Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Almost Forgotten Authors ?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Back in the day, (late 80s, I think), I purchased a couple of novels by Randall Boyll and Michael Paine, they were soon shelved and forgotten until a recent search of my book shelves.
Has anyone read these gentlemen? Opinions ?

message 2: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments No I do not believe I have read anything by them.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've never heard of them.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I removed this thread from the Lists and Challenges folder and put it here in the Authors folder.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments Here are a couple that I enjoyed that no one else seems to talk about.
Sean Costello
Mark Morris
Sephera Giron

Irene Well Worth A Read Has anyone read any Rick Hautala? He has some great books!

message 7: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I've enjoyed Mark Morris' Deluge
Rick Hautala I always found just so-so

R.Patrick Gates is another author who's put out some great work over the years and is not too well known, he doesn't seem to do any self-promotion or have a website

Irene Well Worth A Read I've read Grimm Reapings, Grimm Memorials,The Prison, Tunnelvision, Vaders, and Fear. Love R. Patrick Gates!

message 9: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments That's awesome, Irene, you've read more Gates than I have, I haven't read Fear. What did you think of Vaders?

Irene Well Worth A Read I liked it even though it's not really my type. I prefer a more supernatural/paranormal horror than a science fictiony alien kind of story.

message 11: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I was really disappointed in Vaders, I thought the writing was terrible comparing to his other books and also, like you, I prefer supernatural horror to alien horror, but I don't think that was the reason for my dislike of Vaders
I'm glad to see you liked it, Irene, I love the difference of opinions on this board

Irene Well Worth A Read Well it didn't make it to my favorites list lol, but it wasn't so bad that I gave up on it. Now my sister on the other hand, borrowed it from me and gave it right back. She said she couldn't get into it at all.

message 13: by Bandit (last edited Feb 07, 2011 08:46AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments yeah, it took all my stubbornness and all my will power to get through Vaders
I'd like to read his next one Nowhere to Hide to see if Vaders was a freak accident or a sign of things changing

Irene Well Worth A Read I hated that one. I don't even include it in my books that I have read because after the first few chapters I just started skipping through it hoping it would get better. It didn't.

message 15: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments oh, that is so disappointing to hear
I guess maybe Gates has lost "it"
good thing I haven't read his early works yet, I can track those down and enjoy, I know Tunnelvision had a sequel too

Irene Well Worth A Read I don't think I knew that. I'll have to look it up. I must have missed it.

Irene Well Worth A Read What about Ray Garton. I don't see him on the authors list. Anyone read him? I really liked Ravenous, Bestial, and Live Girls

message 18: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Deathwalker

I think that's the sequel to Tunnelvision

I've got like 5 or 6 Ray Garton books and still haven't read any, I gotta get on that

Irene Well Worth A Read I looked it up at amazon. 16 bucks for a mass market paperback!

message 20: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Sometimes Amazon is quite unreasonably overpriced. On half.com (an offshoot of ebay) you can get one for 75 cents plus postage
here's the link
http://product.half.ebay.com/Deathwal...

Irene Well Worth A Read thanks!

message 22: by William (new)

William (wmcc) | 41 comments Bob wrote: "Back in the day, (late 80s, I think), I purchased a couple of novels by Randall Boyll and Michael Paine, they were soon shelved and forgotten until a recent search of my book shelves.
Has anyon..."

I read After Sundown by Randall Boyll last year and enjoyed it.This is the only one i've read by him,but i would recommend it.

message 23: by Lee (last edited Feb 08, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Bob,

I've seen the cover of "Monster" before http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/r... And he wrote the "Darkman".

Interesting about Michael Paine, wrote three novels ( '88,'89 & '90 ) then started up again in 2005... http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/m...

Gonna look for both of them at the local used book store.

message 24: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments Irene wrote: "What about Ray Garton. I don't see him on the authors list. Anyone read him? I really liked Ravenous, Bestial, and Live Girls"

I really like Ray Garton's short stories that I've read in anthologies here and there. I would like to read some of his novels too.

Irene Well Worth A Read Kurt I highly recommend the afore mentioned novels. Ray had an original twist on werewolves in Ravenous and bestial.... becoming one is a sexually transmitted disease lol.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Irene wrote: "What about Ray Garton. I don't see him on the authors list. Anyone read him? I really liked Ravenous, Bestial, and Live Girls"

I love Garton :) He's on faceboon and myspace and I've even talked to him. He's a nice guy and a great writer!

message 27: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I'm a big fan of Ira Levin. He wrote only 7 novels, all but two were made into big-budget movies - one was filmed twice - and hardly anyone ever mentions him. Levin was am aster of plotting and suspense, and I think it was King who compared his novels to Swiss watches: they are carefully constructed and narrated in elegant, restrained prose. I only wish he was more prolific.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments God, I love The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin !

message 29: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Tressa wrote: "God, I love The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin!"

I thought I was the only one. I love that book of his. The tension was unbearable.

I'd recommend A Kiss Before Dying. It's his debut. Written over half a century ago, it holds up amazingly well and is an immensely satysfying novel.

I have to stop because I'll recommend everything the man has written. LOL. Not that it's much of it, but still...

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm embarrassed to admit I've had A Kiss Before Dying on my bookshelf for about 20 years and I've never read it.

