Chick Lit discussion

Shopaholic series American vs. English versions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hollyhocks (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Hollyhocks I was just curious if anyone knew if there were big differences between the American and English versions of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series

And I'm wondering, if they use the original title for the movie .. how will it change the movie?

message 2: by Laurie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Laurie Devine | 1 comments I've read books from both the American and British versions and did not notice any differences. We were overseas visiting family in Europe when a couple of them came out, so I have both versions within my set. Since the story is set in the UK, they pretty much stick to using British terminology when there and American terminology when she was in Manhattan.

I don't think it will change the movie either way.

message 3: by Angie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Angie (wallabygold) I didn't realise there was a movie, whens it coming out? I would like to see it

message 4: by Hollyhocks (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Hollyhocks Thanks for all the comments everyone! This is all I know about the movie .. and it looks like they are going w/ the American title maybe ... You'll probably have to cut and paste

http://buzzsugar.com/tags/Confessions...

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments Thanks for the link! I must say after reading the comments on buzzsugar that I agree with most of them. I hate that they are bringing the movie to America, I loved that the books took place in England. And I realize Isla is Australian but she would be fine using a Bristish accent. Why does Hollywood demand to bring these books to life in America? They are doing the same thing with P.S. I Love You which in the book takes place in Ireland. It's frustrating! I do think Isla will be great as Becky. Who do y'all think should play Luke and Suze?

message 6: by Charlene McConnell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Charlene McConnell | 7 comments I read on another site that the character of Becky was going to be played by an American actress instead of a British one--- this is just a rumor, I hope it's not true!

Charlene

message 7: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments On IMDB it shows Isla in the role of Becky...they don't usually post names until it's definite, but you never know.

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments I just looked on IMDB and it is now showing Krysten Ritter (she was on Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars) will be playing Suze. She is an American, so I can assume they are making this a full American version, I suspect Isla will not be using her native accent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093908/

message 9: by Hollyhocks (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Hollyhocks Hopefully Krysten Ritter will adopt a British/English accent much in the way Rene did for Bridget .. I'm hoping she's the only American actor they use too!

I do have to say I'm struggling with these books cuz Rebecca is such an idiot .. I don't get it! I don't know that I would be friends w/ her if I knew her .. so I think instead of listening to them I might have to read them so I can get through all the obnoxious parts quicker ..

message 10: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) yay I'm so excited they are making a film. I think Isla Fisher would make a good Becky as she was really good at the ditzy character in The Wedding Crashers. Do you think they're gona just make the first book (the best :)) into a film or is a shopaholic film gona be coming out every year for the next 5 years?

message 11: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments I posed that same question...maybe they will do a little combining, but I doubt they are going to make it a series. But who knows?