~Opinions~ discussion

Science > Designer babies

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i don't think this should be allowed. why can't people just make babies the normal way? having a bunch of "perfect" people would be kind of scary.

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments well said! humans are trying too hard to control nature.

message 3: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments but it's not just the wealthy who are against nature. without even intending to, poor farmers are making dents in nature as well.

message 4: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments the "designer babies"? i'm really behind on this stuff...

message 5: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments this world is getting more twisted by the year...

message 6: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments Don't get me started on the Nazis...These experiments were performed before or after the babies were born?

message 7: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments But they did not alter the DNA of the baby or anything? Sorry, I don't know much about genetics.
If this was done by the Nazis, why are people still doing it today?

message 8: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments Survival of the fittest depends on the ability to adapt, not the color of a person's eyes.
Of all those things, choosing a personality would be the worst. It wouldn't be a personality anymore; the person would be like a robot. Well, not really, but I would hate it if my personality had been chosen for me.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Your whole personality can't be defined by your genes, only your tendencies.

And I do think that it should be looked further into. Not that I agree with people manipulating the looks of their child, to make it look better, but to cure sicknesses before they even start. Imagine if we could hinder kids from being born with the genes that carry cancer or cardiovascular diseases.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Next thing you know, they'll try cloning humans...

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) So? If they find a way to clone humans, we'll have limit-free organ donors. None of the scientists I know of are researching cloning for the purpose of war, or populating the earth. It is purely medical reasons. People tend to be afraid of what is new, to only see one side of it. I doubt that cloning will do much bad in the world, if they ever actually invent an actual cloning device. A lot of things have been opposed, especially by conservatives, throughout the ages, which have turned out well. Take antibiotics for example. That was "going against nature", but look at what it's done for the world.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments lol that stuff sounds cool but i dont understand. Maybe because its late here...

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) How late?

Tell me what you don't understand, then maybe I'll be able to elaborate.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) How so Rene?

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Oh, you mean it's not fully developed yet. I thought you meant that it was generally dangerous. Yeah, the technique is not quite finished yet. But when it is... It might do a heck of a lot of good for the medical world.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I doubt it's been fully developed either, the organ-printer. I'm pretty sure people would've known if it had.

message 17: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments But the point is, there are PLANS. Plans lead to results.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Of course they do. And when it is fully developed, it'll be great. But until then, it'll continues to be amongst the scientific projects we'll be holding our breaths for.

message 19: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Man today uses everything that has been created for his benefit to spoil the world, to create disasters. I'm not saying everyone will use these stuff for bad stuff, but a lot of people will.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) And in the right hands it can safe thousands and thousands of lives. Because some people make up movies and stories about clones, doesn't mean that it'll happen. There's a risk in just about everything, and if we don't take it, we'll never get anywhere. We might as well go back to the Dark Middle ages, if we're not gonna seize the possibilities we have made for ourselves in the world.

message 21: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Correct; everything has its advantages and disadvantages.