YA Book Club Not Just For Teens! discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 226 comments Mod
Who has read the first book Uglies?

what did you think?

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) i read it. i didn't have an interest in this series, but i read it anyways. i thought it was okay. I am reading Pretties, but I think I prefer Peeps over Uglies. It just didn't get me excited like other books do.

message 3: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 226 comments Mod
I have not read peeps yet. it is on TBR list for this month. I have read Uglies, I liked it ok, but I was over excited about it either. I will start on pretties later this month.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 2 comments It definitely wasn't my favorite book that I've read recently, but I did like it. I read Pretties and Specials too, and I have to say that Uglies was the best of the three.

message 5: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Erica wrote: "It definitely wasn't my favorite book that I've read recently, but I did like it. I read Pretties and Specials too, and I have to say that Uglies was the best of the three."

I've read Uglies and am reading Pretties now, and I am actually enjoying Pretties more.

Tally really made me angry at the beginning of Uglies...

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 2 comments I think my biggest problem with Pretties was the language of the new pretties (bubbly, pretty-making, etc.), which distracted and annoyed me far too much, although I did like the story itself.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) i'm not far into Pretties, but it's already not my favorite. SW has that way of drawing you in to his stories though with his writing. but despite how good a writer he is, I still can't seem to like the story as much as some other people do.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 23 comments Mod
I like Uglies. I like the relationship between Tally and Shay. And I like the government and I knew something else had to be going on other than just them changing people looks. That can not solve all the worlds problems. I like to see where this series is going. I will read Pretties probably next.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I read this book along with the rest of the series. I actually really liked this book because I find that young teens can relate to it in some ways. Although the book could have been a lot better. Overall, I think it was okay.

message 10: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Neal (kcneal) | 16 comments Just got Uglies! Can't wait to start....

WTF Are You Reading? | 3 comments I liked Uglies a great deal. I also liked Pretties as well but for different reasons. In Uglies, Tally was not comforable with who she was and the choices that she made reflected that. In Pretties, Talley seems better able to deal with herself and "her" sense of morality. I have Specials in my MP3 and I will get to that after Magic Study.

message 12: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Neal (kcneal) | 16 comments I just started Uglies last night. I'm only a few pages in, but I can already tell I'm going to like it. I think I'm attracted to stories with a dystopian, sci-fi bent. The dystopia element can make for some really desperate situations that call for characters to reach way beyond themselves.

message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kate (K.C.) wrote: "The dystopia element can make for some really desperate situations that call for characters to reach way beyond themselves. ..."

Very well put!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Travaille (shelbyone) | 6 comments I read the entire series but wasn't overly into it. I liked the first book but then I think it just fizzled and I felt very little sympathy with the lead character.