Nobel Prize Winners discussion

Discussion Archive > The Green House - Mario Vargas Llosa

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 06, 2011 11:53PM) (new)

Mario Vargas Llosa's classic early novel takes place in a Peruvian town, situated between the desert and the jungle, which is torn by boredum and lust. Don Anselmo, a stranger in a dark coat, builds a brothel on the outskirts of town while he charms its innocent people, setting in motion a chain reaction with extraordinary consequences...

Please post your general comments on the book in this thread, including any background information that might be relevant.

Specific comments on particular sections of the book should be posted in the appropriate thread.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 07, 2011 12:28AM) (new)

Provisional Reading Schedule:

Book 1 - 13th February until 19th February
Book 2 - 20th February until 26th February
Book 3 - 27th February until 5th March
Book 4 - 6th March until 12th March
Epilogue - 13th March until 19th March

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Bruce, I sympathise with your preferring to read the novel without the constraints of a reading schedule, however, the schedule was there to encourage periodic reflection during the course of reading the book. For me keeping track of the various groups of characters has been the most difficult challenge with this book and I'm about to return to it in the middle of Book 3 after having my own reading disrupted by a week of helping my wife look after three of our grandchildren over the half term holiday.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Finally finished reading The Green House. I can't say I really enjoyed it, I found it difficult to follow, rambling and irrelevant in parts. It was difficult to establish the sequence of events and the relevance of parts of the book to the narrative. I kept asking myself why is it necessary to tell the story in this convoluted way? What's wrong with straightforward chronological story telling? And why keep changing the characters names? There must be a reason, but I didn't understand it. I'm a simple man and like stories where there is a clear sense of time and place, but perhaps I'm getting old and less tolerant of rambling streams of consciousness. The Epilogue was good, shorter sections and several, but not all, loose ends were tied, but overall I thought this was a good story, badly told. Does that make me a Philistine?

message 5: by Cl. (new)

Cl. | 43 comments I still haven't been able to obtain a copy of The Green House.

Perhaps some of Llosa's books have a different style?

In any case, I doubt you are a Philistine, David. I think we all have different tastes, preferences, and our minds work in different ways (thank god). That's what keeps life interesting. And discussion groups discussing.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ridgeway | 13 comments I have finally finished "The Green House". Whew! Not my favorite book. David, I completely agree with your thoughts about the book. On to the next read!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Carrie wrote: "I have finally finished "The Green House". Whew! Not my favorite book. David, I completely agree with your thoughts about the book. On to the next read!"

Yes, 'onwards and upwards!' Per ardua ad astra for those who like Latin.