Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > Buying from Penguin Books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments This is cross posted - I'm really looking for some advice.

One of favorite authors is Mercedes Lackey. Her books started me reading fantasy so I have always had a rather large soft spot for her (to the point I can read her drivel and be happy).

I've bought tons of ML books (even when she pub'd with Tor and they had binding issues) before switching to ebooks.

Now that I’m reading ebooks, she’s got me stuck again! I bought her latest book in the Valdemar series ($13+) and it wasn’t that great (I was prepared for that).

I'm currently reading her backlist again and I’m stuck. I’ve purchased most of these books in paper format but I want to read them on my reader. I don’t have a personal issue with format switching/conversions so I started by downloading a few off of the dark net. Horrible, horrible formatting, non-working TOC, and missing illustrations. I’m kinda anal so I decided to say F*ck it! and just by the Penguin pub’d versions (@$6.99 or more each).

I started with only 1 because I’d heard that Penguin press has some formatting issues. *sigh* The copy is OK. The illustrations are present (not great condition but present) and there are chapter breaks.

The issues: Nobody proof read the damn thing! I was SO ticked to see tons of formatting and spelling errors. Really ticked. Even character nicknames are misspelled!

Should I expect this from all of Penguin’s products? This will let me know if I’m spending any more money there.

Can someone teach me how to edit text in Calibre or something? I removed DRM so I should be able to correct the publisher’s mistakes, shouldn’t I?

I’ve also given some thought into dropping ML a line to two to let her know how horribly upset I am, but figured that wouldn’t do me a bit of good.

What would you (all) do?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've found the same problem in Roc and Tor (tho only very seldom with Tor). I don't think its really the publisher so much as the ePub institution as a whole. It's still a growing, changing industry and I don't think there are enough failsafes in place yet. I know I've literally found hundreds of errors in all the books of the Emberverse series that I dl'd from Amazon. Now, in their defense they did later issue corrected versions. The best thing you can do is just self edit as you had mentioned. Email me later and I'll walk you thru the editing process on calibre. Tons of options!

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Feb 07, 2011 01:53PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "I've found the same problem in Roc and Tor (tho only very seldom with Tor). I don't think its really the publisher so much as the ePub institution as a whole. It's still a growing, changing industr..."

I am going to take you up on teaching me to edit! Don't quit on me 1/2 way through. :)

But I have to say that there are some errors that HAVE to be more than ePub errors - it is a lack of proofing. I feel like someone ran the book through a spell check without checking to make sure the right words were being corrected.

Ex: The nickname for mercenary in Lackey's books is "merc" - I've seen "merc" spelled as "mace" and "mere." There is a character named Kerowyn - nickname "Kero." I can't even list the variations of "Kero" I found. And that's before I get to the fricking fracking italics and bolds in the wrong spots and/or falling in and out in the same paragraph! Arrrg!

Ok, I *might* be a little anal about my books. :-)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

*grins* mercernary? Just teasing, MrsAnalRetentive! Don't hit me! ;)

Lol and I agree there is definitely a sore lack of proofreading!

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "*grins* mercernary? Just teasing, MrsAnalRetentive! Don't hit me! ;)

Lol and I agree there is definitely a sore lack of proofreading!"

LOL! I'm good. I can laugh at my poor spelling (if God wanted me to spell, he would have never created spellcheck :)

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm very picky about this, as well. I hate getting ebooks that look like a two-year-old scanned it. I can't read them and put them down.

Who converts these books into ebook formats, anyway? I mean the professional ones. Does anyone know how to get a job doing so? I think it'd be something extremely fun to do, and I'd be so much better at proofing...LOL

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Jason wrote: "I'm very picky about this, as well. I hate getting ebooks that look like a two-year-old scanned it. I can't read them and put them down.

Who converts these books into ebook formats, anyway? I me..."

I don't think publishers want anal people like us editing their stuff. We'd find all the mistakes. That's too much like right. :)

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna Montgomery (donnamontgomery) | 10 comments I'm not sure how it is with other stores because I've only ever had a Kindle, but Amazon will refund e-book purchases for this kind of thing. I think their time limit is 7 days, I did it once for a book with a lot of errors.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I wish! Penguin makes you read a notice that basicly says "no refunds, no exceptions" before you can put a book in the cart.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Montgomery (donnamontgomery) | 10 comments Oh, ick.

I'd probably still try to email or write a letter about the problems with the book, especially the part about how you'd intended to buy the whole series until you saw how badly done they were. Even if they stick by their no-refund policy, at least you'd get the satisfaction of venting! They'd also know that people are paying attention to the quality of their e-books, and that being so sloppy is costing them sales.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I just took your advice and contacted the company. I think that if it were anyway possible that they could care less...

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I received an email from Penguin today. They appoligized for the bad work, tried to claim it was the fault of the original print copy (though I own the print copy and it's nothing like that) and offered me a one time 10% discount.

heh

message 13: by Donna (last edited Feb 15, 2011 01:31AM) (new)

Donna Montgomery (donnamontgomery) | 10 comments That's just silly, because even if there were issues with the original work, that wouldn't justify their lack of correcting the digital file. It's also disappointing that they didn't offer a refund.

At least the rest of us know to be careful about buying from Penguin now.

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Very true. I so want to buy books from them, my favorite author has her backlist there. :-( My husband told me that it's not worth using the discount. I agree.