Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Mock Printz 2012 > Mock Printz 2012 - Early Contenders?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Are we seeing any early contenders?

message 2: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments I'm readingCamo Girland it's pretty good. The character is in 6th grade so I don't know if this would be more of a Newbery contender than a Printz.

message 3: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments Nothing yet.

message 4: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (goodmd14) | 7 comments I haven't read any books released this year but I plan on reading Trapped as the premise sounds promising.

Plus I keep hearing good things about Across the Universe but the Printz tends to lean more towards the realistic and not science fiction/fantasy

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments I just put Across the Universe on hold. Looks good.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Dana wrote: "I'm readingCamo Girland it's pretty good. The character is in 6th grade so I don't know if this would be more of a Newbery contender than a Printz."
I just ordered this because I LOVED The Rock and The River. I will put it on both of my contender lists!

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Goodmd13 wrote: "I haven't read any books released this year but I plan on reading Trapped as the premise sounds promising.

Plus I keep hearing good things about Across the Universe but the Printz tends to lean m..."

I put Across The Universe on because I've also heard a lot of good buzz about it. Check out The White Darkness and Going Bovine, both of those have science fictiony elements!

I put Trapped on the list too. I have that on my TBR pile.

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments Kathy wrote: "Goodmd13 wrote: "I haven't read any books released this year but I plan on reading Trapped as the premise sounds promising.

Plus I keep hearing good things about Across the Universe but the Print..."

Don't forget about Shipbreaker, which I loved. Going Bovine is one of my favorites

message 9: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (goodmd14) | 7 comments So I will confess this now, except for a few of the honor books this year I have read all (though there are a few that I gave up half way through) of the Printz award and honor books.

Yeah Shipbreaker and Going Bovine both slipped my mind. Also, Octavian Nothing could be included the Science Fiction track.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Goodmd13 wrote: "So I will confess this now, except for a few of the honor books this year I have read all (though there are a few that I gave up half way through) of the Printz award and honor books.

Yeah Shipbr..."

I haven't read all the Printz Award or Honor Books and really need to do that! I am going to make a poll...

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (slrampey) | 2 comments I've read Shipbreaker, but had a hard time getting into it. I will probably listen to it, sometimes that seems to work better.

I am currently reading The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge. It's pretty good so far.

message 12: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jennmonk) | 41 comments I've started Divergent. Could be a good one...

message 13: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments When you finish, I would love to borrow it to read. I promise to return it or you could have my little dog, and I wouldn't give him away for anything in the world. I just want to read it.
June

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Martinez Kirby | 8 comments I was a little disapointed with Across the Universe. It was good, but not as wonderful as I expected from all the hype. Worth the read, but not a Printz contender in my opinion.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Amanda wrote: "I was a little disapointed with Across the Universe. It was good, but not as wonderful as I expected from all the hype. Worth the read, but not a Printz contender in my opinion."

Really? I have it hear but haven't jumped into it. I'm really curious now!!!

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) | 68 comments I also agree that Across the Universe is not a Printz contender. It did not stand out from the ever-growing pack of dystopian novels.

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma and Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard are the two 2011 books that have stood out to me as exceptional so far.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Dana wrote: "I'm readingCamo Girland it's pretty good. The character is in 6th grade so I don't know if this would be more of a Newbery contender than a Printz."

I finished Camo Girl and while it was good, I don't see it as a contender. Even though listed as YA, I agree with Dana, it reads more like a Newbery than a Printz. Though, it was not nearly as powerful as The Rock and the River so I'm not sure of it's chances there either.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (heykellyjensen) Whitney wrote: "I also agree that Across the Universe is not a Printz contender. It did not stand out from the ever-growing pack of dystopian novels.

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma and Like Mandarin by Kirsten..."

I'm gunning early for Imaginary Girls. Whew! It has the writing, the intrigue, the mystery.

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (heykellyjensen) One I'm thinking about: Leverage by Joshua Cohen. Could be a potential contender.

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jennmonk) | 41 comments Sadly, I had to pass the ARC of Divergent on. It belongs to my library system, not me. I think it could be a contender.

I'm really interested in Imaginary Girls. One of my co-workers booktalked it today and now I can't wait to read it!

Sad to hear about Across the Universe. Still might give it a try, though.

message 21: by EL (new)

EL (elreads) | 11 comments Amanda wrote: "I was a little disapointed with Across the Universe. It was good, but not as wonderful as I expected from all the hype. Worth the read, but not a Printz contender in my opinion."

I agree.

message 22: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments Kathy wrote: "Are we seeing any early contenders?"

I just got a copy of Anya's War. It's about a Jewish girl in 1937. That's about all I know at the moment.

message 23: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (goodmd14) | 7 comments So I have been reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver and not a Printz contender in my eyes....I am debating if I really want to read the last 100 pages.

My next book to read is Trapped over spring break.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Goodmd13 wrote: "So I have been reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver and not a Printz contender in my eyes...

What? You can abandon Delirium in the last pages!?? We loved that book here!

What don't you like, cuz I know we will be reading it!

message 25: by Trish (new)

Trish Doller (trishdoller) I'd have to agree that Like Mandarin could be an early contender. Also, Illegal by Bettina Restrepo is excellent.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Mar 08, 2011 05:23AM) (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 3 comments I just finished Judy Blundell's Strings Attached and it is absolutely fantastic. Definitely a must-read and I think it's a Prinzt contender.

