Amazon Kindle discussion

Real page numbers coming to kindle

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments ' Amazon says they've already started adding the page numbers to the most popular books, assuming they have "matching print editions."

It's probably easier for new releases; don't expect all those cheap classic lit editions to get the same pagination any time soon (unless perhaps there's an Oprah recommendation or movie adaptation that propels it to the top of the bestseller list).
  People who use the popular iPad, iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7 Kindle apps will get access to the page numbers in "the coming months." '

The Version 3.1 preview page has Amazon's info on the new changes, which include -- in addition to the long-requested page numbers -- extended features for sharing annotations and a new layout for magazines and newspapers on the Kindle.  Click the last link for examples.

message 2: by Morten (new)

Morten Nygaard Åsnes (mortenaa) | 2 comments Just installed the new update, none of my books have page numbers yet though.

message 3: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments Thanks Aaron, I am glad because sometimes when I am reading I wonder what page I am. I have to install the new update.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondukes) | 1 comments Morten wrote: "Just installed the new update, none of my books have page numbers yet though."

Hit "Menu" and you'll notice the page number pop on the bottom of the screen.

message 5: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments Kindle Software Update Version 3.1 -- Early Preview Release

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome...

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments I guess they do not have 3.1 for the kindle 2 yet.

message 8: by Morten (new)

Morten Nygaard Åsnes (mortenaa) | 2 comments Jason wrote: Hit "Menu" and you'll notice the page number pop on the bottom of the screen."

Thanks, got it. But still most of my books doesn't have page numbers, guess it'll take some time before all the books get them.

message 9: by Shaylin (new)

Shaylin (shayla11) | 1 comments Does anyone know if/when the software update will be available for Kindle 1 users?

message 10: by MsBeaglely (new)

MsBeaglely | 7 comments I just noticed that when you hit "Menu" and the select "Go To" that they added "Page" to the options. So far none of the books that I tested gave me page numbers.

message 11: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Shaylin wrote: "Does anyone know if/when the software update will be available for Kindle 1 users?"

Never. Kindle 1 is outdated and no longer gets updates.

message 12: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
This looks like a stupid and a waste of time update. There are much better thing Amazon could've spent their energy on than giving us meaningless page numbers. The numbers will change any time you change the font, the font size, the margin size. Page 100 for me could be page 214 for you.

message 13: by stormhawk (last edited Feb 08, 2011 08:16AM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments No, that's the point of this update ... the page number is the "real" page number, matching the physical book ... page 100 is page 100 for everybody, Kindle book or paper book.

There are other added features as well.

From the amazon 3.1 update page:

Public Notes -- This feature lets Kindle users choose to make their book notes and highlights available for others to see. Any Kindle user -- including authors, their fans, book reviewers, professors and passionate readers everywhere -- can opt-in to share their thoughts on book passages and ideas with friends, family members, colleagues, and the greater Kindle community of people who love to read. This is a new way for readers to share their excitement and knowledge about books and get more from the books they read. To review and turn on Public Notes in your own books, view the Public Notes of people you follow, track your reading activities, see Popular Highlights and your annotations, and view your full library of books, go to https://kindle.amazon.com.

Real Page Numbers -- Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. We've already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle apps in the coming months. If a Kindle book includes page numbers, press the Menu key in an open Kindle book to display page numbers.

Before You Go ... -- When you reach the end of the book, you can immediately rate the book, share a message about the book with your social network, get personalized recommendations for what to read next, and see more books by the same author.

New Newspaper and Magazine Layout -- We're introducing a new and improved layout for newspapers and magazines. This new layout gives you a quick snapshot of the news and helps you decide what you want to read first.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Acaster (goodreadscomlindaacaster) | 51 comments I've just opened up the wifi on my new Kindle3 and seem to be running Kindle 3.0.2 but no sign of page numbers. There again, most of my (few) books are indie authored. Do I understand this properly, that the page numbers will sit where the locations are at the moment, at the bottom of the screen, and won't impinge on the actual text? I used a Sony ereader for a while and it annoyed the hell out of my reading to have page numbers sitting over letters in a word showing where the page number turned on a print book. If I wanted to read a print book...

message 15: by Kerry (last edited Feb 08, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Kerry (kerrymcc) Neil supplied the link above to read more about the upgrade. The new version is 3.1...so 3.0.2 is an older version. To get the page number feature you need to download the software upgrade manually for now (eventually something will come over wifi).

