Dark Tower discussion

If you love the Dark Tower, you'll also love....

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Beckland | 1 comments Please finish the sentence

message 2: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 97 comments Mod
Love is strong word for it but the three David Gemmell books featuring Jon Shannow are pretty Tower-ish. The easiest way to describe them would be post-apocalyptic western.

The titles are Wolf in Shadow, The Last Guardian, and Bloodstone.

message 3: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I think people are having trouble coming up with answers because once the Tower hooks you, nothing else compares.

message 4: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

Jonathan Cullen (cullister) | 10 comments Mod
Hyperion! As discussed by Dan and me...somewhere, I forget.

message 5: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Hyperion! As discussed by Dan and me...somewhere, I forget."

Where haven't we talked about Hyperion? The further into Fall of Hyperion I get, the more I agree with you.

message 6: by Micheal (new)

Micheal Shea | 3 comments The Talisman

message 7: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Michealbank wrote: "The Talisman"

I forgot all about the Talisman. It's definitely Tower-ish.

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments I agree the Talisman is Tower-ish. In fact it is listed as one of the many books that have connections to the Dark Tower series. If you want a road-map and details of all the books with connections to the Dark Tower, just send me a message and I'll send it along. I found the road-map on the internet a few years ago and have updated the text a bit to correct typos and such.

Robert McCammon wrote a post-apocalyptic novel compared to The Stand called Swan Song. I really loved that book when I read it way back when and re-read it recently. It stands up to the test of time. It's one of my 5-star reads.

I'm planning on reading Dan Simmons Hyperion very soon, along with the other 3 in the series. I have them on loan from the library, and have heard great things about the series.

I've also enjoyed F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series, and as you read along it becomes clear that Repairman Jack and others are fighting to defend against the end of the world as we know it. It is lighter and faster reading than the Dark Tower, but enjoyable. The first in that series is The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) which (as noted) is also the 2nd book in Wilson's Adversary Cycle. The Repairman Jack books and The Adversary Cycle books are inter-related and could be read in a certain order for continuity, if desired. Go here to get a list of what Wilson refers to as "The Secret History of the World." http://repairmanjack.com/works.htm - it's a long list, including short stories from his short-story collections, and reading them all in the specified order would be quite an endeavor! Plus, Wilson is revising his last book in the whole of the two series, called "Nightworld" which is not scheduled for release until 2012. I plan on trying to read them all in order someday (after 2012)... I've read all the books, but am interested in reading them and the short stories in order to see all the connections (and, of course, the revisions to Nightworld); I'm crazy like that!

Will add to to-read list David Gemmell books: Wolf in Shadow, The Last Guardian, and Bloodstone. The Complete Chronicles of the Jerusalem Man. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hmmm... can't think of any other books... nothing really compares to the Dark Tower series. I believe it to be the best of Stephen King's; his magnum opus!

Debra

message 9: by Micheal (new)

Micheal Shea | 3 comments Have you guys read Ur? It is a really awesome DT tie in.

message 10: by Lila (new)

Lila (lila_bee) A nice tie in with DT is the short story from Everything's Eventual-Sisters of Eluria (I almost positive that's the correct spelling.) The "hospital" is also mentioned in Black House, which ties in with DT. Aside from the obvious DT tie ins, Sandman Slim, Johannes Cabal: Necromancer, and Dreadnought are a few books that I've recently read and thoroughly enjoyed.

message 11: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I'm officially recommending the Merkabah Rider books to Dark Tower fans. It's a weird western quest story and it's awesome. Only the first two books have been published so far, however.

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments I've since read Hyperion and thought it was great. I definitely recommend it. Now I'm going to start the next book in the series, The Fall of Hyperion.

I read the Thomas Covenant series a long time ago and remember loving it. I think people who enjoyed the DT series might enjoy this one. The first 3 books in the series are the best.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments Michealbank wrote: "Have you guys read Ur? It is a really awesome DT tie in."

I've got UR in my car which is being repaired! Aaarrgh! I am looking forward to listening to it.

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica (catshark209) | 24 comments Dan wrote: "I think people are having trouble coming up with answers because once the Tower hooks you, nothing else compares."

EXACTLY.

message 15: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Hunt (sahunt) | 5 comments Hi everybody!

If you liked the Dark Tower, you might like my love letter to the series, my recently-finished "The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree". My advance readers all gave it unanimously positive reviews.

