably start with the revamped version.

message 9: by David (new)

David (strumwulf) | 8 comments I've read part of the orginal series, so I'm interested in reading the new books.

message 10: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 90 comments Son of Heaven fills in a lot of detail about the establishment of Chung Kuo. I recommend it!

message 11: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Interesting. I found a used copy years ago and remember loving it. Went back to reread it a few years later, came across a torture scene that for some reason I didn't remember reading the first time. That scene really disturbed me for some reason, and I had to put it down and haven't gone back. And I'm not easily disturbed by what I read. I have no idea why that particular scene bothered me.

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt (scifi451) | 18 comments WIll check it out, just downloaded the sample for the kindle application.