The Bookworms of RVA discussion

"Distant Star" Roberto Bolano

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gene (new)

Gene (stromangd) | 55 comments Mod
Meeting will be Sunday, March 6th - 6 PM at Lamplighter Roasting Co.

message 2: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
There is an excellent recap of the life and times of Roberto Bolaño which in a strange way mirrors the stuff of his books.

http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/...

from the article:

1980s
Bolaño works odd jobs (nightwatchman, etc.) in Spain but also wins a literary prize for a co-authored novella. By the nineties, he makes his decision to earn a living from fiction.

Diagnosed with liver disease.

1996–2002
Bolaño, said to be able to write for 48 hours straight, publishes on average a book a year. In 1998, Los Detectives Salvajes comes out in Spanish. He dies in 2003.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will | 1 comments I'm excited to read this because, first, I love a good detective yarn. Also, I have yet to delve into Latin American Literature much at all, though I know there is a wealth of great writers there. So I'm going to Borders today to pick it up.

message 4: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
A podcast interviewing a Stanford Professor who just finished a book on the man - challenging some of the core tenets of the Bolaño myth.

http://french-italian.stanford.edu/op...

message 6: by Gene (new)

Gene (stromangd) | 55 comments Mod
That Guardian article is the first one I came across. N, have you read Nazi Literature in the Americas? At the meeting, I'd be interested to hear exactly what was transferred between the two books. I'm only 30 pages through so far (been so busy with school this month) so I'll have to read it a day or two before the meeting.

message 7: by N (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
I read it awhile back. I'll see if I can get the copy of Nazi Literature in Americas checked out from the library and bring it over to the meeting.

Btw, Silence Before Bach was a great experience - more so because it divided people into two opposite camps at the extremes.

message 8: by N (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
Nazi Literature in Americas is all reviews with some greatly grotesque blurbs.
Here are two of those:

**As a young man Salvatico advocated, among other things, the re-establishment of the Inquisition; corporal punishment in public; a permanent war against the Chileans, the Paraguyans, or the Bolivians as a kind of gymnastics for the nation; polygamy; the extermination of the Indians to prevent further contamination of the Argentinian race; curtailing the rights of any citizen with Jewish blood; a massive influx of migrants from the Scandinavian countries in orderto effect a progressive lightening of the national skin color, darkened by years of promiscuity with the indigenous population; life-long writer's grants; the abolition of tax on artist's incomes; the creation of the largest air force in South America; the colonization of Antarctica; and the building of new cities in Patagonia.

**His passage through literature left a trail of blood and several questions posed by a mute. It also left one or two silent replies.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rockburn (rockburn) | 10 comments Finishing this today. Love it so far... very readable and a pleasure.

Just so I know, N, how do you pronounce 'Wieder'? I'm saying it as 'Vee-dur' in my mind.

message 10: by N (new)

N | 108 comments Mod
Yea, what Alex said in the meeting. I had no idea. Good meeting.