Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers and Readers discussion

Books > Favorite Fantasy Book

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Do you have one you really like?

I have a lot but my current favorite is Questors

message 2: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) inkheart, everlost poison and lots of others!!!!

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (last edited Aug 11, 2008 03:11PM) (new)

Brigid ✩ yay! i luv Everlost too! and neal shusterman's other books, like Unwind (EVERYONE MUST READ IT!!!) and Downsiders. I also luv Midnighters, as well as Scott Westerfeld's other series like Uglies and Peeps... Let's see... other fantasies... Twilight (i know, i know... how unoriginal of me, but still...), the Gemma Doyle trilogy, Percy Jackson, the Mortal Instruments, Wicked Lovely, a lot of Roald Dahl(the BFG, Matilda, etc.), Gail Carson Levine's books (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Ella Enchanted), Coraline, Watership Down, The Silver Crown, The Golden Compass, Once Upon a Marigold... okay that's all i can think of right now. XD

and i also like my own books of course... the ones that i've written or that i'm currently writing. ;D

message 4: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) MIDNIGHTERS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love the bfg the golden compass is awesome too!!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I want to get the Midnighers! BADLY!
But I have so many other books I'm reading!

message 6: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) you must read them!!!!

theres a midnighters group on goodreads too sooo heres the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I KNOW! I almost started reading them but I GOT THE SECOND BOOK >_<

message 8: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) awwww ya u have to read them in order

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I knowz. I put it back so I didn't read them out of order.

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ oh yeah i luv watership down! XD it's a little weird, but still really good... i have to reread it though, since i haven't read it since fifth grade. lol. ;D i luv midnighters too!!

message 11: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah! i mean, when i first picked it up, i'm like "oh... i've heard of this. it's about rabbits. weird. but i'll read it anyway!" and then i did and wow! it was soooo good! XD of course when i try to describe it to ppl i always make it sound really weird... which i guess it kinda is but it's awesome! ;D

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ exactly! XD

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i just added a ton of books to the bookshelf... i hope nobody minds. XD

message 14: by Tiamat100 (new)

Tiamat100 | 4 comments My favourite fantasy book is called "The Prophecy of the gems" by Flavia Bujor. She started writing it when she was 12 and it was published when she was 14. The quality of the book is far higher then most would expect of a book written by someone of her age and the plot is amazing.

message 15: by Tiamat100 (new)

Tiamat100 | 4 comments I also love Ella Enchanted, The Two Princesses Of Bamarre and Fairest by Gail Carson Levine. The Tortall Sequence and the Winding Circle mages Sequence by Tamora Pierce, The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, The Snow Spider trilogy by Jenny Nimmo, the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis, the Charmed series(based on the television show created by Constance M. Burge) and the Molly Moon series, although I'm not sure if they're sci Fi or fantasy.

message 16: by Tiamat100 (new)

Tiamat100 | 4 comments I love Watership Down. I first got a little picture book from the videos or something, so I flicked through that and went to read the real book. It was amazing! I'm not sure its a fantasy book though.

message 17: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Oh, I read that Prophecy of the Gems book. It was one of those books where, yeah, it was good for a fourteen-year-old, but if you didn't take her age into account then it wasn't that good, really. But a lot of people like it.

I also love Gail Carson Levine! :) good stuff. XD Stephenie Meyer is good, too. Watership Down -- amazing!!! XD and yeah, it is a fantasy. since it has talking bunnies in it. tee hee. XD

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ oh yeah ... i didn't really like Fairest so much. Ever was okay. Gail Carson Levine's earlier works are better: like Ella Enchanted, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Dave at Night, etc.

message 19: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Never heard of it?! It's really really good. It's also a lot different from anything Levine has written, but I loved it. :) Actually, it's not a fantasy; it's realistic/historical fiction I guess. It's about this orphan boy living at this boarding school ... or maybe it's an orphanage. don't really remember. but i'll try to find a link to it. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42...

here it is! :D

message 20: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Roebuck | 2 comments Yes, I love the Eragon books and have put them above all as my favorite series of books, because they are the essence of what I like in a fantasy book.

message 21: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Roebuck | 2 comments Im trying to spread the word about the Night Angel Trilogy, I randomly picked the first book up at Waldenbooks and it turned out to be one of the best books ive ever read.

message 22: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 8 comments Some of my favorites:

The Curse of Chalion
The Thread That Binds the Bones
A Civil Campaign

I have many others that I like but these are the three that come to mind most quickly.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Mine is still the study series by Maria V. Snyder. Poison Study was one of those books that has stuck in my mind ever since I started reading it

message 24: by Creature (new)

Creature | 22 comments I really liked "The Redemption of Althalus" by David and Leigh Eddings.
Have a Great day!!!
John (aka, the "Creature")

message 25: by Some Kid (new)

Some Kid (TheUniverseBuilder) | 3 comments the hobbit :)

message 26: by Creature (new)

Creature | 22 comments Hello:
"The Hobbit" was one of the first book-length fantasy stories I ever read. It remains one of my favorites to this day.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 27: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 16 comments Favorite fantasy book would probably be Dragon Avenger, the second book in E.E. Knight's Age of Fire series.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) This group needs to be resurrected. Thanks :D

And that sounds like an awesome book.

message 29: by Creature (new)

Creature | 22 comments I think it would be great to see more activity within this group. You can count me in.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 30: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 16 comments Ephona: The whole series is awesome. Its written entirely from the point-of-view of dragons. Specifically, three clutchmates.

message 31: by Creature (new)

Never heard of Ephona and I love dragons (I even made and indy film that has a dragon in a few seconds near the end) so I need to know more. Who wrote it, how many books, and when did it come out??? Is it still ongoing? (Boy, talk about question overload)
Have a Great Day!!!
The Creature"

message 32: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 16 comments I was addressing Xerxes Break/Belorussia (Ephona). I didn't feel like typing all of that out, so just put Ephona.

I was assuming Ephona was replying to my post above hers(?) when she said, "And that sounds like an awesome book."

I apologize for the confusion.

message 33: by Some Kid (new)

Some Kid (TheUniverseBuilder) | 3 comments The Hobbit was one of the first fantasy novels i read to. :)

message 34: by Creature (new)

Once I got started into it I read it in like three days. After that I started reading Robert E. Howard's "Conan" series. It was a few years later before I began to tackle "Lord of the Rings."
Have a Great Day!!!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Dah confusion XD You can just call me Ephona. I put random names but everyone knows me as Ephona. It works ^^
I'll have to put them on my ever growing reading list XD

Oh but there might be books with Ephona someday XD teeheeheehee.

message 36: by Creature (new)

Creature | 22 comments Someday!!! How 'bout today??? :)))
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 37: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 6 comments Hobbit was one of my earlier finds too - and I found it lurking in a desk at my house when I was about 7, with the gold bits on the cover glinting in the dark... Turned out they'd bought it to give me for my birthday and then forgot, so it was like discovering treasure!

Read it and then went onto LOTR - was a bit young to really get all the implications but did cause my Mum to go into hysterics when I was found weeping over the book and explained that it was a sad bit as Gandalf had fallen into the abscess...
So nearly right!
JAC

message 38: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin Lake | 6 comments I love LOTR and the story of how Tolkien wrote the trilogy is fascinating. I am interested in him and C.S. Lewis becasue they were contemporary university dons who forged the way for the fantasy genre. I am re-reading The Narnia Chronicles currently and have a renewed respect for the simplicity and the excellent attention in the writing as well as the imagination that inadvertently plunges into possibliites in science fiction like parallel universities and space-time continuum etc, but just calling it magic. The Magician's Nephew was one of my favourites for this.