The Sword and Laser discussion

futurestates online series

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (last edited Feb 05, 2011 07:16PM) (new)

Craig | 53 comments I'm currently on a prescreening committee for a major media award housed here at UGA. One of the entries caught my eye as something that the sword and laser crowd might be interested in.

It's called futurestates. About 10 or 11 independent film makers explore what America will be like in the near future (10,25,50 years). Each film is based on the vision of the filmmaker.

I've watched only the first one so far (Silver Sling - about the future of chemically accelerated surrogate births). It's good quality and well produced.

These could be good discussion fodder (I think that was their plan). You can google FUTURESTATES or go to futurestates.tv

Warning, from the titles, I think that most are on the pessimistic side.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Craig,

I just discovered the Futurestates series a few weeks ago, and made it through a few episodes. Things like this make me wish I'd stayed in academia so I could use them in a TV/Film-based SF-studies class. The episodes are short enough, I think, to be a good size for discussion-openers, and the ones I've seen have been accessible enough to show to viewers who aren't necessarily SF fans.

Did you end up watching the whole series? Any stand-out episodes you'd recommend?

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments The series looks interesting. Thank you.