Romance Audiobooks discussion

Favorite Authors in Audio > Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments SEP is a universal favorite for fans of romance audiobooks.

You may not like them all but there is at least one you love, right?

Because it was my first, Lady Be Good remains my favorite, followed closely by Match Me if You Can and Natural Born Charmer.

Add your favorite SEP audiobook here in a comment.

And then start another topic for one/several of your Favorite Authors in Audio.

We'd all enjoy seeing each Favorite Author by name in a Topic heading so we can add their audiobook titles under their specific names.

message 2: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I've loved all of them, but there can be a problem if you listen to too many back to back, because there are certain tropes (the hip new word) that she uses and it can feel redundant. When writers have a strong voice it's often better to alternate them.

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I agree, and I find this even more true when it comes to listening to books back to back.

Anna Fields was immensely skilled but even she couldn't vary up the heroes/heroines voices enough for me to be able to do back to back listens of SEP. My brain will start to interchange characters with similar voices and it's distracting.

But with series books, it's a different story. In books where the same characters reappear each time (and the narrator stays the same) it's a different story. Then a listening glom is pure enjoyment. :)

message 4: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments I love to do a Chicago Stars listening glom, and my one complaint is when she gives Kevin a Texan accent in Match Me If You Can, when Kevin's book (This Heart of Mine) makes it clear he's from Michigan. Since THOM is the book right before Match Me, it really sticks out. Generally, though, when I get to the end of one I can hardly wait to start the next one - sorta like listening to your favorite album over and over and knowing what song comes next.

message 5: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments You guys are probably all going to smack me but I've not listened to any of Susan Elizabeth Phillips's books yet though my cousin has audio CDs that she was offering to lend me. Maybe this would be a good series to start for the Listening challenge.

message 6: by Brenda (last edited Feb 07, 2011 04:59PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Wow, no SEP ever? That doesn't seem possible Vic!

Have you listened to Anna Fields narrate anything else? If not your missing out with both the author and especially with the narrator.

You'll get plenty of suggestions for favorite SEP's when your ready to dive in.

If I was allowed only one rec, from her entire back list ...... Match Me If You Can.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Raising my hand slowly. I've never read or listened to SEP either. Not sure why aside from her stories just don't seem to call to me.

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments SCHMACK!

message 9: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments OUCH! *mumbling - didn't have to smack so hard*

So I'm thinking one of these would be good for recommended by... on challenge.

*stumbling away now, wondering if I'm concussed*

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Wow, that was more than a time out Vic! :)

I know Vic will fall for SEP and love Anna Fields, once she recovers ... because of the other books I've seen her mention.

Now Diane, what are your favorite contemporary romance novels? Surely we can match you up with something that might call to you, then Anna Fields narration will do the rest.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Ok, here goes (most I've only read). Christina Skye, some Tori Carrington, some Lori Foster, Catherine Coulter, Janet Evanovich, some Nora Roberts (I prefer JD Robb), Jayne Ann Krentz, some Linda Howard, some Karen Robards, some Jenny Crusie, Cherry Adair, Suzanne Brockmann. That's all that's coming to mind right now. :)

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Well Diane your certainly right in line to be the next big SEP fan with that list of authors.

You won't find the romantic suspense angle that is a draw for you with your preference for JD Robb, Howard and Brockmann.

Think more Crusie, Foster and Evanovich and you'll be in the right mind set. BUT IMO you'll get a deeper more involving story with SEP.

Type in a title search .... Match Me If You Can - Natural Born Charmer - Heaven Texas and see what your friends, the ones you generally agree with, have to say. I love how your friends reviews are the first ones to come up when you search out a book title.

Let us know the results if you take the plunge. :)

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments Here's the thing about SEP: one must suspend all beliefs, except for gravity, and go in knowing the premise is likely to be completely absurd. In fact, if you try to think it is real, you will be ranting within minutes about the injustices, the incredulity, the... you know. Relax and let SEP pull you into the craziness while she builds these wonderful, all-too-human characters and puts them first into inane circumstances and then surrounds them with friends and family and love so that the main characters, and usually a wonderful secondary couple, find love with each other in the end.

She builds wonderful families, writes witty dialogue and some hot love scenes, and everyone gets their HEA.

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Really excellent advice and points Melinda. You'll notice the three titles I recommended had the least "way out there" premises.

Sure, super rich, hunky football players, but no Circus or President of the US's widow in a Winnebago. LOL

I'm not trying to scare anybody :) Melinda is exactly right, you'll get some of the most satisfying, feel good stories ever if you give SEP and Anna Fields a go.

Personally I suspend believe in any of my romance reading/listening, how else could I have gotten addicted to PNR?? :))

message 15: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments The Circus (Kiss An Angel) and First Lady in a Winnebago (First Lady) are two of my very favorites! Those, and Lady Be Good, and....

message 16: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) SEP and Anna Fields - open your mind and one can hardly go wrong! I'm an intense fan of these books and love most with a passion!

message 17: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Okay, I've never listened/read her either, but you've almost talked me into it. I'm not big on contemps, especially silly or slapstick ones, and I've no interest in the spermstealer heroine. Which one do you think I should try?

message 18: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments the spermstealer heroine one.

