Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

What are you doing today? > Week of February 7th

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I hope no one minds that I start a new topic for this week....

SO, what is everyone working on this week?

I'm finishing up quilting the Remember Whooo Loves You quilt. I'm trying to love FMQ. It is so tough! It's not that I haven't figured out how to get good enough stitch quaility--although, with practice, I think I could really improve. It's that I have such trouble quilting a good pattern that doesn't look like a drunk sewed it. I tried a simple meander and I don't think it looks that great. I really think I'm going to have to try some type of method where I draw the pattern first on wash away stabilizer. I wouldn't have to follow the pattern exactly, but I think it would help to have a guide. I've never been able to draw so I don't know why I would think I can FMQ that well because it's like drawing on a quilt with thread.

The good news is that my 9-year old doesn't know the difference. She wants me to hurry up and finish. I have the outside border to quilt and then I will put on the binding. I'm going to try a new method I saw on a blog recently.

I also would like to get back to my BOM embroidery project I was working on so I can try the transfer sheets Kathryn sent me.

I think I'm going to dive into A Single Thread this week as far as reading goes.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
I haven't touched a sewing machine for over a month. But, I've read a lot of books and have almost finished the sleeves on my sweater. Today I read "Loco-Motive" by Mary Daheim. It's the latest in her bed and breakfast series. Now I'm going to read "The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag" which is the 2nd in the Flavia de Luce series.

message 3: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 18, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments new to the group! Redoing a 30s's quilt for my daughter-in law plus embroidering every minute while the t.v. is on and reading mysteries always.
What do I need to know to be with the program?

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments JMHO....

Read, quilt, and share when you can!

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Feb 18, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I just finished this wallhanging this morning

description

From a free pattern by Denise Russert on her website. http://justquiltin.wordpress.com/abou...

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I wanted to do this one--saved the pattern! I'm eagerly awaiting February's, too. Free is good!

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) It should be posted tomorrow right Shannon? I'm planning on making the entire years worth of wallhangings. I needed to make some small items that I could actually finish.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I think that's right...3rd weekend of the month?

I love penguins. Any issues with the pattern?

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Actually the templates for the outer border printed out smaller than they should have, but I think it was my printer was set to "fit to page" or something when I printed it out.

message 10: by Jaci (new)

Jaci Worth | 37 comments I have been working off & on for the last month on a quilt for my friend. She's coming to visit at the beginning of March, but I don't think that I will have it done by then! Darn vacation away from the sewing machine anyway!! Hope you are all doing well.

message 11: by Tanya (new)

Tanya #TeacherReader | 90 comments I'm trying to finish up several baby quilts with matching bags and winter wall hangings. I hope to make good use of this long weekend

message 12: by Judy (new)

Gee, Jaci, I don't think any of us are going to feel too sorry for you. I think I'd rather be in Hawaii vacationing than quilting. LOL!

FYI - Jaci is my niece. She left for Hawaii today to spend a week with my brother/her day and his wife Vicki. I'm so jealous - especially since we're under a severe winter weather alert, prediction for 6-8" more of snow.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Loved using jelly rolls. Made a batik quilt from Hoffman called Cotton Candy Jelly Rolls. Soft Shades.
Sure easy on the wrists instead of the rotary cutter.

From a book called Jelly Roll Quilts.

message 14: by Shannon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I finally started hand sewing the binding on the owl quilt this afternoon. I had to have something to do while watching HP Prisoner of Azkaban.

I had a rough week. Four kids and I were sick all week with the flu. They missed a whole week of school and I should of stayed home a couple of days from work, but only ended up staying home as planned for my birthday on the 17th. We called off my birthday dinner with my family, but we're having a mini celebration with just us. My oldest is at her Winterfest dance tonight.

I hope to be more productive next week. I started a quilt for a challenge before I got sick. I hope to get back at it next week.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Hope you and your family are recovered, Shannon. I hate being sick!

message 16: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Haven't checked in for some time but this morning I am doing so catch up with online stuff. I am still reading Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - put it down for some work stuff and didn't get back to it. I haven't been very inspired by reading lately. The dark of winter has been harder this year. I did sew a journal cover the other day and have been working on a BOM from Sue Spargo. Welcome to the new members.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments What's book of the month from Sue Spargo? For Good Reads?

Wanted to go shopping but it is snowing like mad.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Elizabeth, I think BOM stands for "block of the month"; but then, maybe you already knew this and just typed book rather than block. Oh well; I tried! LOL!

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments No I thought it this group Good Reads it meant Book of the month. I know at all our quilting BOM means Block of the Month. Thanks for the definition here.

message 20: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Sorry Elizabeth- book of the month does make sense! Where do you live? I am just east of Seattle and happy to have the rain back today!
Juliann

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Over by Arlington and have a very steep driveway and will not be able to go to quilting tomorrow because I do not have 4-wheel drive. We had 7 inches of snow here.

Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Single Thread (other topics)