Terminalcoffee discussion

Lists! > Top five bands of the 2000s. (2000's?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
1. White Stripes (RIP)
2. Deathcab/Postal Service
3. My Morning Jacket
4. Black Keys
5. Guster

(I think some started in the 90s, like Guster, but I grew to love them in this decade.)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Why must it only be five???? Sally, you torture me.
OK, I'll do five but then it is only my top five in the same general genre as your top five (alterna-ish bands fronted by guys and in national distribution).

1. Spoon
2. Arcade Fire
3. The Decemberists
4. The White Stripes
5. Radiohead

Honorable mentions still in that vein: Starsailor, My Morning Jacket, the Twilight Singers, the Old Ceremony.

message 3: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments So they could have existed prior to 2000?

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments 1. High Llamas
2. Sun Kil Moon
3. Phoenix
4. Delays
5. Rogue Wave

Hon. mention: Spoon, Stars, Grinderman, Field Music, I am Kloot, Modest Mouse, Vampire Weekend, Shins, Bird and the Bee, Magnetic Fields

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oooo, Spoon. Modest Mouse. Man alive.

message 6: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 07, 2011 03:14PM) (new)

Brittomart 1) Rilo Kiley
2) Florence + the Machine
3) La Roux
4) Yeah Yeah Yeahs
5) Muse

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 07, 2011 03:24PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I really wanted to hate Florence + the Machine and Muse. I really, really wanted to hate them. I wanted to loathe them. I didn't want to sell out.

The music sucked me in slowly and I'm a fan now.

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Wait, why would liking them be selling out?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Because according to my teenage son, no people of worth like Muse.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love Muse.

message 11: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I saw them perform live, and if that's selling out, then I want to cash in everything, honey.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I love Muse now. I just had to get over myself first.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Or the opinion of your son.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Nah. It was also all the hardcore people that didn't like Muse because they're associated with the Twilight soundtracks.

message 15: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I like a couple of Muse songs. I bought one of their CDs though and it sucked.

message 16: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Which one?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I agree that if you get into their "albums" you're wading through a lot of stuff that isn't as good as what they've released to the public.

Uprising and I belong to you are probably my two favorites.

Wow, didn't mean to cause a discussion here. Was just saying that they were a band I didn't expect to like (due to everything negative I'd heard about them) and ended up liking.

I don't give a flying fig about what others "think" of me. Selling out to me is when you convince yourself that you just don't plan on "going there" with a band/movie/whatever and realize that you did anyway. It's not about selling out to someone else or their opinions. I just didn't think I'd like them, nor did I care to want to try because I hadn't heard anything positive about them to begin with.

message 18: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 07, 2011 03:52PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Anyway, I'm out. I have a cranky, feverish toddler who needs a stinky changed.

I don't really have any bands to add to the list unfortunately. Sorry. :(

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Allrighty then.

message 20: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Southern Fried Britt wrote: "Which one?"

I don't remember. It had a song with "Soldier" in the title.

message 21: by Helena (last edited Feb 07, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Southern Fried Britt wrote: "I saw them perform live, and if that's selling out, then I want to cash in everything, honey."

A friend of mine asked me to take her teenage daughter to a Muse show. She can't stand them, and she knows that I like going to concerts (I'll pretty much go to anything). It was honestly one of the best live shows I've been to. I'm a fan now.

1. Arcade Fire
2. Mumford & Sons
3. Kings of Leon
4. Vampire Weekend
5. Muse

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments I don't have a top five for this time period. I don't listen to much new stuff.

My wife's top five would definitely be something like...

1. Keith Urban
2. Lady Antebellum
3. Sugarland
4. ??
5. ??

But you guys are too cool to admit ever listening to any of those, right? Although I think Larry might sometimes listen to "??" at #4.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
I don't have a top 5 list but I'm pretty sure the songs I've listened most to on public transportation to block out noise are by Arcade Fire, and That's Not My Name by the Ting Tings.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm much too old for this thread. However, I will add that I think Arcade Fire are overrated.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Two additional things:

1. I heard the singer of Muse knocked up...what's her name...Kate Hudson.

2. I'm struggling with how to define "top band of the 2000s". Does that mean they can't have released anything before then?

message 26: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments 1. it's true

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments None. The internet generation couldn't write a memorable song/melody/riff if you put a gun to its collective head, their souls hijacked by dreams of being whisked away on a magic carpet ride of fame without dues, photo ops, and life in the comatose lane, doomed to showing up in the not-too-distant future at their elderly parents’ house in Winter Park, Florida begging for money to enter a 12-step program for prescription-drug addiction.

