Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dawn's January Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments A little late, but that seems to be the story of my life these days!

The Sentry by Robert Crais 10 - always a good book when we get to know Joe Pike a little better.

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie 7 - A haunted house, some supernatural and an ex husband.

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson 10 An awesome second book in the series, with an ending that made me immediately start the next one.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments I guess I need to at least try a book by Stieg Larsson. I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about them ;)

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Susie in KS wrote: "I guess I need to at least try a book by Stieg Larsson. I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about them ;)"

I've only read the first one, but it didn't really grab me. I had read so much about the books that I guess I had some kind of an idea in my head about them and whatever that idea was, the book wasn't it. It took me a long time to read, and the story was good, but I just expected more?? I've got the 2nd one and will probably try & read it when I get my hip thing done in a couple of weeks.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Susie, I highly recommend it. I'll warn you the first book is a little hard in the very beginning...I think its all the Swedish names, and unfamiliar setting - at least for me...but you are quickly past that and flying through the book. Its a unique and wonderful series.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Melodie, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it...hope if you get a chance to read the second one, you enjoy it more. Are you having surgery on your hip? Have you ever had it before? Good luck and wishes for a quick recovery, and lots of reading time in the meantime.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Dawn wrote: "Melodie, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it...hope if you get a chance to read the second one, you enjoy it more. Are you having surgery on your hip? Have you ever had it before? Good luck and wishes ..."

I'm getting a hip replacement 2 weeks from today. Haven't had one before, but finally psyched myself up for this. Will be so nice to be able to walk normally again!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Dawn:
I hope to get my turn at The Sentry soon, it is inching my way on the library hold list - I love learning more about Joe Pike! We both just read Maybe This Time in January - I enjoyed it!
Dawn wrote: "A little late, but that seems to be the story of my life these days!
The Sentry by Robert Crais 10 - always a good book when we get to know Joe Pike a little better.
Maybe This Time by Jenni..."

message 8: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Melodie wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Melodie, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it...hope if you get a chance to read the second one, you enjoy it more. Are you having surgery on your hip? Have you ever had it before? Good luc..."

Melodie, good luck on your surgery. Remember to keep up with the rehab later. My 70 something Aunt walks several miles per day after getting hers. Good luck, positive thoughts sent your way.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3593 comments Brakedrum wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Melodie, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it...hope if you get a chance to read the second one, you enjoy it more. Are you having surgery on your hip? Have you ever had it b..."

ditto what lorraine said and if they send you to rehab don't come home before they tell you it's ok.
my next door neighbor checked herself out of rehab two days after arriving and a week later fell in her apartment and broke her leg. ended up in rehab for almost 8 weeks. it's a good thing we were home and heard her scream for help.
so do what your doctor says because if anything happened to you, i wouldn't hear you scream

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Melodie...excellent news. Get that new hip and then you can come join us a Bouchercon. Be very good and do what they tell you! Will be thinking of you...what is the date? This week maybe?