readers who run discussion

Upcoming Races?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Feighery (jmfelli) | 5 comments Mod
Hello!

So, do any of you have upcoming races planned? I will be doing the Salmon Chase 10K here in SB in September.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue (happyfeet) | 5 comments Isn't the walk/run option a beautiful thing? I am also a penguin, but love every minute of it. My daughter and I are going to San Antonio for the RNR marathon in 2 weeks (Kim, you should go, it sound like a lot of fun). I have done a few marathons, and halfs, I started running for health and decided it was fun....who knew!
I always have a book to read. Just about anything except romance. I guess running books and fiction are my favorite.

message 3: by David (new)

David (guybrarian) | 3 comments Hey. My wife Lu and I are doing the Big Sur Half Marathon weekend after next. Training has gone well, and this'll be my first half (to run - I've walked some fulls & halfs, including the GORGEOUS Big Sur full marathon, which I highly recommend for scenery junkies). So - waddle on, good ones!

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper I'm doing a Turkey Trot 5K tomorrow morning, then another Turket Trot (that one an 8K) on Thanksgiving morning. (The one next Thursday will be my first 8K race.)

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Good for you on doing 2 Turkey Trots and on upping the mileage! Watch it, though. It's addicting! Longer runs are so much fun.

I'm doing the Turkey Trot, too. Ours is a 12K.

I'm looking at doing the R&R Full in Seattle in June. Anyone doing that one?

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper I missed Thursday's Turkey Trot due to the flu, but have a Jingle Bell Run coming up next Saturday.

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper I finished the Triple Lakes Trail Race (marathon)--my first!--on Oct 3, and will be doing the Outer Banks Marathon on Nov. 8. After that, lots of rest!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Feighery (jmfelli) | 5 comments Mod
I just finished the Grand Rapids Half Marathon on Sunday...trying to decide what to do next!

message 9: by TK (new)

TK (theicecreamista) I just ran the Baltimore Half-Marathon on October 10th, and am now training for a local 15k (here in NYC). I am also reading "Mediations from the Breakdown Lane." Have any of you ever read that?

message 10: by Runnread (new)

Runnread | 6 comments I'll be at Surf City full marathon on Super Bowl Sunday.

message 11: by Runnread (new)

Runnread | 6 comments Ragnar Relay, Southern California. 12 of us relaying from Ventura to Dana Pt. in 24 hours.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments Wow Runread. I haven't heard of that race before. Sounds exciting and tough! Let us know how it goes!

message 13: by Jasonallenross (new)

Jasonallenross | 2 comments I'm doing a local 5K in my town, where I can actually warm up by jogging to the start line, then I'm going to do the James Joyce Ramble (10K) in Dedham, MA. The race features people dressed in period costumes reading different Joyce works aloud at each mile marker.

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe | 3 comments The Ramble is a great time (it helps that it starts a quarter mile from my front door). I thought I had a rough go last year with the insane out-of-season heat, but whenever I saw those poor people in heavy costume I got a 2nd wind. I even found myself running beside a group that recited some Joyce passages as they jogged.

message 15: by Joe (new)

Joe | 3 comments Yes. Some Marathoners are there. And boy do they make me feel even slower. By their standards, on my best day, I think I'm a "reader who jogs".

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments I'm running the Duke DPT 5k in October. Fun run!!! :)

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue (happyfeet) | 5 comments Annie wrote: "I'm running the Duke DPT 5k in October. Fun run!!! :)"

I'm doing a 5k at the Morton Arboretum on Oct 3rd. I am hoping to see some fall colors, but I think it's a little early in the year. Good luck with your run.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (halojen) | 2 comments Good luck everyone!! I'm doing the Columbus and NYC marathons this fall. I should have my head examined!!

