Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is it you love about Goodreads?

I found goodreads about 12 months ago. I had been doing some research on a book and I stumbled across a review that popped up on my search. It was hilarious so I joined up. It was my first venture into internet chat and oh boy what an adventure it has been. Prior to joining I could never decide what book to read. I also never had anyone I could discuss books with; made some wonderful friends; joined some amazing groups. Occasionally I see and hear things I don't like but they are easily avoided.

What was it that brought you here? What is it you like about GR? Is there anything that bugs you at all?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments I stumbled onto GR because I read Felicia Day's blog...Once I found out about this place I was 'hooked'. I really like the idea of being able to keep track of the books I've read, what I want to read,etc..Instead of trying to remember or writing them down on a piece of paper and losing it..Now I've got a place for it all.

Plus the communities are great addition (to make friends n ppl who are into the same books) to the site, certainly found more books since!

Only thing that bugs me is when I can't find a book because whatever I am doing won't work.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been a member for a bit more than 3 years - I originally heard about the site on a podcast and I decided that it would suit me for the purpose of cataloging my books that I own, have read, want to read. I checked out Library Thing and Shelfari too but decided GR had more features that I wanted.

I don't spend a lot of time in the groups (time spent there is time spent not reading) but when I do have some free time I do like the feel of the groups here.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) I find I'm liking keeping track of what books I've read. But it's also fun reading reviews.

I like GR over the other main options because it's simply more user-friendly.

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68390 comments Mod
My son told me about GR back in May, 2009. He said I would enjoy it, and he was right. I started out slowly, learning about it all, then when Mandy invited me to join Aussie Readers, it was all GO from there! I love the interaction with everyone, I'm reading much more than I was, and it's great keeping track of everything with so much ease...There is just so much information to be had here, and so many people with so much knowledge to share!

message 6: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 894 comments What I like about the groups that I've joined on GR is that they're friendly and don't seem to tolerate the aggressiveness and general nastiness that I've sometimes encountered elsewhere. Of course, I'm more at home here in Aussie Readers than anywhere else but GR seems to offer more than just the chance to keep track of what I've read. For the first time I've felt comfortable enough to join a book Challenge and I'm enjoying the experience.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I joined after some bookcrossing friends told me that they love being able to see what friends are reading. That wasn't quite enough to convince me to join yet another website, but.... When I found my umpteenth duplicate book on Mt. TBR I decided to join in order to catalog my read, owned, and wishlist books.

Well, yes, I do use the site for those reasons. But I *love* the forums, and the reviews, and the ability to keep track of my books in so many differently nuanced ways. And I like swap and the giveaways, too.

What bugs me is that swap and most of the giveaways aren't available to you Aussie folk and that swap is correlated only to our wishlist shelf.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Cheryl wrote: " When I found my umpteenth duplicate book on Mt. TBR I decided to join in order to catalog my read, owned, and wishlist books.
"

so glad I'm not the only one to have bought the same book twice :) - GR is great for avoiding that (though I am now coveting a smart phone so I can install the GR app and have my list me at all times).

message 9: by Mandapanda (last edited Feb 07, 2011 10:38PM) (new)

Mandapanda I found Goodreads through the Amazon discussion boards. I was always checking their book
'communities' to find new titles and so many people mentioned GR that I googled the site. It took a while though before I started using it. But it was the personal bookshelf feature that appealed to me because I was already trying to keep an excel file of books I'd read and here is so much easier!!! I love lists and this place really panders to my list-making obsession!

message 10: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I was in a google group and one of the members mentioned Goodreads as a handy way of keeping track of your books and being exposed to many authors, titles and reviews, so I joined & then I was invited by Mandy & here I am, loving it:)

message 11: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments I absolutely love reading and no-one I know personally reads anywhere near as much as I do so it's great to be on a site where there are other prolific readers. I don't feel so alone and I think it is great to be able to do reviews and list all the books I have read and want to read.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (rizeandshine) I started reading through Newsweek's Top 100 Books list just over a year ago and needed a way to review and keep track of what I had read. I started with a couple of other applications first, but found that Goodreads was more suited to my needs. I am just now branching out into the community. I love interacting with others who enjoy reading as much as I do.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Yay! I've heard in the Feedback group a lot of people saying "GR should do this thing that Shelfari does" and "Librarything is better cuz you can do this" but I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere else! I think I did sign up for librarything a few years ago but it didn't suck me in like GR does... :)