It'll be free tomorrow and Tuesday, if anybody wants to pick it up and give it a try. 44 chapters, 120,000 words. There are even a few DT nods sprinkled throughout for anyone watching for them!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJCLMFU

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica (catshark209) | 24 comments Oooh gonna give it a whirl

message 17: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Hunt (sahunt) | 5 comments Monica wrote: "Oooh gonna give it a whirl"

You just made my day.

message 18: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Is the title a reference to a line in When the Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash?

message 19: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Hunt (sahunt) | 5 comments Yup. There's actually a whirlwind in the book itself, so it's not just a throwaway title.

message 20: by Monica (new)

Monica (catshark209) | 24 comments Bought. Thankee big big

message 21: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 16 comments S.A. wrote: "Hi everybody!

If you liked the Dark Tower, you might like my love letter to the series, my recently-finished "The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree". My advance readers all gave it unanimously positive ..."

Definitely going to have a read S.A. thanks for sharing :D

message 22: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Hunt (sahunt) | 5 comments Thanks all. My day is totally made. By the way, when/if you finish it, I am absolutely planning on writing a sequel. I'd like to make it a trilogy or longer.

message 23: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I downloaded it but I have to get a few other things off my plate before I dive in.

message 24: by Drew (new)

Drew (dmontag) | 3 comments I also downloaded "The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree" yesterday, and started reading it. Since I loved the Dark Tower series, I'm looking forward to this story.

message 25: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Hunt (sahunt) | 5 comments I hope you like it, Drew -- a thousand people have downloaded it during this week's promo period. If you guys like it, please leave me a review or rating on Amazon!

message 26: by Cristhian (new)

Cristhian | 2 comments Lord of the rings..obviously.

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica (catshark209) | 24 comments Cristhian wrote: "Lord of the rings..obviously."

Only one that comes close

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 4 comments Grateful for all of your recommendations! I just started the fifth book of the Dark Tower series, Wolves of the Calla. Reading this series has been mesmerizing and I have practically been dreading the series end, as I wasn't sure what else I could read that would compare.

message 29: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Nelson | 1 comments RIVERWORLD Imagine that every human who ever lived, from the earliest Neanderthals to the present, is resurrected after death on the banks of an astonishing and seemingly endless river on an unknown world. They are miraculously provided with food, but with not a clue to the possible meaning of this strange afterlife. And so billions of people from history, and before, must start living again.

Some set sail on the great river questing for the meaning of their resurrection, and to find and confront their mysterious benefactors. On this long journey, we meet Sir Richard Francis Burton, Mark Twain, Odysseus, Cyrano de Bergerac, and many others, most of whom embark upon searches of their own in this huge afterlife.

message 30: by Brad (new)

Brad Cook | 2 comments I'm recommending a book series by R.W. Ridley called The Oz Chronicles. It's a series of 7 books (book 7 not yet released) written for young adults. The first book, The Takers, is actually noted to recall The Stand, but I feel that it more closely resembles The Dark Tower series. It's full of crazy off the wall happenings, much like TDT. It features a band of "warriors" on a journey to put the world right after a devastating supernatural event. Even though this series is categorized as young adult, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend giving it a try. All the books are available for Kindle Unlimited but if you don't subscribe to that service, they are all available for purchase for less than $5.00 - well worth it IMO.

message 31: by Zak (new)

Zak Smith | 2 comments They Wheel of Time series may not quite be on par with the tower, like anything is, but is definitely worth a read. The series is twice as long but it keeps you interested.

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1 comments The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker
The "Otherland" series by Tad Williams
The Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton
All these books give the same rush as The Dark Tower books...believe me !

message 33: by Zak (new)

Zak Smith | 2 comments The Odd Thomas is a pretty good series with a great ending too.

message 34: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Murrish (babayada) | 1 comments ... Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

There is a sort of brutal, unrelenting grittiness to the Gunslinger. A focus on the cruelty and necessities of life, as well as indulgent cruelty. There's a sparseness to the style which matches the content. At the same time, it is poetic.

Blood Meridian has that in spades and more.

message 35: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (1985elyse) | 1 comments The Prince of Thorns series by Mark Lawrence. It has a great alternate universe with a theme of things left over after a (likely) nuclear disaster that is similar to the Gunslinger's world. It's dark and I really enjoyed it. I also recommend the Miriam Black series by Chuck Wendig. Although it doesn't have much in common with the dark tower specifically, fans of King's work will likely enjoy these books.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris Foster (chrisfoster) | 1 comments Hi Everyone!

Love this thread and thought I might let you know about my new book 'Of A Dark Heart'. It's a quest for revenge novel partly in our world and partly in a fantasy world, inspired from DT.

