MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

General Chat > Buying from Penguin Pub :-(

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments One of favorite authors is Mercedes Lackey. Her books started me reading fantasy so I have always had a rather large soft spot for her (to the point I can read her drivel and be happy).

I've bought tons of ML books (even when she pub'd with Tor and they had binding issues) before switching to ebooks.

Now that I’m reading ebooks, she’s got me stuck again! I bought her latest book in the Valdemar series ($13+) and it wasn’t that great (I was prepared for that).

I'm currently reading her backlist again and I’m stuck. I’ve purchased most of these books in paper format but I want to read them on my reader. I don’t have a personal issue with format switching/conversions so I started by downloading a few off of the dark net. Horrible, horrible formatting, non-working TOC, and missing illustrations. I’m kinda anal so I decided to say F*ck it! and just by the Penguin pub’d versions (@$6.99 or more each).

I started with only 1 because I’d heard that Penguin press has some formatting issues. *sigh* The copy is OK. The illustrations are present (not great condition but present) and there are chapter breaks.

The issues: Nobody proof read the damn thing! I was SO ticked to see tons of formatting and spelling errors. Really ticked. Even character nicknames are misspelled!

Should I expect this from all of Penguin’s products? This will let me know if I’m spending any more money there.

Can someone teach me how to edit text in Calibre or something? I removed DRM so I should be able to correct the publisher’s mistakes, shouldn’t I?

I’ve also given some thought into dropping ML a line to two to let her know how horribly upset I am, but figured that wouldn’t do me a bit of good.

What would you (all) do?

message 2: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments That really stinks. I just read a book (from a different publisher) that had horrible formatting. I couldn't even use my Nook Color's settings in night mode or mocha as it had black text. The whole thing formatting wise was terrible, but the book was good.

I didn't bother changing the font because it only took me 4 hours to read and I was in bed. I don't actually know css, so I can't actually help with editing it, but I have seen info on that at MR.

I mostly try to ignore the issues, but if the books were some of my favourites and I knew I would read them over and over, I would probably figure out how to edit or change things in Calibre.

I would email the author though. She might not do anything about it (or even be able to), but if I were an author I would definitely want to know. I would also put it in my review of the book (I have had to do that twice in the past few weeks) so others thinking of buying the ebooks can be warned. I hope you figure something out for yourself.

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I think I will try and drop ML a line and see what happens. I thought about contacting Penguin but I know that's a wash.