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Let's put this one out there again...feel free to start the discussions going with your thoughts about GR!! :)

message 15: by Dale (new)

Dale Renton (dalerenton) | 77 comments My publisher ran a giveaway on Goodreads when my first novel came out. I'm not a natural blogger and barely participate in most social networking on the net (but I am a sociable person in the real world). I'd never heard of Goodreads. What I really like about it is being able to browse reviews of books that I'm thinking of reading, follow the chat on the Aussie Readers threads (it's the only group I've joined)- and just occasionally comment. And sometimes write my reactions to books in reviews. I was quite stunned this week when I acquired a fan. I've never had one of those... :P

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I love everything about GR's, I want more friends on GR than Facebook :-P

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Dale wrote: "My publisher ran a giveaway on Goodreads when my first novel came out. I'm not a natural blogger and barely participate in most social networking on the net (but I am a sociable person in the real ..."

Hahaha!!! It's the start of many Dale!!

message 18: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I love Goodreads but I have one problem - I spend too much time on here & should be reading!!!!

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Carmel wrote: "I love Goodreads but I have one problem - I spend too much time on here & should be reading!!!!"

not really a problem

message 20: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "Carmel wrote: "I love Goodreads but I have one problem - I spend too much time on here & should be reading!!!!"not really a problem"

Yeah because you read at your computer!!!!

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) maybe you just need to listen to an audiobook while playing on Goodreads (killing two birds with one stone)

message 22: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "maybe you just need to listen to an audiobook while playing on Goodreads (killing two birds with one stone)"

Hmmm I have tried that and my listening brain was in conflict with my reading brain, so no I just can't do it!!! I may be multi talented in other things but not in that as I have to concentrate too much!!

message 23: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Dale wrote: "My publisher ran a giveaway on Goodreads when my first novel came out. I'm not a natural blogger and barely participate in most social networking on the net (but I am a sociable person in the real ..."

I like Goodreads better than any of the other social networks I've joined. In fact, I ignore them now. It's just too time consuming. All the best with your writing, Dale. I'm sure you'll have many more fans. Laurel
http://aussieauthorsatwork.blogspot.com

message 24: by Dale (new)

Dale Renton (dalerenton) | 77 comments Thanks Laurel and Brenda!

message 25: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri I can't remember how many times I signed up on GR. Up until I discovered Aussie Readers, I went inactive and then forgot the login & password then had to rejoin again!

Yes, GR has many useful features, but it was really AR that made me come back each time (uhm, I'm guessing at least 3 times a day? am really hooked!).

And yes, thanks to AR I am now reading books at an incredible pace!

message 26: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri Carmel wrote: "Knowledge Lost wrote: "maybe you just need to listen to an audiobook while playing on Goodreads (killing two birds with one stone)"

Hmmm I have tried that and my listening brain was in conflict ..."

Same here. I can multitask cooking, catching up TV, chasing an essay deadline, all the while keeping a li'l bub entertained, but can't somehow split my brain when it comes to audiobooks :(

message 27: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Adhityani "Dhitri" wrote: "Same here. I can multitask cooking, catching up TV, chasing an essay deadline, all the while keeping a li'l bub entertained, but can't somehow split my brain when it comes to audiobooks :( ..."

Ha and that's just your morning I bet!!ha Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue!!

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments i'd love to listen to audio books while doing something else but i'd get so distracted by one or the other..Doesn't work for me.

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I listened to an audio book while on the treadmill...that works ok ;)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not sure if it is the particular audio book I am listening too. Swann's Way. I have found it to be a particularly successful cure for insomnia.

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "I am not sure if it is the particular audio book I am listening too. Swann's Way. I have found it to be a particularly successful cure for insomnia."

Hahahaha!! Gail, that's not supposed to happen..lol

message 32: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Audiobooks that I have listened to are mainly Melina Marchetta's and the narrators are fantastic!