Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Do you flip to the back? Yes or no.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I admit that I'm sometimes guilty of flipping to the back to find out whether a certain plotline has been resolved to my satisfaction or the fate of a character. Most times spoiling the story doesn't affect whether I finish the book or not although there have been a couple of cases...

How about you?

Just did it for one of the books I've been waiting years for to find out that it ends in a cliffhanger. *disgusted* I just read the POV of the character I was interested, and I'm seriously considering putting off properly reading the book until the next book comes out so that I don't have to wait years between cliffhangers.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 417 comments I hardly ever flip to the back of the book, if I do at all it's just to see how many chapters there are.

Lately I've only been doing that when the book I'm reading is part of a challenge that I'm doing for a group. Otherwise no I don't usually flip to the back.

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Flip to the back?!?!?!?! Sacrilege!!!! Haha, no, just kidding... but I never flip to the back. I think it's a motivational thing. I'm worried that if I see something I don't like near the end, I'll lose all motivation to finish the book, and I really hate leaving books unfinished. I must be odd though, because although I'd never dream of doing it for a book, I do it all the time for tv shows. I love tv spoilers.

This week I've been watching the amazing Downton Abbey, and even thought there are only seven episodes, immediately after I watched the first I had to go look up everything that would happen in the next episodes. I think with tv it's more of a visual thing so even if I know what happens I'll still get enjoyment out of watching the scenes take place, and in some ways it's even more fun knowing in advance because you're not confused or slow on the uptake or missing all the little hints that you might not notice if you didn't know in advance what was going on.

I feel you on the annoyance with cliffhangers though, niquae. I get angry at them too, and I think they're being overused in books right now. In a few rare instances, cliffhangers can be effective, but for the most part I find them too be a lazy and manipulative plot device. They're one of the main reasons that I try not to read series until they're complete, or at least not until several books in the series are out. That and the fact that I have a horrible memory, so if there's a year or two inbetween books in a series I tend to forget character's names, etc.

message 4: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Alicia wrote: "I feel you on the annoyance with cliffhangers though, niquae. I get angry at them too, and I think they're being overused in books right now. In a few rare instances, cliffhangers can be effective, but for the most part I find them too be a lazy and manipulative plot device...."

I totally agree!

and yes there has been a book I flipped through to the back.
It was Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry . Something happened to one of the characters and I was really distraught over it so I skimmed through to see if I spotted their name close to the end. I know it was wicked of me, but I couldn't help it.

message 5: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4920 comments Not usually. Only to see what page the actual book I'm reading ends and what other stuff they've stuck behind it like book ads and previews.

I do admit to skimming books on occassion. If it's over detailed, the sex scenes are boring or if it's part of a series I've liked but for some reason that book isn't doing it for me. Then I might skim to make sure I don't miss anything important that I need to know for the next book. But that's usually only with romance series where the main couple is different in each book.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Only to see the page number count. Now that Goodreads does that for me when I adda book to "currently reading", I don't even flip to the back for that anymore. I don't even read the synopses of books. I feel they give too much away.

message 7: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Rachel wrote: "Only to see the page number count. Now that Goodreads does that for me when I adda book to "currently reading", I don't even flip to the back for that anymore. I don't even read the synopses of boo..."

Rachel I love that when I update the page I'm on it tells me how much (percentage wise) I've read.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Me too. It is an awesome little feature!

message 9: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) | 56 comments I only ever do it if I don't like the book. That way I can see how it ends without actually having to read the whole thing.

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (lizfichera) I only flip to the back when I don't plan to finish a book (which is extremely rare).

message 11: by Sans (new)

Sans niquae wrote: "I admit that I'm sometimes guilty of flipping to the back to find out whether a certain plotline has been resolved to my satisfaction or the fate of a character. Most times spoiling the story doesn..."

All. The. Time. The only times I (usually) don't are when I'm reading an ebook. But if the book is heading straight for Suck Town on the Suckage Express, I'll add a bookmark and use the "go to location" feature to see the ending.

message 12: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Sans wrote: "if the book is heading straight for Suck Town on the Suckage Express..."

LOL

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. *Ash* wrote: "I only ever do it if I don't like the book. That way I can see how it ends without actually having to read the whole thing."

Me too Ash, if I'm having a hard time with the book, boring or whatever, I'll flip to the back to see whether it's worth reading. Most of the times I'll finish it.

message 14: by AH (new)

AH | 68 comments I don't flip to the end. I'm too tempted to read a spoiler and that will ruin the book for me. If a book has a preview of the next book in the series, I won't even read that either because I then suffer from deja vu reading.

message 15: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments I love TV series spoilers but tend to avoid book spoilers. One exception was the Mortal Instruments series. I really felt compelled to see how one plot issue would be resolved before I could continue reading the books. (Any of you who've read them know what I'm talking about, lol.)

message 16: by AH (new)

AH | 68 comments OK, that was excusable - you wanted to avoid a squicky situation.

message 17: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments AH wrote: "OK, that was excusable - you wanted to avoid a squicky situation."

