Homesteading discussion

Homesteading Book Club?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Best | 15 comments Mod
Anyone interested in a book club focused on the topic of homesteading?
We could select a book - maybe monthly or quarterly. Then just discuss it here. We could chat about whether the author posed useful ideas, had interesting points or was just off his/her rocker.
If you're interested, what book would you like to start off reading?

message 2: by Amber (last edited Feb 07, 2011 11:43AM) (new)

Amber | 11 comments I'm very interested!! I've heard good things about Second Nature by M. Pollan or Urban Homesteaders Koyne i think is the author.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Well, how about we read Second Nature by Michael Pollan. Lets say we need to finish by Mar 31 - is that far enough out?

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Szwalkiewicz (viggie) | 12 comments Thanks for the extra time, and yes Pollan would be awesome!

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 11 comments sounds good to me!

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Just got my copy from Amazon! Meet you back here on or about 3/31 to discuss it. Happy Reading!

message 7: by Stitchywoman (new)

Stitchywoman | 14 comments Just reserved my copy at the library. It sounds really interesting and looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the extra reading time. It will give me time to finish Square Foot Gardening and The Screwtape Letters which I'm currently reading.

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Szwalkiewicz (viggie) | 12 comments I had tried requesting it from the library but there was still quite a wait on it. But tonight I found it at Borders when I went to check out their going out of business sale...so I can get started reading this weekend :)

message 9: by Stitchywoman (new)

Stitchywoman | 14 comments Lynn wrote: "Borders when I went to check out their going out of business sale."

Boarders is going out of business?? I was just there last week and I didn't see anything about it. I hope Barnes and Nobles is still safe. I'll be very upset if I lose all my bookstores!

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Szwalkiewicz (viggie) | 12 comments They filed for bankruptcy and are closing about 1/3 of their stores and liquidating assets. The store by me is at the 20-40% of phase. I'd actually never been to one before...I'm a half priced books and amazon sorta girl I guess.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Szwalkiewicz (viggie) | 12 comments Oh yay I figured out how to add the book to our currently reading section. It created a discussion link in the group if we want to do our reviews there?

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 11 comments Sure Lynn, sounds to me. But not sure i know where you mean...will roam around.

i will be upset about the bookstores closing, but what choice do they have with ereaders??? i'm not getting one until i absolutely have to!

message 13: by Stitchywoman (new)

Stitchywoman | 14 comments Amber wrote: "i will be upset about the bookstores closing, but what choice do they have with ereaders??? i'm not getting one ..."
I totally agree. There's something very exciting about opening that new book and holding it in your hands. And I don't care how they try, the ereaders will never be able to duplicate that certain smell an older library book has. Hunkering down by a cold fire on a stormy night wouldn't be the same if you had a flat electronic device in your hands instead of a good book.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy (amlahe616) | 5 comments I too just found my copy at the Borders sale. I am going to start it today.

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber | 11 comments Amen! Stitchywoman wrote: "Amber wrote: "i will be upset about the bookstores closing, but what choice do they have with ereaders??? i'm not getting one ..."
I totally agree. There's something very exciting about opening t..."

message 16: by Angela England (new)

Angela England | 2 comments Would love to continue reading homesteading books together and hearing more about books you guys like! :-)