Fires in the Mind-eBook Conversation discussion

eBook Reading Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Franki (new)

Franki Sibberson | 19 comments Mod
This is for discussions around thoughts and ideas around the ideas of reading/discussions with an eBook and the implications for the classroom.

message 2: by Franki (new)

So, while I was reading on my Kindle today--I read the intro and Chapter 1--I saw these very light lines under some text. I didn't realize what they were until later in the chapter but the Kindle version semi-underlines the text that has been popularly highlighted. In very light lettering underneath it says, "highlighted by 10 people", etc. It was not distracting until I knew what it was. Then I paid attention and wondered if it had an impact on my own highlighting? I was curious about what others had higlighted but not sure I wanted to know as I was reading. I found myself questioning my judgement when I did not intend to highlight a line that was "popularly higlighted". Definitely changed my reading a tad. Kind of like reading a used college textbook but one in which you can see what lots of people highlighted rather than just one.

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Feb 12, 2011 04:38AM) (new)

Jackie | 1 comments My student gave me a Kindle for christmas. I know, wow. But I was hesitant to use it, the whole, why would I buy a book just for me, when I can buy a real book for the whole class. On top of that Kindle, unlike Nook, is not public library friendly. Let me know as soon as that changes! Anyhow, this group inspired me to try it out. First thought: wow could this help my kids. When they come to an unknown word, the definition is right there. And just to echo Franki's earlier comment, those highlights, make private reading a public act. Interesting possibilities there. At WSRA a teacher told me, schools can purchase one e-book and load it onto 6 devises. Thanks for the forum. Anxious to start reading!

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Mere (catmere) | 11 comments I'm participating on my new Nook (which I love by the way). I'm able to highlight and note which is quite convenient. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to just few my highlights and notes. I think it might not be possible which would be a bit of a disappointment. I can't make post-its stick out from the pages either...lol. I'm going to have to play with this a bit.

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Mere (catmere) | 11 comments Franki wrote: "So, while I was reading on my Kindle today--I read the intro and Chapter 1--I saw these very light lines under some text. I didn't realize what they were until later in the chapter but the Kindle v..."

Hmmm. I think I would be distracted by the highlights. I wonder if you can enable/disable it. When I borrow a book from a friend I'm always as interested in their notes and highlights as the book itself. Can you see the notes of others as well?

message 6: by Franki (new)

Catmere wrote: "Franki wrote: "So, while I was reading on my Kindle today--I read the intro and Chapter 1--I saw these very light lines under some text. I didn't realize what they were until later in the chapter b..."

Yes, it is very light so you can miss it until you realize what it is. You can also go to the kindle page on amazon to see more highlights, etc. I have to figure this out . Definitely changes something...

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments I find I'm having a difficult time getting highlighting to stop. I'm actually cracking myself up with my all-thumbs coordination. One time ended up highlighting entire first chapter - don't know how. The undo of that fiasco was a lot of fun. I love my learning curve. :)

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Mere (catmere) | 11 comments I finally figured out how to view my highlights on the Nook without paging through the book. Yay!

message 9: by Franki (new)

Catmere wrote: "I finally figured out how to view my highlights on the Nook without paging through the book. Yay!"

woohooo! I keep hearing really good things about the nook. I need to play with one.

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Mere (catmere) | 11 comments Just figured out how to tweet quotes directly from my reader to Twitter. You can all imagine how exciting this was for me!

message 11: by Franki (new)

How do you tweet quotes from your reader? Who knew?

message 12: by Franki (new)

Just went to my highlights page on Kindle but every day, a review/quote/highlight comes up from something I've read and higlighted beforee. Today was from The Element and the quote was " Ask a class of first graders which of them thinks they’re creative and they’ll all put their hands up. Ask a group of college seniors this same question and most of them won’t." Love that surprise and the reminder of quotes from books that stood out to me. I could go on and read all of my quotes from that book. Interesting way to revisit a book unexpectedly.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Mere (catmere) | 11 comments Franki, that's a nice feature (random quote reminders). Hmmm, wondering if I can do that on my Nook?