Romance Audiobooks discussion

Favorite Authors in Audio > Ilona Andrews

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Mar 14, 2011 09:36PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Ilona Andrews is best known for her amazing Kate Daniels series but I personally discovered her through The Edge series

Any Goodreads Ilona Andrew fans are going to know I stole this idea for a post, but since it is one of my favorite scenes I thought it deserved a replay.

Especially from the audiobook angel as Renee Raudman is perfect narrating this book and bringing out the humor with in.

Bayou Moon is the second book in The Edge series and features William, a werewolf, who naturally has an acute sense of smell. A scene from early in the book ...

He’d spent the night in the boat. Next to the spaghetti queen.

William glanced at the hobo girl. She sat across from him, huddled in a clump. Her stench had gotten worse overnight, probably from the dampness. Another night like the last one, and he might snap and dunk her into that river just to clear the air.

She saw him looking. Dark eyes regarded him with slight scorn.

William leaned forward and pointed at the river. “I don’t know why you rolled in spaghetti sauce,” he said in a confidential voice. “I don’t really care. But that water over there won’t hurt you. Try washing it off.”

She stuck her tongue out.

“Maybe after you’re clean,” he said.

Her eyes widened. She stared at him for a long moment. A little crazy spark lit up in her dark irises. She raised her finger, licked it, and rubbed some dirt off her forehead.

Now what?

The girl showed him her stained finger and reached toward him slowly, aiming for his face.

“No,” William said. “Bad hobo.”

The finger kept coming closer.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments This is a good series....I also read The Edge before the Kate Daniels...but have both on audio....Renee Raudman is a great narrator for both

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) The Kate Daniels audiobooks are great!! I've already listened to #2 and am waiting on #3 to hit my library. Renee Raudman is quickly climbing my charts of top narrators. I am also listening to her in Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series; she started narrating at #13 Into the Fire.

Though I like the Kate Daniels series, I feel like it's a book you really need to listen to closely. Ilona Andrews builds an intracate world and writes alot of rich details that you want to get every bit of. As I often multi-task when listening to audios (errands, working out, driving, etc), I sometimes felt like I missed something simply because I zoned out for a minute. Never-the-less, I'm still enjoying it and plan to start On the Edge while I wait for Magic Strikes.

message 4: by Vic (last edited Feb 07, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Thanks for adding Ilona Andrews Brenda! LOVE Kate Daniels series. I stumbled across Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews while browsing the paperbacks at the local Walmart. I ended NOT getting because the page count was too low. Then Amazon started recommending these books to me and I ended up getting books 1-2 together and LOVED them! I of course got each new book as it was released in paperback and audio format and stalk their website for Curran POVs written by Gordon.

I agree that Ilona and Gordon do a fabulous job building unique and detailed worlds and it could be easy to miss something. Simple solution is to read it AND have it around to re-listen to! :)

I also agree that Rene does a fine job with these. I wasn't a huge fan of her reading at first because it just wasn't the Kate voice I had in my head. But I have listened to them over and over and now am a big fan of her narration in this series.

message 5: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments OK, you guys have convinced me. This will be my "recommended by others" book for the challenge.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I think this will be my "recommended by others" too. I just picked it up in the Audible sale. :)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Me too! That makes three of us.

message 8: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Just a warning that this book IS Urban Fantasy and being the first in the series there will be more world building in this one. Each book in the series gets better and the romance that sparks in book 1 builds over time as well.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) I echo Vic's comments. I was resistant to UF for a long time because I love the romance element. However, between Ilona Andrews and Carolyn Crane, I'm definitely more open to the genre.

With KD, you have such a strong, yet believable heroine, great character interactions and world-building that the little romantic tension that builds in over time was more than enough to keep me engaged.

message 10: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments Diana suggested I post this question over here - I first asked it on her review of the first Edge series book. She was interested in other's thoughts too. So, there it is: How would you compare this series with the Kate Daniels series? Is it more romantic? Less? Is it in 1st person POV or 3rd? I read something about the series so I know it's not set in the Kate Daniels world but I'm curious to know whether you think those that love KD will automatically love this series too? Thoughts? :)

message 11: by Brenda (last edited Mar 07, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Your just getting my HO here ... although your getting a new and different world with The Edge series as opposed to KD your still getting the amazing Ilona Andrews, how can that be bad? You do get more romance as both of the books in The Edge series are wrapped up on their own by the end with and HEA.

You also get POV from both the hero and heroine (along with some others I think, it's been awhile) so that is a change up from the first person POV found in the Kate/Curran series.

Your looking at a total Ilona Andrews fan here after reading both series, but I'm claiming you can't go wrong with The Edge series if you loved Kate Daniels. Genius is genius, no matter the story line, add in Renee Raudman to narrate and there you go. :)

message 12: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments okay, okay, I'm sold! :)

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments LOL, maybe somebody less enthralled with Ilona Andrews writing will come by ...

Now I'll be looking forward to your thoughts K, so hurry up and listen! :)

message 14: by Terra (new)

Terra (terralyne) | 28 comments I am currently listening to the KD series and I might fall into the "less enthralled" category. While I enjoy Raudman completely (LOVE the Troubleshooters series...one of my all time faves!), it is harder to listen to this particular series because of the graphic nature of some of the scenes. Does that make sense? I can skim through those sections if I'm reading the book...much harder to do while listening. I can't seem to give up on the series though!! I just finished #2 and I LOVED that she brough Princess Bride into Kate and Curran's world! :) Sneaky, sneaky.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments Ilona Andrews is one of my favorite authors...I read/listened to The Edge before the Kate Daniels series and did find that it was quite a bit more graphic then I was used to....the series just gets better and better with each book

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianadcmd) Thanks to y'all I started with Bayou Moon and I'm currently listening to Edge. I really love IA's worldbuilding and sense of fun amidst some pretty terrifying adventures. Of course, I'm going to need to listen to Bayou again because I need that sense of order.

I'm going to start the Kate series. Y'all are my pushers.

message 17: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Ilona (and Gordon) are one of my favorite author duo's as well! LOVE the world-building in her stories and her writing style. They also have a nice sharp wit. I didn't get into The Edge as much as KD. I read On the Edge but not Bayou Moon yet. I got that when it was on last $4.95 sale.

I'm not bothered by any gruesomeness in these because I've listened to some graphic thriller novels (John Sandford) and THEY can be gruesome (esp. the earliest ones)!

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments How long have I been waiting for this??? Thanks so much, I wouldn't have found it near as quickly. :D

May 31st can't get here quickly enough! Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews