Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > What counts as an "Award"?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 50 comments I've just been through the two older discussion topics about "awards" but both have left me sort of confused. As I couldn't decide in which (if any) of the two topics I should post the question, I decided to make a new one, because both topics seemed a bit old to me.

To come to my actual question: Has a since a consensus being reached if "lists" (at the moment I'm particularly thinking about YALSA) count as an award?
And while I'm at it, what about WAYRBA? From the looks of it it's quite official, so I would at least include the WAYRBA.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43620 comments Mod
Neither of those is really a "list" in the same way as, say, The NY Times lists.

YALSA has multiple awards, and I think all are already represented in the awards list.

message 3: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 50 comments So they are accepted to be significant enough for the awards field?

I've noticed the entries already existed in the awards lists, but wanted to check all the same, due to my confusion mentioned above ;) .

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Isabell wrote: "So they are accepted to be significant enough for the awards field?"

I think so. I'm definitely not one of the librarians who spends lots of time cleaning up that area, though.

message 5: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Why would these awards be Not Acceptable? They seem quite interesting.

I am not aware of any "standards" for acceptable awards-- are there any? (I have added some in the past when applicable and would like to know. And who is the decider?)

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments For the YALSA Alex Awards, I would consider them awards even though there are ten yearly winners; the Morris Award certainly qualifies; the Prinz should probably have a "Prinz" and a "Prinz Honor" as separate awards, like the Newbury; for the Excellence in Nonfiction, I would think that there should be an "Excellence in Nonfiction" and an "Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist", but that could go either way ("Finalist" is less fancy than "Honor", yeah?); it looks to me like the Edwards and the Odyssey Awards are for authors and producers, not books, so they shouldn't be listed.

For the WAYBRA, I'm inclined to say that a voted award is as valid as a juried award; I would also consider this one award, unlike the multiple YALSA awards, so "Younger Readers" and "Older Readers" would be the categories (is Picture Books new for 2011?). I can't tell if the Avis Award and the Hoffman Award go to authors or books; the text talks about voting for authors, which would mean that they shouldn't be listed as book awards, but the winners list gives books as well, so I'm confused there!

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments MissJessie wrote: "I am not aware of any "standards" for acceptable awards-- are there any? (I have added some in the past when applicable and would like to know. And who is the decider?)"

There were a bunch of policy threads when the awards feature was announced, and the decisions that we worked out came down to no hard or fast rules but more a general sense that the award should:
* be periodic but not too frequent (so, not a one-time award and not a weekly award)
* be presented by a recognized source, which generally means some sort of literary organization (so, not the "I put up a website with 5 hits a month" award, but most library associations would qualify, as would a number of heavily-trafficked book review blogs)
* be subjectively selected by that source (so, not the NY Times Bestseller list, because those books are not selected by the NY Times)
* have a clear winner and non-winner (so, not a ranked list); in cases where there is a three-level award of nominees, finalists, and winners, the finalists and the winner are two separate awards because the finalists have won the award of being finalists

We never did write this up for the manual, though, did we?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

No, but that looks like a good start.

(Assuming I ever again find time to update the manual. Which could happen.)

message 9: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Thanks Cait. Very helpful.

message 10: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 50 comments Thanks. That helped clear up things a lot. Adding some general guideline to the manual would probably also be helpful for others.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (silentrequiem) | 27 comments Would the Puddly Awards held by Powell's every year count? I just started adding the winners in and wanted to make sure that it was a valid award before continuing.

Also, when going through, I noticed that a book can only win a specific award once, even though the award rules may allow the same book to win for multiple years. Is there a way to change this?

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Debbie wrote: "Would the Puddly Awards held by Powell's every year count?"

I don't see why not! It looks fine to me.

Also, when going through, I noticed that a book can only win a specific award once, even though the award rules may allow the same book to win for multiple years. Is there a way to change this?

I don't think so -- you should ask in the feedback group.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments As I stated in the other thread, I actually don't think the Puddly Award would qualify. It's given out by a bookseller who has its users vote on their favorite book each year. Not their favorite book of the year, their favorite book. I just don't see this as quite meeting the standards. They also produce a ranked list, declaring the top two vote getters the winners, but listing the top 50, so it's not exactly like there are nominees and then voting on the best few. Are you going to list 48 finalists who didn't win every year in addition to the two winners?

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I think I'm leaning toward agreeing with NT Michael. The very fact that books are not limited to a specific year's books in of concern.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (silentrequiem) | 27 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "It's given out by a bookseller who has its users vote on their favorite book each year. Not their favorite book of the year, their favorite book."

If the Puddlies are determined to not count, that's fine. However, I will quibble with you over your above statement as it is not entirely accurate. People are directed to vote on the best book they read the past year. Not their favorite book, ever. A slight but substantive difference.

message 16: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Most awards do specify a publication date range, it's true; is that an essential component of a book award? I wouldn't have thought so, but I admit I can't offhand think of awards which aren't limited this way.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I cannot think of any other annual awards without that limitation either.

message 18: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) | 15 comments But I could vote for "Little Women" if I read it in the last year and for some reason it is my favorite? I suppose it's more difficult for an older book to win, since probably more people are reading the new books - but the idea that an old book COULD win makes me agree with those who believe Puddlies shouldn't count.

message 19: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Bumping with the old policy threads on awards, if someone wants to pull them together.

Original "hey, new feature" discussion:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

Initial draft for the manual:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (aradanryl) | 6 comments Since casual librarians can (and do) find the award feature as they are helping with cleanup of various books, I'd recommend the important questions be asked on the award creation screen.

Although it isn't an exhaustive list, here are my suggestions:
*the website where the list is found,
*the organization/individual giving the award,
*the year the program was created,
*yes/no for juried vs reader-voted (Bluebonnet comes to mind),
*how many award winners per year

Something easy (if nothing more than a link to the list) of those awards already identified as not meeting the criteria would also help.

Also, a link to the portion of the librarian's manual or a decisions page would sure help.

message 21: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) | 15 comments I agree that, at the very least, a list of awards that have already been rejected appear somewhere. Even if it's just a post here and near the box to enter the award have a note that says "Before you add an award, please be sure it is not on this list" with a link to the post.

Asking questions about the award is fine, as long as if the award has been entered in the past I don't have to answer them again. If I'm updating the list of all books with award X, I don't want to have to answer the same questions for each book, since the answers are the same.