Fans of Maps discussion

Share travel/ cartography books > Travels in West Africa, Mary Kingsley

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everyman (last edited Feb 07, 2011 10:21AM) (new)

Everyman A delightful book by an English spinster who, her parents dying in quick succession in 1892, was left free to decide what direction her life might take. She settled on an exploration of West Africa. She made no great insights or discoveries, but she was an enthusiastic naturalist and had a keen eye for the habits and methods of living of the native populations.

The tale of a Victorian lady traveling often alone through the swamps and jungles and still uncivilized (in Western terms) native tribes of West Africa in her Victorian ladies attire and coping with all sorts of dangers (including a wonderful episode of being stranded by the outgoing tide in a small canoe in a mangrove pool with an "at home" crocodile) makes for wonderful reading.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 644 comments Mod
Travels in West Africa-Mary H. Kingsley does sound like an interesting book - I'll be looking for a copy!

message 3: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 3 comments I read this book in Ghana and Togo and loved it.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

And it's still available, at least in my library (which tends to let older books go all too readily).

message 5: by Andrew (last edited Feb 26, 2011 02:58AM) (new)

Andrew The eBook is available for download from Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5891 .

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Tx Andrew!