Desperate BookJunkies discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is the spot to post your thoughts on our Feb read! Happy book!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished Part I, all the players are in place and it is time for the games to begin. Just a random coincidence that I just saw a segment on 60 minutes about the jaguars in Brazil - and now Manny has one as a pet (don't think that is recommended).

Lots of mystery going on, but lots of room for story, here. Anyone for predictions on who dies? I say most of the rangers, Professor Kouwe (sp?), Frank, Favre, Favre's girlfriend (hopefully by an anaconda, she is creepy), and Manny.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished part IV - Spoilers here!

I was very glad to make it to the part of this book where the story is moving along, even though the jungle was exciting, the night attacks were wearing thin. But now that the little group has reached the Ban-ali village, which reminds me of the villagein Avatar, my intrigue is again renewed. I don't know who the traitor is, but I hope it is Zane or Anna, but I am having doubts about Kouwe. I don't want it to be him, but . . .

And how cool was Tor-tor? I didn't understand why he was around, but the taming of the black jaguarette was pretty cool. A little like my black lab taming a great gray wolf, which I know she could do - who can resist that face?

Is anyone else reading this book, or is it just me?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished! I hope you liked our foray into the jungle. It was entertaining and a fast-paced read. I will comment more when I see that others have posted.

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Hey Jenn, thanks for jumping on getting this thread up. The month came to an end so quick and I totally forgot to get in here and set it up. I didn't hear anything back for Rollins but from what I learned on his website he is a very busy guy. He and a group of authors have been over seas visiting the troops.
Now as for Amazonia, what a wild ride. I thought each scene was fantastic and totally visual to me. And the bad guy and his creepy shrunken heads girl were well written. They reminded me of some of the bad characters from an Indiana Jones film. I would love to see what a film of this book would look like, especially the village from the end. I can actually imagine the action figures and play sets they could make...I know the big kids would have fun with this one :o)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "Hey Jenn, thanks for jumping on getting this thread up. The month came to an end so quick and I totally forgot to get in here and set it up. I didn't hear anything back for Rollins but from what I ..."

Didn't you think the village was kind of like that in Avatar? That's what it reminded me of. This book certainly was action-packed, every chapter more so than the last. I finished a while ago - this book made me miss Crichton all the more. I have been searching for my Crichton fix for a couple of years,and Rollins is getting closer with every book I read.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Yes Jenn, this village did have that feel but even cooler was the fact that it was on our own planet and set in our time. If you want some more Crichton type fixes try Fragment by Warren Fahy. Talk about right up there with Jurassic Park and they are working on a film adaption of this one as well as toys and games to boot. Also, I think you ladies in Desperate Book Junkies will just fall in love with the character Henders.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "Yes Jenn, this village did have that feel but even cooler was the fact that it was on our own planet and set in our time. If you want some more Crichton type fixes try Fragment by Warren Fahy. Talk..."

Is Henders a hottie? A Matt Damon type? Matthew McCaughnehy? Ooooh - Gerard Butler? Indiana Jones?

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Actually, Henders isn't really a hunk he is one of the creatures on the island and he is highly entertaining and I imagine he will be like the new Gizmo and there will be stuffed plushies of him everywhere once the movie comes out :o)