SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

This, That or the Other > Book v. Movie

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Feb 07, 2011 10:49PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I'm curious. I've been known to skip over a book, if I've seen the movie. "Harry Potter" is one of the only books I've going back to read, after seeing the movies.

There are a TON of books made into movies that I've seen, but never read. Typically, I'm told, the books are far better than the movie.

Are there any movies that you think are better than the book?

Those I may make an exception for and read. :)

message 2: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Ummmm...almost all of them? Lol. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm usually disappointed in a movie if I've already read the book. There's just sooooo much more info in a book, that's it's impossible to fit it all into 2 hours.

That's why I'm loving this trend of turning popular book series into TV series, ala Sookie & GRRM's Game of Thrones. A season per book, how many episodes are normal for a TV season, 12-15? A book gets treated right with 12-15 hours of screen time. :)

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "Ummmm...almost all of them? Lol...."

LMAO!! I meant Movie Better Than Book! So, I would know what not to read after seeing the movie. :) Editing it now.

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "That's why I'm loving this trend of turning popular book series into TV series, ala Sookie & GRRM's Game of Thrones. A season per book, how many episodes are normal for a TV season, 12-15? A book gets treated right with 12-15 hours of screen time. :)"

Me too, in the case of Sookie. I'm enjoying Vampire Diaries (TV Show), but never have read the books. And, hubby and are looking forward to Game of Thrones.

message 5: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Lol! Now my answer looks moronic. ;)

message 6: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments No, I left my reply, so it makes perfect sense! :D

message 7: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I thought that the film Stardust was better than the book! And... erm.. that's all I can think of...

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments :D Thanks, Josie. I've seen that movie, but *surprise* never read the book. CHECK - skip book. LOL!

message 9: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments It's still an okay/good book, just that I loved the film and what they did with it (especially the ending!) :)

message 10: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments No worries. :) It wasn't one I was lookin' to read anyway.

message 11: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Josie wrote: "It's still an okay/good book, just that I loved the film and what they did with it (especially the ending!) :)"

Me too! That book was shi...not good compared to the movie.

Vampire Diaries -OMG, see above! Terrible books.

I'd take Legend of the Seeker over Wizard's First Rule though there were a couple of sections in the book that I wish the show had incorporated but it was family viewing. Probably can't show prolonged torture (of Richard) and the physical harm to a child, even if they deserved it, and I mean really deserved it! I clapped at that part. *evil smile*

I enjoyed Dexter more than Darkly Dreaming Dexter though I'll admit I fast read it when the show first came out.

There are some I equally loved or hated too.

message 12: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Hubby & I enjoyed watching Legend. He constantly complained b/c of things differing from the books though. LOL!

I've actually thought of reading the Dexter books b/c I love the show. Maybe one day ... :)

message 13: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I have my fingers crossed that the movie of I Am Number Four will be better than the book. Only 2 weeks to go until it's released in the UK.

message 14: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I'll be interested to hear what ya think of it. I just read your notes on the book. Sorry. That sucks. Fingers crossed for a MUCH better movie.

message 15: by Laura Lulu (last edited Feb 10, 2011 09:50AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I have my fingers crossed that the movie of I Am Number Four will be better than the book. Only 2 weeks to go until it's released in the UK."

The book sucks? Crap, I was looking forward to that movie--but I guess if the books sucks, the movie can only be better, right? :fingers crossed:

I thought of a movie that was better than the book, at least in my opinion--The Princess Bride.

message 16: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Now, that one I have read and seen. And, I wholeheartedly agree!

message 17: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I loved that movie, sad about the book because I have it and have yet to read it.

message 18: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 862 comments I agree on The Princess Bride. I did enjoy the book (though I think I read an abridged version), but the movie was a lot better. I loved it.

message 19: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I wouldn't rule out reading it, Ames, just liked the movie better.

message 20: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I have my fingers crossed that the movie of I Am Number Four will be better than the book. Only 2 weeks to go until it's released in the UK."

So, I'm curious. What did you think of the movie?

Also, I read Beastly by Alex Flinn and saw the movie. I liked them both. Anyone else see or read Beastly?

message 21: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Alyssa, the movie was much, much better than the book. They changed and left out quite a bit so everything finally made sense. I won't be reading the next book but I will watch the next movie.

I've read Beastly but the movie doesn't come out here until next month so I'll have to wait.

message 22: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I was reading the news on my iPad with my new Zite iApp. (If you have an iPad, this app is a must!) and found this post "10 Movies That Were Better Than The Book".

In it Jason says these are the top 10:
1. Stand by Me
2. Princess Bride (I have to agree)
3. The Graduate
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. High Fidelity
6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
7. M*A*S*H
8. The Firm
9. The Godfather (I)
10. Jaws (what could be more frightening than watching Jaws? Certainly not reading it.)