You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Today's Issues > The R-Word

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments "That's so retarded!"

Does anybody else find this word offensive?

I don't think anybody should be using it as a derogatory term to say something is stupid. There are plenty of other words to use instead of that.

People with mental retardation are exactly the same as us, it's just that their flaws are more easy to spot. Nobody is flawless, and we seems more "perfect" because our flaws are easier to hide.

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Retarded and Stupid mean the same thing by definition.

In a different context 'mental retardation' is a disease.

Honestly, I have ADHD. I know people who use 'ADHD' as a word for hyper. I really don't care. I just think people should get over it.

message 3: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments But the people who are saying something is "retarded", they aren't actually even thinking of the meaning of what they're saying.

Retarded and stupid are not the same.

Would one say "That's retarded" in front of someone who is mentally retarded?

message 4: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Probably not on purpose but honestly how many people do you think use retarded and think in their minds 'ha 'ha I'm making fun of me tally retarded people'. They're not. It's just another word for 'stupid'.

message 5: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments Exactly.
They're not realizing what they're really saying, and it's pretty much dehumanizing them.

message 6: by AA (last edited Feb 07, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

AA | 105 comments Dude, then you'd have to ask everyone to stop saying things like, "That's so lame" or "That's so gay".

Frankly, it's just another way of saying something is stupid. It's not offensive and it shouldn't be offensive.

Do you say things like "That's so lame"? Then technically, by your definition, anyone who says that would be offending people who can't walk.

Seriously, it's just a term, a word people use to describe something.

How is saying "retarded" dehumanizing people who are mentally handicapped?

I believe in freedom of speech, thank you very much.

message 7: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments I know what you mean, but neither "lame" nor "retarded" should be said.

Freedom of speech is fine, but using it that way is just not alright

message 8: by AA (new)

AA | 105 comments *facepalm*

But they're not meant to be offensive! If they are, the I see where you're coming from, but if someone says something and doesn't mean it in an offensive way, then you shouldn't take it like their fucking crapping on a certain set of people.

>.>

message 9: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Gay, I can understand if someone found offensive (because in litteral meaning it means 'happy') but I still don't and most gays don't either because people don't mean it offensively.

message 10: by *Sklip* (last edited Feb 07, 2011 06:14PM) (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments haha, to be honest, I use the term "retarded" all the time although I really shouldn't............

I put this topic purely out of curiosity as to what others this

message 11: by AA (new)

AA | 105 comments GreenDaisy the CIA Pirate wrote: "Gay, I can understand if someone found offensive (because in litteral meaning it means 'happy') but I still don't and most gays don't either because people don't mean it offensively."

See?

Why should you find something offensive if it isn't meant that way?

Besides, 'retarded' is just a term regular people use to describe mentally handicapped. But what is the actual term for a person with mental problems?

MENTALLY HANDICAPPED.

Not retarded.

message 12: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments Yes -_-

message 13: by AA (new)

AA | 105 comments Why? Because you can't come up with a counter-argument?

message 14: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag It's just a word. Take the stick out of your ass.

This politically correct crap will be the death of all our freedoms.

message 15: by AA (new)

AA | 105 comments Onyxliar wrote: "It's just a word. Take the stick out of your ass.

This politically correct crap will be the death of all our freedoms."

I agree!

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

I'll say whatever the fuck I want bitch! :D

message 16: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie Language Onyxliar. Lots of kids on this site and besides, it weakens your argument.

Though I agree with your view on political correctness in general.

I am tired of the nanny state thing, no salt, no sugar, no gasoline engines, etc. etc. Where do you think it will end?

I am afraid of civil disobedience if things don't change soon.

message 17: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag Dude, Amani is younger than me. Obviously I'm doing no damage with my "language".

I'll welcome civil disobedience if things don't change soon.

message 18: by AA (new)

AA | 105 comments lol it's true.

message 19: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag XD

message 20: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie Tisk tisk. There ARE kids on here; I wasn't specifically referring to Amani.

As to civil disobedience, it scares me to think of it.
But something HAS to change. Meanwhile, I'll just buy more ammo for the gun :) :)

message 21: by Unidragonfrag (last edited Feb 08, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Unidragonfrag I realize there's kids on here. I just don't care. I was just stating that if people younger than me are using even worst "language" than me, then what's the point? They're going to hear it eventually. And if they're on the internet for any amount of time, they're bound to stumble onto way worse then "get the stick outta your ass". Just sayin'.

Why would it scare you? It brings progress. We should probably buy more ammo, too. We need to get the shotgun I want, as well.

message 22: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag Yea, but you can't really buy nuclear warheads yet. I'm wanting the shotgun for close range combat with zombies. :)

YOU'RE AN APPLE! :P

message 23: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments I have a Katana... actually several... and other swords, daggers... Kamas... bows... you know what here's a pic of some of my weapons anyways... http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/3...

message 24: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag Who are your sources??? I want one!

We've got a bunch of swords and blades. Those should help, too.

I want a sniper rifle, too. If I get stuck up on a building, I'm just going to take 'em down until I run out of bullets.

message 25: by Adeolu (new)

Adeolu (quoter) | 2 comments I find the word offensive. Even if it's just a word, you're using a word that's used to label someone as a derogatory term. If everyone used your name to describe how bad something was: how would you feel?

message 26: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag Rose: True, very true. But that's a quick death for both them and me. I'd rather scope their heads and shoot 'em down.

Adeolu: It's just a word. I don't understand why that's not clear.. just a word. It doesn't hurt anyone.. and if it does, obviously their parents need to teach them to handle bullying better. Suck it up, ya know?

Are you insuating that mentally handicaped people don't have names and are simply called 'retard'? Because I highly doubt anyone would call someone 'Michelle' (or any proper name, actually) in a way to call them stupid. Improbable situation, but if it were to happen.. I'd laugh it off just like everyone else should if someone calls them a retard or any other "derogatory" term.

And maybe if they stopped acting like a retard, they wouldn't be called it so much that it offends them.. just sayin'.

message 27: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments Malise (Onyxliar) wrote: "Who are your sources??? I want one!

We've got a bunch of swords and blades. Those should help, too.

I want a sniper rifle, too. If I get stuck up on a building, I'm just going to take 'em down un..."

Mostly the internet lol.

message 28: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag Onyx or Malise works. Malise is just my writer's name (not my real name, either).

Cody: Oh yea! If you can buy human body parts on the 'net, I'm sure you can find someone selling nukes.