Romance In "The Old South" discussion

Authors > John Jakes

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 493 comments Mod
Not only did this author write these great books:
North and South by John Jakes North and South Love and War by John Jakes Love and War Heaven and Hell (#3) by John Jakes Heaven and Hell which spans the beginning to the end of the war, but also a T.V. mini-series was made as well as a movie.
Which did you prefer? The books or the movie?

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 147 comments Mod
Well now, you've just touched on something I've just read and watched. Karla and I reader North and South together, but she bailed on Love and War, which I only finished by skimming. From the Ammy reviews I decided to pass on reading Heaven and Hell. The love story between Orry and Madeline is more down played in the novel, and also very different. When they meet she's already on her way to get married to LaMott, among other things. LaMott's well deserved end is very different as well. In the second book, George and Orry are not generals and not involved in battles (well Orry kind of but I won't spoil).

The TV mini series was quite good, but very very different at times from the books. I just watched the last of it Heaven and Hell. It should never have been done. How Charles became *Charlie* was beyond me. It was seeing Ashton down on her luck in a New Mexico whorehouse, plus she had a most delightful comeuppance.

Hmm..very interesting, I watched the mini-series when it was on tv..but I cant remember much except the romance between Orry & Madeline...so since I cant remember too much which would be better? read the books? or watch the movie instead? What was the reason Karla bailed? and what made you"skim"? too much detail? not enough? just plain ol' boring?

message 4: by Misfit (new)

There really isn't much romance in the books to speak of so I wouldn't read them for that alone. Jakes really tries to put too much and too many people into it and that's what wore me down in the end. I think he just should have focused on a main core of characters. As much as I did like some of the secondary characters (especially Charles), things just got too side tracked. Elkanah Bent's character grew old, and he wasn't nearly as fun as he got to be in the mini series.

I find it very hard to read a book or series that you cant keep track of "who is who" because too many charaters are thrown in, I dont care if it dosent have alot of romance,just give me a good story with a balance of every thing else...know what I mean?

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "I find it very hard to read a book or series that you cant keep track of "who is who" because too many charaters are thrown in, I dont care if it dosent have alot of romance,just give me a good sto..."

Oh I agree. I love a big fat book, but if I'm constantly having to refresh from the family tree or something I start losing interest.

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla | 8 comments I bailed because the story was going in a dozen different directions and tangents. The mini series really did a monumental job of taking a couple of the plots and streamlining them. I've read huge chunksters with a core cast of characters and enjoyed them from beginning to end. It's when a story gets too sprawling that my eyes cross. The author's lost focus.

I hope his other series that we have arent like that..I heard these were better than the movie...but if Im going to read a "chunkster" it better keep me..or I would bail too...did you at least enjoy the 1st one? or was it about the same?

message 9: by Misfit (new)

I did like the first one, it did have more characters than needed but IIRC mainly focused on the two core characters of Orry and George.

Well ..maybe III give the 1st one a go..and let it end there..

message 11: by Betty (new)

Betty (tgbreviews) I've read all the books and seen all the miniseries. My introduction to North and South was through the miniseries... I watched both North & South Book 1 and North & South Book 2 before I ever read the books. (With the final book, it was just the opposite. I read the book first, and watched the miniseries after... I don't think it was filmed/aired until 1994.)

Anywhoo. I knew the books were bound to be different from the miniseries, so I was prepared for that when I bought North and South and Love and War. But I wasn't prepared for just *how* different the books were going to be. For example, the Elkanah Bent I knew from the miniseries was a Southerner, but in the book, he was from Ohio. (Which made a core part of him altogether different, and it was difficult to get used to that.) Another huge difference is that Cooper Main, Orry's older brother, didn't exist in the first two miniseries' at all... only to appear in the final miniseries. I can only imagine how confused people who only ever *watched* North and South on TV must have been when he showed up! If I hadn't read the books, I'd have driven myself crazy trying to figure out who in the world Cooper Main was supposed to be. LOL

As much as I enjoyed the books, honestly, I prefer the miniseries. That's where I first 'fell in love' with those characters, in the way they were presented there. But I only watch Books I and II. Book III doesn't fit the mold of the other two, with Cooper Main's inclusion, so I almost never watch that one.

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Betty, I agree the books are very very different and one the few times I'd say the TV adaption is better than the books. I had to skim a great deal to get through book two, and passed on book three. The film version of book three was bad enough.

Hmmmm..I myself saw the T.V. version so I think I would feel the same. Maybe III donate these instead and read his other series.

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Karla and I read N&S together last year. Good, but again very very different from the mini. She bailed on book two, and I had to skim to get to the end. It's another case of trying to put every damn factoid about the war in the book, and too many people. Should have cut way back. Books in the 80s were like that though.

Thanks Misfit,I have so many other series that need my attention and I can always watch the movie if I really want a "re-cap"

message 16: by Joeera (last edited Dec 02, 2012 12:44PM) (new)

Joeera I loved N&S when i saw it on T.V when it came on in the 80's . To Read the book not my cup of tea i probuly wouldn't be able to get into it but i would give it a try if i had it this is one of my dad's favorite authors i have a couple of this books. So true some times the T.V show or movies or mimi series are a lot better than the book

message 17: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Dec 02, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

I watch the mini series too when it was out! Loved it!! I havent tried the book yet, but Misfit and Karla I know did a buddy read of North & South and were not to thrilled?