I've read Rosemary's Baby two or three times, and Stepford Wives at least twice over the decades.

message 31: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Go get it. Don't even read the dustjacket. Just jump right into it. Trust me.

I've too read both Rosemary's Baby and Stepford Wives several times, getting something different ouf of both with each reading. I love this man's fiction. Shame he didn't write more novels.

Another of his I enjoyed is This Perfect Day, which I think is a dystopian classic, yet hardly anyone knows it.

Gee! I just recommended everything, like I said. LOL. I think Levin jumped the shark a bit with Sliver, and totally with The Son Of Rosemary. I still hunted these down and read them, but they didn't stay with me like the rest of his output.

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OMG. Is that the same Sliver that Sharon "Crotch Shot" Stone and a Baldwin brother played in?

You know, I always wondered what happened in the decades after Rosemary's Baby ended, but when Son of Rosemary came out, I wasn't even curious. Go figure.

message 33: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Yes. It wasn't bad, it was just not up to his usual standards.

LOL I remember I searched for that book everywhere because it was out of print for a while. When I finally found it, I read it in a day and was like "WHAT?"

Irene Well Worth A Read Amanda wrote: "Irene wrote: "What about Ray Garton. I don't see him on the authors list. Anyone read him? I really liked Ravenous, Bestial, and Live Girls"

I love Garton :) He's on faceboon and myspace and I've ..."

Me too Amanda, he's on my FB. I read Zombie Love yesterday and loved it. I want to read Folks and Folks 2 but can't find it for less than 50 bucks.

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Irene wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Irene wrote: "What about Ray Garton. I don't see him on the authors list. Anyone read him? I really liked Ravenous, Bestial, and Live Girls"

I love Garton :) He's on faceboon and ..."

That's one of the big drawbacks with some authors. After awhile it can get hard to find some of their books especially if they do a lot of small press and collectors books.

message 36: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments Re: Ray Garton, I took Irene's advice and looked for one of his books at a bookmans (used store) here and found a paperback of Darklings, published in 1985. I was happy at finding it.

Irene Well Worth A Read I wish we had used book stores around here. What few there were all seem to have gone out of bussiness.

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Kurt wrote: "Re: Ray Garton, I took Irene's advice and looked for one of his books at a bookmans (used store) here and found a paperback of Darklings, published in 1985. I was happy at finding it."

I also found a copy of that book in a local used book store :)I have a copy of Lovliest Dead from when I was subscribed to Liesure's Book Club in the 90s.

Irene that's terrible :( In our area they're flourishing over the regular book stores because they cost less and offer more.

message 39: by Ken (last edited Feb 16, 2011 06:50AM) (new)

Ken (reedr) | 36 comments What about Ruby Jean Jensen , the author of all those somewhat-cheesy, 80's/ early 90's horror novels about demon-possessed dolls (often with skeletons on the cover) ? I actually read quite a few of them when I was a teenager and was properly terrified. Now, I don't think they'd do the trick though... There used to be a website dedicated to her but I can't locate it anymore.

Ruby Jean Jensen

message 40: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I love Ruby Jean Jensen and own just about all of her books, I think her work holds up pretty well especially her tendency to kill off main characters midway and gruesomely.

message 41: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 21 comments Kudos BloodyHorror! I'm a big fan of Ruby's! I have actually collected all of her books. Some of which, were tough to come by.

message 42: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments Irene wrote: "I wish we had used book stores around here. What few there were all seem to have gone out of bussiness."

There have been some used bookstores that have gone under here too. Then I just saw today that Borders is going chapter 11 and planning on closing (a 3rd of?) stores, something like 200 stores.

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments I actually picked up a Sephera Giron book not long ago called House of Pain that I am planning on reading soon.

message 44: by Irene Well Worth A Read (last edited Feb 17, 2011 02:27AM) (new)

Irene Well Worth A Read I remember Ruby from when I was a kid. My mother had a lot of her books. It was so long ago that all I can really remember is that I liked them, but not specifics about the stories.

Amanda there is a newer Ray Garton book still available at reasonable price. "scissors". It was pretty good.

Kurt I saw about borders on the news this morn. They blamed a lot of it on ebooks and amazon. Even their customers said they used it more as a coffee shop and then bought their books online.

message 45: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 303 comments I remember Jensen. anybody remember Clare McNally, who wrote ghsot House? or J.N.(or M.?) wiilliamson he had a whole bunch of books.

message 46: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 21 comments Yes, I have quite a few McNally and Williamson titles as well. J.N. in particular wrote quite a few.

message 47: by Paul (last edited Mar 15, 2011 06:15AM) (new)

Paul Hollis | 303 comments whatever happened to Tamara Thorne,Michael Slade, David Martin...they had some good books.

message 48: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I have some J.N.Williamson, Noonspell and some other ones I think, but was never very motivated to read him...is he any good?

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul Hollis | 303 comments Bandit wrote: "I have some J.N.Williamson, Noonspell and some other ones I think, but was never very motivated to read him...is he any good?"

I liked him in 80's when I was a teenager, don't know how they would seem now, haven't read any in 20years

message 50: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 21 comments re Paul, looks like all of them are still writing and have sites up.

re Bandit, Williamson was a very respected horror author. He wrote a great deal from the 1970's to the 2000's. Sadly, he passed away in 2005.

« previous 1