Page numbers are currently seen by hitting the menu key, if you've upgraded, they don't sit on top of the text. They are alongside the location #

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Acaster (goodreadscomlindaacaster) | 51 comments Oh yes, sorry Michael [read your decimal points correctly, Linda!!]

So the next daft question is... how do I get my Kindle to update? I've only just downloaded a new book tonight and thought it would have updated automatically with that.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Linda, Amazon has not yet started to push this update out to Kindles yet. You can only download it manually by going to their site. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome...

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda Acaster (goodreadscomlindaacaster) | 51 comments Thanks, Patricia. As it's obvious that I don't know what I'm doing I won't fiddle but will await the wifi roll-out.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) This will definitely make it easier to compare notes with friends :) Could also be really good for textbooks and citations ...

message 20: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments Page numbers will be very useful for discussions during the monthly book club reads, between kindle and book readers :)

message 21: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments
If your Kindle book includes page numbers, you'll see page numbers displayed next to locations when you push the Menu button. Page numbers and locations are only displayed when the Menu button is pushed.

So it's a bit of a fudge really. After upgrade to 3.1 you only have % read on the progress bar. To get page number and location you have to press the Menu button whilst in the book.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 117 comments To me it's just more clutter I don't need, especially since Kindle saves your place. I can see where it would be handy for non-fiction books used as research, and for academic citations, but, yeah, I'd rather have a color Kindle than that. But it sounds like it will be easy to avoid, too.

Scott

message 23: by Tamsen (new)

Tamsen I guess I'm in a minority here - but I'm thrilled to have page numbers. I love it - it's nice especially when using a book site like Goodreads. I like knowing where I'm really at in a book.

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita I like the page #'s too, but I've adapted to % read....I have the new update, the best for me is the rating at the end of a book and updating right to fb if I wish.

message 25: by AH (new)

AH | 4 comments I found the lack of page numbers disconcerting at first. But now that they've added it I've gotten so used to the percentages that I rarely even notice the page number.

message 26: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 32 comments I do not yet have any books that show page numbers, so don't know how well that is going to work, but I had gotten used to seeing locations & liked having both the current location and the total locations showing at all times. In the interests, apparently, of making the page less cluttered they now show only the progress bar and percentage - I miss the always on locations - now you have to hit the menu button! If it had allowed more text on the page I would forgive them, but it doesn't as they still need that line for %. Has anyone read a book with page numbers? do they now appear at the bottom where locations used to be?

message 27: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Charlotte wrote: "Has anyone read a book with page numbers? do they now appear at the bottom where locations used to be?"

No, you still have to hit the menu button to see the page numbers - they show alongside the location numbers with an * in between the two. The line and the percent read number are still the only things on the screen while reading.

message 28: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments At first it was mildly annoying that the page number didn't appear while reading. But, I'm used to the progress line. It doesn't particularly bother me not to have the page number all the time.

message 29: by Mike (new)

Mike Weber (weberwithoneb) Rick wrote: "At first it was mildly annoying that the page number didn't appear while reading. But, I'm used to the progress line. It doesn't particularly bother me not to have the page number all the time."

I totally agree. I'll occasionally look at the page number now that it's there, but having it only makes me realize how much I didn't need it. The grass is always greener...

message 30: by Traci (new)

Traci (highxflyer) | 33 comments I'm pretty excited about the fact we now have page numbers. I am slightly annoyed it's not viewable the whole time but I really don't need it to be, it's just me and my OCD. I don't mind the progress bar I'm just glad we finally have page numbers.

message 31: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 35 comments Thanks for the info. I just updated the software on my brand new Kindle 3 (wifi & 3G) -- I got it last night with the Best Buy bucks I've been earning for the past 15-16 months. Sadly, the book I'm reading is a free one so it doesn't have page numbers yet...but that's okay. I feel so 21st Century with my toy!!!!

message 32: by Traci (new)

Traci (highxflyer) | 33 comments I've read a few free books that have page numbers. The one I'm reading now doesn't though.

message 33: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Susanne that is exactly what I am about to receive home - the same Kindle. I am so excited. A teeny bit scared too.