BFYA Salem discussion

book discussions > Books and Music

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karma (new)

Karma | 94 comments a majority of the time, I read in silence, or I block out the sounds of TV or conversations happening around me as I read, but sometimes a book just needs a soundtrack (I listened to Nirvana's Nevermind over and over as I read Kessler's Hunger)
I was just wondering if I'm the only person in this group that does that, and if not, what do you listen to, and with what novel?

message 2: by Poesy (new)

Poesy (poesymadigan) I can read while a jet plane is taking off, but I generally prefer to read in silence. However, since I live in an apartment, silence is not always what I get. I have a fountain in my apartment that I turn on when I'm reading and need some white noise.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 41 comments I certainly agree that some books require a soundtrack, but I can't usually multi-task books with music. I would find myself singing along to Wonderwall rather than comprehending what's going on in the book.

message 4: by Poesy (new)

Poesy (poesymadigan) I have to admit that I did almost all of the reading for my master's degree to the song "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

I was living in an apartment complex that was on the same block as Camp Randall, where the University of Wisconsin Badgers play football. If I didn't escape very early on game days, I would be stuck in my apartment listening to that stupid song.

message 5: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Oberg (sgtoctopus) Generally no, I don't listen to music when reading. Really the only time that I do is when I'm reading in a public place (aka school) as I find that music cancels out lots of people talking... When I'm at home I generally read in silence unless my house is particularly noisy but then it's only classical music or soundtracks... I find it confusing to listen to words while reading different words, unless tons of words are being said around me. xD