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue (happyfeet) | 5 comments Jennifer, I tell my husband it's a sickness! I'm doing Des Moines in Oct and Honolulu in Dec. I'm usually ready for some down time by January :) I would love to know how NYC is. It's on my wish list.

message 20: by Runnread (new)

Runnread | 6 comments Let me know how NYC is, too. I just qualified to run it so I can bypass the lottery. Love to hear the logistics.

message 21: by Nita (new)

Nita (nitasweeney) | 6 comments I just did my first 5K (Steps for Sarcoma in Columbus, Ohio) and am starting to build up to 5 miles to run the Turkey Trot.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue (happyfeet) | 5 comments Great job Nita! Keep up the good work

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1 comments Runnread wrote: "Let me know how NYC is, too. I just qualified to run it so I can bypass the lottery. Love to hear the logistics."

I've run the NYC marathon twice and its an incredible experience...someone described it as a 26 mile standing ovation. Bring warm clothes for before the race (you sit around for 3 hours before you actually start), write your name on the front of your shirt (you'll feel like a rock star), and just enjoy the experience.

Because of the crowds and the hills, NYC probably won't be your fastest marathon, but it will be memorable. Have fun!

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Mcfarlin (tara671) I am doing the Denver Rock n roll 1/2 marathon on 10/17. It will be my 1st 1/2 marathon.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue (happyfeet) | 5 comments Good luck Tara. This is the season. The RNR franchise runs some great events!

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments I'm doing my first marathon in San Francisco in a couple weeks. In the tapering stage. It feels weird not to run all the time now. :)

message 27: by Runnread (new)

Runnread | 6 comments Eric wrote: "Runnread wrote: "Let me know how NYC is, too. I just qualified to run it so I can bypass the lottery. Love to hear the logistics."

I've run the NYC marathon twice and its an incredible experienc..."

I decided that if I head to NYC to run the marathon (I'm in San Fran), I will run the slowest marathon ever...on purpose...just to let it all soak in

message 28: by Janie (new)

Janie | 1 comments I'm training for a 12k in December. It'll be the longest distance I've ever raced.

I'll feel pretty triumphant if I manage to make it to the starting line. I was planning to race this 12k two years ago and pneumonia got in the way. I planned again to run it last year and cancer got in the way. This year will be different!

message 29: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments Not only will you make it to the starting line, but you'll make it across the finish, in good style!:) Run Janie Run! :)

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments Emily wrote: "I'm training for the Lavaman 2011 triathlon with Team in Training. I did my first (very short) tri in September in Woodinville, WA, and I've done a half marathon and a few 5ks before. It's gone to..."

Way to go Emily! I just did my first marathon with TNT in October. I've done a century and a marathon now. Guess doing a tri is next. Aaahhh, maybe I'll just do another marathon. :)

message 31: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments Hello Runners! I just finished Kathrine Switzer's book Marathon Woman. Sooooo good! Couldn't put it down!

I highly recommend it.

message 32: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper I enjoyed that book a lot too! Great read! She has had an interesting life, hasn't she?

message 33: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper The next big race I've got on the calendar is the Tobacco Road Half Marathon in Cary, NC, on March 20.

message 34: by Ram (new)

Ram | 24 comments i am doing my first full marathon on 16th jan mumbai

message 35: by Kacey (new)

Kacey (kaceyf) | 1 comments Lesley wrote: "The next big race I've got on the calendar is the Tobacco Road Half Marathon in Cary, NC, on March 20."

I ran this one last year and LOVED it--running on the packed trail is nice on the leggies, plus it's a gorgeous route!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (halojen) | 2 comments I am going to have to pick up Katherine Switzer's book. I've always admired her!

Next race for me is this weekend! I'm running the Goofy challenge. I feel ready, but am nervous!

message 37: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper @Kacey, I volunteered for a water stop at Tobacco Road last year, maybe I handed you water! :D

@Jennifer, I bet you'll enjoy Switzer's book a lot! It was the sort of book that made me want to go out and run. A lot.

message 38: by Jill (new)

Jill | 27 comments Have fun at your upcoming races every one! :)