Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > Canada Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (last edited Feb 07, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 12 comments Canada's yearly contest of wit, wills and books is on this week... it's Canada Reads! check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/

You can watch the 1/2 hour video after each day's discussion. There was the first discussion today on Monday, then there will be another on Tuesday and Wednesday.

this year, rather than look for the best book of just one particular year, nominations were taken from an online poll of Canadians in search of the MOST essential Canadian novel yet.

the five finalists are:

The Bone Cage
The Birth House
Unless from our Puliter prize winning author, Carol Shields.
The Best Laid Plans
and the first ever nominated graphic novel...
The Complete Essex County!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to say that I LOVED The Best Laid Plans.

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 12 comments Watch the video of today's debate, Suzanne. I have a funny feeling that The Best Laid Plans may take the title. It's defender on the panel is well-spoken, enthusiastic and determined. Taking notes furiously as other panelists speak. This will certainly be interesting.

I think I will pick up The Best Laid Plans as well. Political satire doesn't make my number one list of most appealing books, but from what I'm hearing, I'm much more interested.

message 4: by Kokeshi (new)

Kokeshi | 42 comments Essex County is a brilliant graphic novel and a wonderful work of fiction!