The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > And the winner is..............

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - this book is fairly short as whichwaydidshe go mentioned.If we would like to be ambitious our first month we could also add Wicked, our runner up.

That works for me, but I know some of you are busy. Add a yay or nay to the additional book.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Works for me too since I have already read both of them... LOL...

message 3: by Brooke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Brooke sounds good =]

message 4: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Tiffany Sounds great! I'm excited to get started. =)

message 5: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Ok quick note - I'm not sure either of these were specifically mentioned in an episode, but I believe they were both on the WB book club list. If they are please feel free to say so.

And here's my little Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde trivia bit - Sebastian Bach (Gil) played the title role in the Broadway musical Jekyll and Hyde. Has anyone seen this?

message 6: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Woohoo! I'm on to Wicked!

By the way, Gil ROCKS. There was rarely a scene with him where I WASN'T laughing. He just killed me. Maybe, though, that's because I loved several years in an area where lots of current and past famous rock stars live... with their families. In fact I'd babysit for them... plus we've all met the wanna-be-rockers with the 1960's VB bus. Okay, maybe I just met them all.

So Shannon, are you saying the WB lied? LOL

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, I don't remember Wicked being mentioned on the show, but maybe it was used as a prop or something. There've been times where Rory was reading or carrying a book but didn't talk about the book she was reading.

Never saw Sebastian Back as Jekyll/Hyde... I've seen the show several times and it's amazing (usually). There's a whole love triangle in the musical though that's not in the book. Has anyone seen David Hasselhoff in it? Horrendous. And really, really funny.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search...

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Meghan Well, I've already read Wicked, so feel free to add it to the mix. The only thing that I feel I should mention is that the book (Wicked) is really dense, and there are a LOT of great topics to discuss. Wouldn't want that to get lost in the discussing of Jekyll. But then again, with online discussions, it's probably easier to discuss multiple books.

Looking forward to reading Jekyll. It might be interesting to compare and contrast (sorry to bring up bad English class memories) the two main characters of the books (Mr. Hyde and Elphaba). I think the topic of "what is evil" is especially poignant for both books.

message 9: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Yeah I never trusted that WB! ;)
OMG I listened the Hasselhoff rendition and it's a good way to start of the morning - uh I couldn't stop laughing.

Whichway you're going to have to eventually fill us in on the aging rockstar babysitting jobs you had.

Thanks for the heads up on the books Meghan - I can tell we are going to have some great discussion going on around here.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) That is a great point, Meghan. OK, I've listened to the musical's cast recording way too much so this may not be from the book (I can't remember), but Galinda has a great line. "Are people born wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?" That would be a really great question to discuss with both stories.

message 11: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Okay, if that Hasselhoff thing is any inkling as to what the musical is like, NO THANK YOU. He should go do his performing in Germany... they love him there. Go figure. Hassellhoff, guy that can never get the uptight out of him, being liked by the Germans. Can't think what the draw might be. ;)

Here's my big question... has anyone seen the show Jekyll on BBC America with James Nesbitt? It soooo rocks. Okay, so I was predisposed to like it because I've had a thing for Nesbitt ever since Murphy's Law (another BBC series). But Jekyll is a modern version, with Nesbitt's character being a decendent of Jekyll whom it is found was a real person.

But here is the thing, through the course of the first season, you find out that Hyde with all his cruelty and baseness... and his heightened abilities... is the embodiment of pure love. I found that far more interesting than him being pure evil. I don't want to ruin the book, so I'll leave the thrust of my comparison and question until all have finished it.

Which makes me think... maybe we should start a post where once you've finished Jekyll & Hyde you can post there so that once all have finished we can begin that discussion and it won't overlap/be drowned out by Wicked discussions. What do you think?

message 12: by Jacqui (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Jacqui Joyce | 2 comments umm adding an additional book could be hard for me since i am still in high school but i can manage and its funny because i am in an English class that all we do is read and discuss books but the love of reading will hopefully keep me going!!!

