Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Perelandra Trilogy by CS Lewis: SF or Fantasy?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments The Perelandra or Space Trilogy is one of the best Golden Age of Fantasy series, IMO.

How do you shelve these? Science Fiction or Fantasy?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 217 comments i'd class them as planetary romances alongside Burroughs Mars and Venus books and Leigh Brackett - essentially fantasy, but with some of the SF accoutrements. verbally i often refer to this kind of thing as SF, i guess because they are part of the history of it, but by modern definitions that isn't really tenable.

one of the reasons that fantasy and science fiction tend to be, and really need to be, shelved together.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Well, it seems like Silent Planet is mostly in the early sf category, with elements of fantasy. Perelandra is clearly the story of Adam, Eve, and Satan redone, only with a champion (Ransom) as agent for God. That Hideous Strength has more of a a bent towards pure (historical/mythic)fantasy with the involvement of Merlin's Druidic powers and that of numerous creatures, both natural and mythic. Strength also themes Machine vs. Garden/Industrial vs. Agrarian/Unnatural vs. Natural.