Mr. Seibert's Reading Class discussion

Pages 1-33

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments What is the cultural context in the story? What signifance does this has for the rest of the book? How do you think your life would be if were to live in this period of time?

message 2: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments What is your idea of what this book will be about based of the thing you have read in pages 1-33 ONLY? Give two connections of this book with your everyday life? Why did you choose these particular connections? Do they have something to do with what you think we'll read ?

message 3: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Havelyn wrote: "What is the cultural context in the story? What signifance does this has for the rest of the book? How do you think your life would be if were to live in this period of time?"

The cultural context of the book is just a little bit in the future.Also that theyy live in the middle of nowhere.That changes the book by alot.My life would be way different by the way i would feel.Watching girls fight to ther death is like committing suicide.I would feel very bad for the girls in that time period.

message 4: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Havelyn wrote: "What is your idea of what this book will be about based of the thing you have read in pages 1-33 ONLY? Give two connections of this book with your everyday life? Why did you choose these particular..."

At first i actually thought there were gonna be no boys in the book since Katniss family didnt have a boy sibling.But thats when Gale came along.She is so much in love in him.I am making an connection with the time when i had woods behind my house.Its like the same way with Katniss.Animals would roam freely in the woods.Also to the time when my little sister wanted a cat and i wasnt that much of a cat fan so i barely touched it.Its like the same way Katniss feels about Buttercup.The part about the woods has the most affect,i can already see that.

message 5: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Why did you have to make the questions so hard.Yes i was able to answer them but we just got the book and your giving us these question that it would be easy in the middle of the book.But i actually like this book.

message 6: by Shyen (new)

Shyen Hardiman (ShyenHardiman) | 56 comments Havelyn wrote: "What is the cultural context in the story? What signifance does this has for the rest of the book? How do you think your life would be if were to live in this period of time?"

The cultural context is into the future i think about 30 years from where we are today. This makes the book different in a lot of ways. It kinda makes it Sci-Fi.
If i was in this time period i think i would have a little more self-urgency. (I dont know why.)

message 7: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments the cultural context is the future from what i can tell.i came to this conclusion because they said what used to be north america.this will make the rest of the book more interesting knowing the time period and situation.if i lived in this time my life would be a disaster because i pass out when im hungry and i cant so that.but i would also be the confident if picked for the hunger games

message 8: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments im anxious to see what is to come who will win the hunger games.who is the best killer.im anticipating that katniss will win because she is the speaker after all.two connections is the poverty and kindness of people.you see this stuff on a daily bases.

message 9: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Havelyn wrote: "What is the cultural context in the story? What signifance does this has for the rest of the book? How do you think your life would be if were to live in this period of time?" I believe the cultural context of this story is during the time North America clasped; therefore, I would conclude that this happened after 2012 when the world would end. Also, a major event that has happened during this time is the Reaping. The Reaping is a significant time when someone is entered into the Games to either win food or die. This day is a very imperative day to join at the square. Also, a major law that is in this time period is that many people don't go to trial or be imprisoned if you don't come to the Reaping. You are automatically sent to death. The cultural context definitely has a huge impact on the rest of the story. The characters are very nervous at going to attend the Reaping because you never know what may happen there. Also, the characters are restricted from hunting or finding their own food; which is hard when you are in the need for food. There are several people who are hungry in this story. I believe my life would be miserable because I would suffer from hunger and seeing my mother and sister suffer as well.

message 10: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Havelyn wrote: "What is your idea of what this book will be about based of the thing you have read in pages 1-33 ONLY? Give two connections of this book with your everyday life? Why did you choose these particular..." I believe this book will based itself around the Hunger Games and obstacles the contestants will have to face. I also believe this book will explain more about how people are hungry and will do anything to have a piece of fresh bread to eat and share with their family. I can connect to this story because my sister was placed in a situation where she was clueless on what to do, and as her older sister, I had to step in and protect her from the danger that was coming for her. Also, I was in a situation where I had to decide whether if I wanted to share my last piece of cheese stick with my sister or eat it myself. I chose these two connections because it relates to how Katniss and her family had to make choices on how to save and share among themselves. I had to make a decision to share my last with my sister and protect her from danger. I believe one lesson I will learn is that choices will and can affect your tommorow.

message 11: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments Anson wrote: "Why did you have to make the questions so hard.Yes i was able to answer them but we just got the book and your giving us these question that it would be easy in the middle of the book.But i actuall..."

Not really I just wanted to push you guys because I know you can achieve more :)