Yes, exactly! I felt tainted.

message 18: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Just call me Flipper. lol If I think I know the ending I'll sneak a peek or if I'm wondering, "does it get better because I'm ready to give up on this one", I will flip.

message 19: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments lol, Flipper. Do you squee like a dolphin too? :D (Did anyone else watch that TV show called Flipper?)

After all the no's, I was starting to feel like the only one who doesn't mind spoiling the book for herself. haha. Glad I'm not the only one, Sans & Lisarenee. :D

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 08, 2011 07:30AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Niquae, While I do squee it doesn't usually sound like a dolphin although I probably could do a good imitation of one.lol My sister and I used to wake up really early so we could watch Flipper. It was one of my favorite shows. If I watched it now I wonder if I'd find it quite so wonderful?

message 21: by AH (new)

AH | 68 comments I think Flipper was wonderful in context to what was on at the time on the 3 channels we had we back when, LOL.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Lol, I do not flip to the back. I just try and read to get to the end...

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jengray72) | 4 comments Only to see how long the book is!

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I used to be a flipper, but I'm not anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm always tempted and eager to know what will happen but when I flip to the end before finishing a book I get these little pangs of disappointment. It's not worth it for me. However there are those horrible books that I know I won't finish so I just flip to the end. No loss there.

message 25: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments I just had this conversation with someone yesterday. I am a total flipper. I have found that if I am reading my Nook, I don't flip and I think it's because it's way more work than it needs be :)

I would like to say it is because of the page numbers (again they are right there on the Nook) but I think once I see that last line right there I have no other choice but to read the last paragraph, then the page, etc.

message 26: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments "I would like to say it is because of the page numbers (again they are right there on the Nook) but I think once I see that last line right there I have no other choice but to read the last paragraph, then the page, etc. "

LOL, Rebecca!

You're right that it is more trouble than it might be worth to flip when reading an e-book although I confess to having done so for Colters' Daughter. Nonetheless, I did go back to finish reading the book properly. :)

I used to flip to the back of the book and just read the ending, and then go back to finish the book properly a LOT when I was younger. I did it a LOT less after the first couple of times when I was not able to finish the book after flipping. I didn't like that. lol. I think that's why I get a little annoyed when my sister flips to the back of the book and reads the ending. She has no problems not finishing the book, and that bothers me. Ah, well.

message 27: by Chelly (new)

Chelly (teamderek13) | 62 comments NEVER!!!! and I'm one of those people that get really offended when people do because I feel like it ruins the book and the author's intentions. A book is like a life in progress, you can't just skip over the middle and start at the end (much as we might want to sometimes). As readers, we are taking a journey as much as the main characters are, and like the MCs, we must grow and change with the book in a way that makes us deserving of the ending when we get there.

I do feel that the last few pages can make or break a book- for me, the last few lines of a book are one of the most memorable. I think most author put a lot of time and consideration into what they say there- what they will leave their audiences to think about and analyze. If we just skip ahead without journeying through the book as intended, I feel that the author's attentiveness was wasted.

Anyway, that's my overlong shpeel :)

message 28: by Salena (new)

Salena Chavez (schavez7728) Yes i will admit it. I sometimes looking in the back but I just can't help it! I just need to know what happens!

message 29: by Sharie (new)

Sharie | 72 comments I always flip to the back just to see how many chapters there are and sometimes just happen to read a few lines while doing that, but usually it's like the last few pages and there's nothing super revealing.

message 30: by Adva (new)

Adva (advak) I flip to check number of pages and chapter on occasion, but that's it. If I catch a glimpse of a line I shouldn't, it takes me a while to calm down and then it haunts me for the rest of the book. Blech.

I hate any kind of spoiler. I hate when people talk too much about a book I haven't read, or a movie I haven't seen, or a TV show I missed - even when it doesn't contain spoilers. I also hate lengthy book synopses: too much detail I should find out on my own. Love tag lines.

I can't even flip when I want to give up on a book, so I end up reading it to the end no matter what (hey, I'm curious). To this day there is only one book I haven't finished, and I'm hoping to keep it that way. I might, in the not-foreseeable-future, try it again. But they're working on a movie, so it'll probably calm my curiosity (it's The Hobbit, btw, and due to my lackluster experience with that, I don't even dream about trying LOTR).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rot & Ruin (other topics)