Reading with Tequila Book Club discussion

Book/Movie Discussions > The Hunger Games: General Discussion *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) This is the place to discuss the book while revealing any spoilers you'd like to talk about.

If you'd like to discuss a specific topic relating to the book, please feel free to start a new thread. Remember to mark it as a SPOILER discussion.

TheGeekyBlogger I liked the first book in the series but it wasn't my favorite. However it does hold my favorite scene in the three books---the Romeo/Juliet ending to the games. I thought that was brilliantly written :)

What was your favorite scene?

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) The Hunger Games was my favorite in the series, although Catching Fire is a close second.

By far, my favorite scene in the book is Rue's death. I'm not usually for the mushy, flowery heartfelt stuff when it comes to dystopia, but I cried like a baby. Huge messy sobbing.

TheGeekyBlogger I cried like a baby too on Rue's scene. I was slobbering at Panera LOL

Catching Fire is my favorite! I haven't finished Mockingjay--made it halfway through. I will finish it but it just didn't hook me like the other 2 did :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) HG was my favorite too. I liked Mockingjay, but the epilogue killed me.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) Mockingjay just didn't have the emotion or the immediacy that the other two had. It was slower and it was way too easy to put down. And yeah, the epilogue kind of ruined Katniss in my eyes.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) In the first two books, things were still light even when they were heavy if that makes sense.

Mockingjay was just a downer the whole way through. I did put it down quite a bit until section 3, when it really picked up. I still liked the book well enough and gave it 4 stars, but missed some of the vibe from the earlier books.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) Yes, exactly. I gave it 4 instead of 5 too because, yeah, it didn't have the same feel.

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (The Wolf's Den) (thewolfsden) | 12 comments I think Mockingjay didn't have the same feel because Katniss wasn't the same person anymore. She was backed into an impossible situation and was handling it like the little girl she still was. In that respect, I thought it was realistic. The whole series, in fact, felt very realistic to me in terms of emotions.

Getting back to The Hunger Games, though, I think my least favorite aspect was Peeta. He's supposed to be a genius in one instance (knowing what to say/how to act with the commentator dude), but is absolutely clueless in others (not understanding Katniss's strategy). This continued to some extent through the series, but it started here.

What do you think?

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) I think Peeta was the only one who was truly in the "love triangle" and he let his personal feelings for Katniss color everything he did. Like Vicki said about Katniss being realistic, I thought Peeta was realistic because of that. Had he been really playing the games for himself as opposed to for Katniss, he probably would have seemed more intelligent throughout. He sacrificed smart thinking for romantic feelings, like teens do in real life all the time.

message 11: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 16 comments Jennifer wrote: "The Hunger Games was my favorite in the series, although Catching Fire is a close second.

By far, my favorite scene in the book is Rue's death. I'm not usually for the mushy, flowery heartfelt stu..."

That part made me cry too, which was pretty embarrasing since I was listening to the audiobook at a local park and people started staring at me.

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (The Wolf's Den) (thewolfsden) | 12 comments Geez, I bawled at that part! I had to pause the audiobook for a few minutes before I could start back in again. With her song and...;(

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) There is an autotune version of Rue's Lullaby on Youtube set to Yiruma's Kiss the Rain. It's very sweet.