Shades of Grey is also a great historical fiction, and one my students have been raving about.

message 27: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments I've been hearing good things about this book. I have n't gotten a hold of it yet though Nickel Plated

message 28: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments Books that I have been thinking about, but haven't read yet.
Divergent
The Piper's Son
Beauty Queens

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Dana wrote: "I've been hearing good things about this book. I have n't gotten a hold of it yet though Nickel Plated"

Just read the book list review. Will be checking it out.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Ms. Mulhern Gross wrote: "I just finished Judy Blundell's Strings Attached and it is absolutely fantastic. Definitely a must-read and I think it's a Prinzt contender..."
Putting it on the list. I loved her What I Saw And How I Lied!

message 31: by Lea (new)

Lea | 1 comments Beauty Queens was great, definitely a contender.

message 32: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 8 comments I also recently finished STRINGS ATTACHED. I found it a great, well written and unique story, but I had to keep reminding myself that this is a YA, not adult book and the main character is a teenager. I'm still trying to determine whether that was a strength or a weakness when looking at the Printz.

message 33: by EL (new)

EL (elreads) | 11 comments I'm listening to the audio of The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal. Loving it so far! Maybe not a Printz contender but maybe it will get a look as a Morris debut novel contender.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Elaine wrote: "I'm listening to the audio of The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal. Loving it so far! Maybe not a Printz contender but maybe it will get a look as a Morris debut novel contender."

I enjoyed this one! I'll put it on the list, might attract people to the title.

message 35: by Franki (new)

Franki Sibberson | 13 comments I just finished CHIME by Franny Billingsley and LOVED it. It is getting great reviews and I think it is definitely an early contender. I've also read Across the Universe, Matched and Delirium. I enjoyed those but don't think they are contenders. CHIME, however, is one of my favorites in a while.

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Franki wrote: "I just finished CHIME by Franny Billingsley and LOVED it."

It will be on the poll since it has 4 starred reviews so far!!!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah BT | 7 comments Chime is a must read and right now the biggest contender I've read. It's up to six starred reviews and is fantastic!

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah BT | 7 comments Goodmd13 wrote: "So I have been reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver and not a Printz contender in my eyes....I am debating if I really want to read the last 100 pages. "

I haven't finished it yet-and I've been trying to read it since January! It's just not for me. But one of my teens said to skim the book and read the last 100 pages-that was the best part.

message 39: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (goodmd14) | 7 comments Sarah-Greenbeanteenqueen wrote: "I haven't finished it yet-and I've been trying to read it since January! It's just not for me. But one of my teens said to skim the book and read the last 100 pages-that was the best part.
"

I ended up skimming the last 100 pages and I really doubt I will read the follow up books.

message 40: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Sarah-Greenbeanteenqueen wrote: "Goodmd13 wrote: "So I have been reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver and not a Printz contender in my eyes....I am debating if I really want to read the last 100 pages.

I haven't finished it yet-and I've been trying to read it since January! It's just not for me. But one of my teens said to skim the book and read the last 100 pages-that was the best part..."

I really don't think it is a Printz contender either; although, your student is correct- the beginning is very slow and took me a long time to get through, but the last 100-200 pages are really good. And the ending...

message 41: by Franki (new)

Franki Sibberson | 13 comments I enjoyed Delirium and love the author's other book but I agree that I don't see Delirium as a contendor for the Printz either. It is a fun read for kids who love Dystopia.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Chime is topping the polls right now with Blink & Caution not far behind. Has anyone read that one?

message 43: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments I have both. Tried to get into Chime, but put it down. I know that it has all kind of stars.

message 44: by Diane (new)

Diane | 10 comments I was another reader who just couldn't stick with Chime, even though I remember a couple of Billingsly books from a few years back that I really enjoyed. But after the encouraging comments to stick with it, I went back and finished. The problem with knowing that there is a twist, though, is that you can pretty much figure out what it will be.

message 45: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments I plan to go back and finish it, but just not at this moment.

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Ok, yesterday I finished Across the Universe and I was not blown away. Though it was an enjoyable read with a great concept, it had too many moments of predictability. There were chapters were I felt drawn in by the story but they were then eclipsed by too much story and not enough depth.

message 47: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jennmonk) | 41 comments Ms. Mulhern Gross wrote: "I just finished Judy Blundell's Strings Attached and it is absolutely fantastic. Definitely a must-read and I think it's a Prinzt contender.

Shades of Grey is also a great historical fiction, an..."

Between Shades of Gray is definitely a contender in my opinion.

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Martinez Kirby | 8 comments Can't wait to read the Piper's Son, I love anything by Melina Marchetta. Just finished Okay For Now and loved it.

message 49: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments I totally agree about Between Shades of Gray. I loved it.
Going to read Saving Franchesca 1st; then Piper's Son.

message 50: by elissa (new)

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 52 comments I really liked Okay for Now, too, but had some trouble with suspending disbelief. It's my favorite book of his, though, and since the others are award-winning, I suppose this one could be, too.

« previous 1