You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Dumb question about genres/shelving...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments If you are looking at a book on Goodreads (or B&N, or wherever), how can you see/tell what genre it is in, or where it would be shelved if you went to the bookstore?

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lisa, at GR you can look on the righthand side of the book's page where you see the column entitled "popular shelves". Below that you will see how other people on GR have shelved the book. This will give you an idea of what kind of book it is. You can also see how your own particular friends have shelved it. Or, which is the most trustworthy, read the book description and decide for yourself. The book description will tell you if it is non-fiction, or a memoir or historical fiction, manga, etc.

B&N does not give genre classification. Amazon does, but I too prefer B&N. Again, the best is to read the book descriptions and make your own judgement.

Each bookstore will decide how they group their books. You must simply ask them. Ususally non-fiction are separated into different types. Fiction is in another part of the store. Biographies and memoirs usually have their own place too.

I hope this helps.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Actually, that helps tons. Thanks Chrissie! I like to take a list of books into my favorite used book store and poke around. I know how all their categories are laid out in a store, but I don't always know in which category to look for a book. This is great!

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie No questions are dumb at GR. What is nice is that we all love books and like helping eachother find the ones we are looking for!

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 95 comments You can also click on the "World Cat" button when looking at the description of the book. ;)

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Valerie, where is that? I never heard of World Cat? Where is the button? Is it a store?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Found the World Cat button. It is a link under the description of the book in GR. It takes you to a site that shows its classification, and then shows where to buy it or find it in a library. Cool! Thanks Valerie!

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Valerie and Lisa, I found it to!

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 95 comments Chrissie wrote: "Valerie, where is that? I never heard of World Cat? Where is the button? Is it a store?"

Lisa wrote: "Found the World Cat button. It is a link under the description of the book in GR. It takes you to a site that shows its classification, and then shows where to buy it or find it in a library. Cool!..."

No problem guys!! ;) I work in a library, with the main part of my job being cataloging of the new materials, and I refer to World Cat when there are no descriptors/tracings.... So glad to share that - Didn't know if anyone else had noticed that option here

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Valerie, I had to add it to "my book links" in my GR account. Even though there are no Belgium libraries, I like it b/c it also helps you find other languages a book is available in. If one of my GR friends adds a book in a language I do not understand, using the World Cat button lets me find the book translated into a different language. Hopefully I will understand one of the languages! And the genre info is cool. Thanks TONS.

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 95 comments Chrissie, you are MORE than welcome!! :) World Cat is great!