It has received positive reviews from reviewers so far, especially from fans of Dark Tower who enjoyed the almost poetic economy of words (well, the book ended up 70,000 words long, so there's still plenty of story.) :D

I've lowered the price manually on Kindle to 99c until Jan 2017, usually $3.99. (and I think Amazon has dropped it further to 74c, not sure for how long) There will be a second book, so if there's anyone who wants to be an advance reader let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Heart-Rev...

message 37: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Patch | 1 comments Yay, completed my Tower journey not long ago all 8 books in 4-5 months. I don't really think anything could compare to the scope and ambition of the Dark Tower really. Its too weird in a good way. Its also quite lit nerdy in the sense its a story about the process of story telling and fiction which scares some off. So I gave up trying to find other similar books I just reread Salem's Lot and then moved onto Brandon Sandersons Mistborn series which I haven't read yet. 100 pages into book 1 I am liking.

Paula pleasantVile | 5 comments There is nothing quite like the Dark Tower! Even Tolkiens journey (which was Kings inspiration) can only take the reader so far. The DT series takes us through Western post apocalyptic, Medieval (my favourite part) Fantasy parallels of earth as we know it, space, Hell and back to New England! While travelling this journey you find freinds you have been searching for all your life and foes you've been preparing for

message 39: by Erik (new)

Erik (erikhenryvick) | 1 comments Hello everyone,

The Dark Tower series is my favorite series of books. I'm disabled, and as I was learning to live with that, Mr. King's (and others) works kept me on the right side of the sane line. But, DT will always have a special place in my mind. It inspired me to take control of my life again, and to do something I can still do: write :)

I've just published my first dark fantasy novel, titled Errant Gods, all 720 pages of it, and was quite pleased to be compared to Mr. King and the Dark Tower series by both critics and readers on Amazon. I'd love it if you would check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VVZV74

Here is a smattering of relevant reader reviews:
--"This really ISN'T like Stephen King's Dark Tower series. This is far, far better and significantly scarier."
--"Yes, this is reminiscent of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but I found myself actually liking this wonderful book even more than I enjoyed that series."
--"If you like Stephen King's Gunslinger, you will like this.."
--"Does he really write in the chilling tradition of Stephen King, Joe Hill and Dean Kootz? Yes! And Errant Gods is equally as good as anything they've written."

And here is the review from Blue Ink:
--"Comparable to Stephen King's Gunslinger sequence (which is referenced in the novel) in terms of genre-blending originality and sheer creative courage, Vick's latest is a page-turning storytelling tour de force." -BlueInk Review

Thanks for taking a look!
Erik

message 40: by Kurtis (new)

Kurtis Rinas | 3 comments jOvian veiL is a multifaceted project that intertwines the creative writing of a Science Fiction Novella series with the raw emotion and energy of a Hard Rock Album. Each chapter has an associated track that expresses a certain emotion, mood or setting from the story. Drawing inspiration from a multitude of artists that span across a diverse range of projects (Stephen King’s ‘The Gunslinger’, ‘Fighting Fantasy’ Series of books, Nirvana, Tool, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age), jOvian veiL crafts their own unique story (and sound) while creating both the story and music in unison.

‘jOvian veiL – Menticide’ is the first book (and album) in a series where the reader can immerse themselves in not only the storytelling of the Science Fiction series but they can also experience the story from the author’s musical perspective.

Free download!!

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

‘All wiLL bE ReveAled”

message 41: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 1 comments The Kingkiller Chronicle

Paula pleasantVile | 5 comments Loved the first Kingkiller chronicles book but fell into a deep reading the second 😞😩😩

message 43: by Kurtis (new)

Kurtis Rinas | 3 comments The ‘Gunslinger’ was definitely an inspiration for the ‘jOvian veiL’ series of novella’s.

FREE sci-fi eBook (series) written with a Hard Rock album!!

jOvian veiL is a multi-faceted project that intertwines the creative writing of a Science Fiction Novella with the raw emotion and energy of a Hard Rock Album. Each chapter has an associated track that expresses a certain emotion, mood or setting from the story. Drawing inspiration from a multitude of artists that span across a diverse range of projects (Stephen King’s ‘The Gunslinger’, ‘Fighting Fantasy’ Series of books, Nirvana, Tool, Foo Fighters, Deftones), jOvian veiL crafts their own unique story (and sound) while creating both the story and music in unison.

FREE Download!

Book 1 - Menticide (Released Oct. 2017)

Book 2 - Sentient (Released Oct. 2018)

If you download and read the eBooks, please take a moment to leave a review. Also take a moment to check out the music, available on all major streaming services (look for jOvian veiL)