FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > BEETS the forgotten vegetable

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt)
The NY Times is doing a week of recipes for beets. I don't know about the rest of you, but I love beets but forget all about them. I also have not been creative enough to think of many recipes. So here is one that looks delicious using the greens:

1 pound beet greens (2 large or 3 small bunches)

Salt

1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)

Freshly ground pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil while you stem the greens and wash the leaves in 2 rinses of water. When the water comes to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the greens. Blanch for 2 minutes, until tender. Transfer immediately to a bowl of ice water, then drain and squeeze the water out from its leaves. Chop coarsely.

2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the garlic and hot red pepper flakes (if using) and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant and translucent, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in the greens. Stir for a couple of minutes, until the greens are nicely seasoned with garlic and oil. Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and serve.

Note: Some people enjoy a few drops of lemon juice with their cooked greens, so you might want to pass a plate of lemon wedges.

Advance preparation: The blanched greens will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.

Yield: Serves 2 to 4

Approximate Nutritional Information: 211 calories per serving; 151 calories from fat; total fat: 16.8g; saturated fat 3.8g; cholesterol 13mg; sodium 282mg; total carbohydrates 11.6g; dietary fiber: 2.5g; sugars 8.6g; protein 5.3g. (Data provided by Calorie-count.com.)

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) Mediterranean Beet and Yogurt Salad (NY TIMES)
4 medium size beets, roasted

11/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 to 2 garlic cloves (to taste)

1/2 cup thick Greek style yogurt or drained yogurt

2 tablespoons minced dill

1. Roast the beets, peel and cut in wedges or slice into half-moons. Stir together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the warm beets and allow to marinate for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

2. Place the garlic in a mortar and pestle, add 1/8 teaspoon salt, and mash to a paste. Stir into the yogurt. Stir in half the dill. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain the beets and stir some of the marinade into the yogurt (to taste). Toss with the beets, or arrange the beets on a platter and drizzle the yogurt over the top. Sprinkle on the remaining dill, and serve.

Advance preparation:

The beets can be prepared and marinated 4 or 5 days ahead.

Variation: You may substitute chopped or slivered fresh mint for the dill.

Yield: Serves 4

Approximate Nutritional Information: 136 calories per serving; 67 calories from fat; total fat: 7.5g; saturated fat 1.3g; cholesterol 2mg; sodium 103mg; total carbohydrates 14.5g; dietary fiber: 2.2g; sugars 11.3g; protein 3.6g (Data provided by calorie-count.com)

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) Here is the 3rd recipe

Beet and Endive Salad With Walnuts
By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
This salad is a French classic, to which I add a small amount of goat cheese or feta. (In France, they might use blue cheese or go without any cheese), a tart contrast to the sweet beets.

To make the dressing:

1 tablespoon sherry vinegar

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Sea salt, kosher salt, or fleur de sel

1/2 to 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (to taste)

1 very small garlic clove, finely minced or put through a press

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon walnut oil

Freshly ground pepper

To make the salad:

4 small or medium beets, roasted, peeled, and cut in wedges or half-moons

4 Belgian endives, rinsed and sliced

2 tablespoons broken walnuts, preferably from fresh shelled walnuts

2 ounces fresh, mild goat cheese or feta, crumbled

2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon

1 teaspoon minced chives

1. Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, salt to taste, Dijon mustard and garlic until combined well. Whisk in the olive oil and the walnut oil. Add freshly ground pepper to taste.

2. Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and serve.

Advance preparation: The roasted beets will keep for five days in the refrigerator. You can make the dressing several hours ahead.

Yield: Serves four

Approximate nutritional information: 211 calories per serving; 151 calories from fat; total fat: 16.8g; saturated fat 3.8g; cholesterol 13mg; sodium 282mg; total carbohydrates 11.6g; dietary fiber: 2.5g; sugars 8.6g; protein 5.3g. (Data provided by calorie-count.com.)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Meg: The only beets I've ever had are the red ones that come in a can. Do you find that fresh beets taste the same? I'd like to try these recipes (especially the third one) but I just HATE those damn beets in a can. EW! Anyway, there are quite a few foods that taste different when they haven't been processed, so I'm wondering if beets are the same way...

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Oh, also:
What do the greens taste like? Same as the root?

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) If you go to the fresh produce section in your supermarket, or you go to a farm stand, you will find fresh beets. Of course buy them with the greens so you can use them too. Fresh beets are delicious, canned ones I find gross. The greens taste more like they are in the spinach or chard family. In my opinion anything with oil or garlic is great. I put these recipes online with the vegetarians in mind.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Awesome. Wow, now I'm quite looking forward to eating a beet!

I'll add it to my to do list for the Year of Adventure. Thanks, Meg!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Hmmm I haven't tried fresh beets. I love the ones in a jar that are pickled. But I don't just eat them. I throw them in my salads and I like them like that.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) Beets are delicious. You have to remember to get the skin off of them, that is the trick.