Fast Times At Sunnydale High discussion

General Chat > POLL: Favorite Whedon men

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
Ok, we had a thread about the female characters in Joss' shows. Let's talk about the boys! Who are your favorites? Least favorite?

Andrew
Angel
Angelus
Book
Captain Hammer
Clem
Connor
Dr. Horrible
Giles
Gunn
Jayne
Jonathan
Mal
Oz
Riley
Simon
Principal Synder
Spike
Xander
Warren
Wash
Wesley
Mayor Wilkins
Principal Wood

I'm sure I'm missing some. Discuss!

message 2: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) Angel and Spike! Amazing in every way.

And then maybe Wash, just because I want to go up and hug him all the time :)

message 3: by Beth (last edited Feb 08, 2011 06:13PM) (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
Great choices, Miranda.

My list would be:
1. Spike
2. Mal
3. Angelus
4. Tie: Wash/Xander
5. Tie: Andrew/Jonathan/Oz

I like Angel and all, but Angelus is just so much more interesting!

message 4: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) Beth, I can see why you think Angelus is more interesting. I might be inclined to agree with you except that I don't think you can really separate Angel and Angelus. They're two halves of a whole. Angel would be a completely different person without his past as Angelus and the constant danger that he poses And Angelus would be completely different without Angel's human past, as well as his present. Angel's human life was all that Angelus knew when he was first turned, and so had to build his personality from it out of necessity. They both dress the same, talk the same, etc. I think the show even suggests that Angelus is the demon and Angel is the man. So together they make the vampire. So really, I guess I like them both.
Wow, that sounded suitably nerdy...

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) Definitely Xander.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
Miranda, I guess you're right; separating Angel and Angelus is a little like trying to separate Spike from William, and Spike with the chip, and Spike with the soul. (Love Principal Wood's reaction: "So, he has a trigger, a soul, and a chip?") They're all part of why Spike was such a great character.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
LOVE Xander. His character was so consistent, too. I mean, he grew and changed, but I only got really mad at him once, when he left Anya at the alter. There were lots of times I thought Buffy or Willow or Giles or one of the others were being jerks, but Xander was so rarely jerky, he's really easy to love. Always fixing things, cracking a joke, keeping the group together.

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) Giles is my favorite. My least has to be Riley...he was boring. Giles has lots of experience....

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
Joyce, Giles is awesome. Especially in "Band Candy." I was lucky enough to meet Tony at a Buffy con. A female fan was in tears saying how much it meant to her to meet him, and kind of pouring out her sob story about how her life was falling apart, and he listened attentively, then gave her a big hug. Then he gave her friend a hug. And just that quick, a line formed for hugs, and he was busy hugging fans for a while. He's a great hugger. :)

message 10: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) Giles was so good! I love his Britishness :) And I agree about Riley, he was just annoying.

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Alther (hawkbrother) | 2 comments Giles is my favorite, at least as far as "fully human" males go.
Xander I found annoying,during the first few seasons, but by the end was more likable, and it was heartbreaking when Caleb destroyed his eye.
As for the vamps, Angel over Spike-until the latter's self-sacrifice in the final episode.
Did not like Principal Snyder, but did not want him killed off, he was perfect for the role of a minor villain. Alternatively, he is not killed off, but wakes up and realizes that he needs to go over to the side of the Scoobies.
Principal Wood interesting,too bad show ended.Liked to have seen how his relationship with Faith developed.

message 12: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) Loved the episode "Band Candy" and any episode with Giles and Ethan because his Ripper side comes out.

Beth you were so lucky!

I agree Xander did start out to be a bit annoying but by the end he was so great. I think he had the most growth in the show.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
Oh yeah, Joyce, love the episodes with Ethan, too. I was really hoping for a Ripper spinoff show when Buffy ended.

Patrick, I would have liked to see more of Principal Wood, too. He's a great actor and brought an interesting dynamic to the group.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Mod
Gaa, I forgot to add Doyle to my list! And Lorne! Yeesh, sorry about that.

message 15: by Anastacia (new)

Anastacia (ana3) | 11 comments Favourite
Xander
Angel
Spike
Least favourite
Clem
Rak
Caleb

message 16: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Love so many, but I tried to be picky...

Angel/Angelus
Spike
Oz
Wes
Xander
Giles
Jayne
Mal
Wash

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 2 comments Spike and Giles are my favourites. Least - Riley, so annoying

message 18: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilycoal) | 2 comments Spike, Giles, Jonathan, Xander, Oz, Wash (is not dead lalalala), Mal, Wesley, Book, Jayne, Angel, the guy who was also on Battlestar Galactica and Dollhouse and Victor from Dollhouse. Somewhat in that order.

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace Angel
Captain Hammer
Clem
Connor
Dr. Horrible
Giles
Jayne
Mal
Oz
Spike
Xander