They're flogging a dead horse and I'd rather gnaw my fingers off than type any of their names.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Clark's on a roll today. I'm getting my popcorn.

message 29: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments And furthermore, do any of these idiots know what a hook is? Or how to name a band?

Rilo Kiley? The Hold Steady?

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You'd like The Hold Steady, Clark, I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7P6f1...

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments rage against the machine
audioslave (i know...diff singer though)
white stripes
plain white tees (i love this sound)
hillsong united

message 32: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Prima Donna
Bazooka Jones
The Paybacks
Len Price 3
Sonic Love Affair

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

They could have come out before. Sheesh. Top five albums that defined the decade for you, crankety curmudgeons.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Albums or bands? Make up your mind!

ducks

message 35: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I love how Clark sounds like his parents, bitching about that loud rock n' roll jungle music, and why can't he like Perry Como or Johnny Mathis...

I can't name 5, so I'm going with 10

1. The White Stripes
2. LCD Soundsystem (who announced their breakup yesterday)
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. My Morning Jacket
5. The Black Keys
6. The Arcade Fire
7. Caribou
8. Goldfrapp
9. The Kills
10. Das Racist

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Gus wrote: "I love how Clark sounds like his parents, bitching about that loud rock n' roll jungle music, and why can't he like Perry Como or Johnny Mathis...

I can't name 5, so I'm going with 10

1. The Whit..."

:)

message 37: by Heidi (last edited Feb 08, 2011 08:03AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Myles wrote: "Clark wrote: "None. The internet generation couldn't write a memorable song/melody/riff if you put a gun to its collective head, their souls hijacked by dreams of being whisked away on a magic car..."

HAHAHA! I like your picture, Myles.

message 38: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I think that's Clark's new avatar.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Myles wrote: "3. The Hold Steady"

The only band I heard of on this thread because the lead guy is from here and he wrote a pretty good song about the Minnesota Twins.

Don't Call Them Twinkies

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments 1. Sick Puppies
2. Maroon 5
3. Plain White Tees
4. Muse
5. That's all I got

message 41: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart The killers are....meh

message 42: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Gus wrote: "I love how Clark sounds like his parents"

I know, I know. I need help staying out of threads like this. I'm going to try to go cold turkey.

message 43: by Heidi (last edited Feb 08, 2011 10:53AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I don't know enough of the modern music to have a bonafide opinion here, really. I've only heard snippets here and there of stuff and sometimes I really enjoy it.

Most of my favorite music and musicians fall outside of this milleneum - Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Henry Mancini, Segovia, Camille St. Sains, bossa nova, zydeco, blues, folk, Motown classics, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, The Cure, Prince, Van Morrison, Yo La Tengo.

I do enjoy other music and musicians, but I don't know that I feel an affinity for it. Now with that said, I can honestly say that I truly enjoy the new music to which you guys have introduced me through shebangs and through mixes I've gotten from other people. Seriously. So based on that, I'd say my faves would have to be:

The National
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Magnetic Fields
Ryan Adams
The White Stripes

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael Heidi wrote: "Most of my favorite music and musicians fall outside of this milleneum - Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Henry Mancini, Segovia, Camille St. Sains, bossa nova, zydeco, blues, folk, Motown classics, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, The Cure, Prince, Van Morrison, Yo La Tengo."

I'm not a huge fan of Van Morrison but that's a good list there. I think Tony Bennett is one of the few singers whose voice got better as he got older.

message 45: by Heidi (last edited Feb 08, 2011 11:36AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Michael wrote: "I think Tony Bennett is one of the few singers whose voice got better as he got older."

That's exactly why I'd take him over Frank any day of the week. Frank's voice did NOT get better as he got older. Frank does not impress me or make me swoon like Tony Bennett does.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I used to really like the Killers.

Like, a lot. So much that I ended up marrying someone who had them playing in his car when he picked me up for our first date.

Now I almost can't stand them. It is, pure and simple, the sound of that guy's voice.

Another band like that: Spoon.

Another: The Doors

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

OD'd on.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Ha! Sally OD'd on The Killers.

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Barb wrote: "Ha! Sally over-killed The Killers."

I did that with Sarah McLachlan, and that makes me sad. :(

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ha HA! But I haven't OD'd on the other two. Not yet.

« previous 1