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) NO... Jekyll/Hyde the musical is an excellent show. It was a very, very poor decision to cast David Hasselhoff as Henry/Edward. Listen to the original concept album with Bob Cuccioli and Linda Eder. If's amazing.

I also highly, highly recommend the musical Wicked. It's one of the top 5 shows I've seen (and I've seen a LOT of shows).

Sorry to be sort of off-topic here, but it's funny that the 2 books we're talking about are musicals since theatre is my first passion.

message 14: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Meghan 1. I'm not sure how you were planning on setting up the discussions Shannon. But perhaps you can have one for Jekyll, one for Wicked, and one for comparing the two? This way, if people only want to read one, they don't have to feel excluded in the points made for the other book.

2. As usual when basing something from a book, it's never the same. The musical Wicked is "loosely" based on the book. However, I enjoyed both the musical and book but for separate reasons. Let's just say the musical is a much more happy version of the story.

But I think that the quote Sarah gave pretty much sums up the premise of the story for the book. Basically, is the Wicked Witch (Elphaba) really "evil" or just misunderstood? It's what makes this book so great (to me) because it really stands the whole concept of the story of the Wizard of Oz on its head just by telling it through a different set of eyes.

3. Some other thoughts: Is her sister, the "wicked witch" of the east evil? And if so, is she more evil than Elphaba? What about Dorothy (who is a murderer twice over if you think about it)? Compare the Animal/animal treatment to slavery or Nazi Germany. (This would be an interesting comparison to the Muslim extremist culture in the Middle East as portrayed in "The Bookseller in Kabul" or "Reading Lolita in Tehran".) Is there any comparison to the University times to that of the 60s movement or even the French revolution (like in Les Miserable)? (Sorry, I like comparing things.)

4. If anyone has any other pointers to think about for Jekyll, I'd appreciate them. It helps me when I read a story (not to have it given away) but to be able to look for the more significant themes.

message 15: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Ok - I have a couple thoughts here. Yes, we should definitely start a new post for each book. And I do like the idea of having a compare and contrast post because we are dealing with similar themes here. In addition, it would be nice if we had a place for people who are still reading the book to discuss main themes - I guess a kind of no spoilers book post. So that would be about 5 new posts we are setting up, but I think we can manage.

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions, this is my first time doing an online book club so I have no idea what I am doing!!! All the great feedback will really help shape this group.

message 16: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Whichway - no I haven't seen Jekyll. Sounds interesting though. I'll have to check it out.

Meghan - I like how you pointed out Dorothy is a murderer. As a child watching the movie I always found the part where the house lands on the witch disturbing and also the following celebration. I look forward to delving into these topics more.

Sarah - I'm not a big musical fan - I like some and others just don't work for me, but I am going to see Wicked at the beginning of January. It will be good to have read the book beforehand. I'm really looking forward to it.

Ok and this is just random but does anybody facebook here? It's one of my obsessions and it would be cool to add you as my friend.

message 17: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Meghan, I like your thinking regarding comparing. While it's not to another book, when reading Jekyll & Hyde, I would suggest thinking about cultural values then and now. Look how the narrator is described. What was important for the author to point out in order to form his "good" character? I'm itching to talk about this, so I'd better stop!

Sarah, what are the other 4 in your top 5 musicals? Oh, and in what city did you see each of them?

Shannon, I have a facebook account, but don't go on very often. I'm more inclined to myspace when I do go on.

message 18: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Meghan Okay! Thanks for the advice. I just bought my book today and will try to get it done soon so I can participate in all the discussions. I like how you're going to set things up Shannon.

Another question came up when I was purchasing my book: What version is everyone reading of Dr. Jekyll? I got the Penguin Readers because there was a really nice introduction in it. But just wondering if there aren't better ones out there. And with the classics, should there be a recommended version or will that really matter? I guess, for me, if someone likes a particular version I like to know about it. I've found that some have really nice reader's guides in them to help you appreciate the story more. (Oops. I guess that's two questions...)

I have yet to open a facebook account. With the addiction to myspace slightly out of control, I'm afraid to start another one! heh

message 19: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I read Dr. Jekyll online, actually, when I was working a very boring job and had oodles of time to read but wasn't allowed to bring a book to my desk. It was either online-literature.com or literature.org.

Whichwaydidshego... I'm a musical fanatic so it's hard for me to say what my favorites are, but Wicked is one of the best I have ever seen. I saw it on tour in San Francisco. Also up there are Young Frankenstein: The Musical (Seattle, pre-Broadway tryout), The Pajama Game revival (New York, but I'm obsessed with Harry Connick Jr. so that infulences my opinion), The Sweeney Todd revival (New York), Les Miserables (I've seen it 7 times in different cities). Honorable Mention would be: The Drowsy Chaperone (NYC), Sunset Boulevard (NYC), Miss Saigon (NYC), The Scarlet Pimpernel (Sacramento, National Tour), Mamma Mia (Sacramento and Las Vegas national tours), Jersey Boys (Sacramento National Tour), Thoroughly Modern Millie (National Tour) and tons of others. I used to love The Phantom of the Opera but the last time I saw it (last year, on Broadway, for the fifth time) I hated it. Maybe I've outgrown it, or maybe it's just time for the show to die. I could go on for hours about shows I've seen; maybe there should be a goodmusicals.com? LOL

message 20: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Tiffany Sarah,
I'm a big musical fan also. I've seen Rent, Chicago and Wicked this year and I recently bought season tickets for the Ahmanson Theater's (L.A.)all-musical '07-'08 season. A few years ago my friend and I even flew to San Francisco just for one night to see Les Miserables when it was on tour! =)

message 21: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

I saw Les Miserables when it was up here in San Francisco but was so disappointed after seeing it on Broadway. I mean, I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE that musical, but from the stage to the performances it was so inferior in SF. That's why I earlier asked Sarah about where she saw each of them because it certainly can make a difference. I look forward to living in Manhattan one day partially for the fact that I will be able to visit Broadway regularly!

Hey, we should start a musical thread for this month so we can talk about the differences from books to musicals, etc. I haven't seen either of the ones for these books, but would be interested to read what you all have to say about them!

message 22: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I bought the Bantam classic of J/H. It has no introduction, but an afterword by Jerome Charyn (?).

I really hope we can keep up the idea of reading one classic with one contemporary. Readers can choose to read one, the other, or both. And these two books work so well as companions...

I am a musical junkie as well, and my favorite of all time is Mamma Mia! I highly reccommend it for silly fun. I am yet to see Wicked, though, so that may change...

message 23: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I hope Shannon doesn't mind, but I made a new topic for discussing the musical versions. I figured since Shannon said she's not into musicals and I know both shows really well, it'd be OK.

message 24: by Mollie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Mollie (MollieSultenfuss) I'm definitely game for J/H! I'll do my best to fill the ambition with Wicked, too, but I can't make any guarantees. Great idea for the strands for each book, as well as a compare/contrast between the two books. We don't exactly get riveting theatrical productions in smalltown Kansas, but if Netflix has something for J/H, then I'm in business!

message 25: by Kiara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Kiara | 2 comments So I've been busy and I may not have read if a another post already addressed this. I did a quick search and found that there are many fan sites that have Rory book clubs. (I was naive in thinking I was alone in being such a die hard fan.) Anyway, one of the sites has the book list broken down by episode and I though it might be helpful in future discussions. Here's the link:
http://chilton.smithereen.net/rorylis...

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mollie, Netflix might have the David Hasselhoff version of Jekyll/Hyde, but he's pretty terrible. It'll give you an idea of what the play is like, though. The girls are fantastic in it.

You can also do YouTube searches for both J/H and Wicked and watch scenes.

message 27: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Hey Sarah and everybody else - please put up your own posts whenever you want.

Kiara - thanks for the book list post. I've found several book lists for the episodes, but I still haven't found a comprehensive one yet.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.