(could not resist)

message 19: by MaryK (last edited Feb 08, 2011 10:01PM) (new)

MaryK | 168 comments ha ha :eyeroll:
;D *

Also, I usually need to read books before listening to them but not always. Do you think I could listen to SEP unpreped?

*edited for winky smiley ;D

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments My need to read before I listen revolves around the suspense in a book. I'm not patient enough to endure the tension with danger and intrigue.

Since SEP is not about suspense I could listen to her without a pre read

Melinda really described her style the best above, just fall into it ...

Although I joke about certain circumstances or set ups (they still qualify as favorites for me too) SEP pulls them together into fun, emotionally engaging stories ... and I've never thought her silly or slapstick.

message 21: by comfort (new)

comfort | 42 comments SEP is one of my favs, and sadly I think I have listened to all of her books (except the newest).

I started with Natural Born Charmer- as I didn't know it was part of the Chic Stars series, BUT they can be read as standalones.

I also loved Honey Moon ,Cried and cried but of course HEA as always.
Her women are feisty snarky humerous heroines and men are flawed alphas (of course).

Don't know if you know this but Anna Fields died a few years ago in a flood at her house. So sad, as she is my all time fav female narrator.

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments LOL, the spermstealer heroine sounds intriguing. Let me see if I can find an inexpensive copy of one of these books and I'll give it a try and report back.

message 23: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments technically, there are TWO books with spermstealer heroines - just start with It Had To Be You and read them in order. Of course, they can be read as standalone, but why would you?

(I'm often teasing, I hope you realize)

message 24: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Agree - start with It Has to Be You and continue (it's my favorite). DON'T worry when the hero's behavior looks a little questionable in the beginning. I've seen a number of people say they couldn't continue (and it is only a few pages in). Keep going - you'll love it I bet.

message 25: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments "(I'm often teasing, I hope you realize)"

Oh, yeah. ;) I just wish I could learn to do an eyeroll smiley. Or a cross-eyed smiley. That'd work too.

message 26: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Brenda wrote: "My need to read before I listen revolves around the suspense in a book. I'm not patient enough to endure the tension with danger and intrigue.

Since SEP is not about suspense I could listen to her without a pre read "

Hmm, interesting. I've been trying to determine what triggers my need to read first and that could be it. I'll have to keep that in mind.

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Going to bookstore today. Will see if I can find any of these in the bargain bin. :)

message 28: by Terra (new)

Terra (terralyne) | 28 comments I just saw this link on the AAR page. I saw SEP in a topic and couldn't resist joining. I hope you don't mind that I'm jumping right in! She is my absolute favorite author.
For those of you who haven't indulged in a SEP book narrated by Anna Fields...you are in for a fabulous ride! I have listened to all of them at least twice. My fave is This Heart of Mine.
I agree with the advice given to start with It Had to Be You and work your way through the Chic. Stars series. I laughed when I read what Lea said regarding the beginning...I say the exact same thing when I pass her books on to others. Don't be put off...keep going.
Anyway, I am tremendously saddened that I will no longer have the privilege of listening to Anna bring SEP's stories to life. Julia Gibson just didn't do it for me.

message 29: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Welcome to the group Terra and thanks for weighing in on SEP's audios! I'll definitely be listening to (at least) one of these for my 2011 Listening Challenge!

message 30: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Welcome Terra. I have a number of favorite SEP audios that battle for first but IHTBY always seems to come out on top. THOM is one of those battling for first place.

Have you tried Call Me Irresistible? The new narrator, Shannon Cochran sounds like a winner to me. Julia Gibson didn't work for me - at all. I have high hopes for Cochran and I think she is positioned to narrate SEP's future releases as well.

message 31: by Terra (new)

Terra (terralyne) | 28 comments I totally agree! I was actually shocked when I first heard CMI. Cochran reminded me of AF in so many ways. I was so happy with her performance.
If I have one complaint about SEP, it's that she just can't write fast enough! :)

message 32: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (magzzzz) | 25 comments I don't think anyone can really match the ability of Anna Fields to narrate. I miss her. SEP has an odd ability to make unlikeable characters th.at you care about, and she loves to put her heroines in the worst possible position... ever. Somehow she pulls it off. I look forward to everyone of her books

message 33: by MountainKat (new)

MountainKat | 27 comments I absolutely agree with Maggie! While on a SEP listening spree, I remember thinking that I wanted Anna Fields to narrate my life!

And the comment about putting the heroine in the worst position is also right on the mark. Yet, you will be on her side and cheering for her HEA! Don't forget the grovel scenes, SEP is a master at them! My favorites would have to be Bobby Tom's and Mat Jorik's ~sigh~

SEP can take you on an amazing ride! I have recommended her books to many, many people. It Had To Be You is a great place to start!

message 34: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I agree too, there is no one that can write a book they way SEP does. Funny, hot, lovable characters and situations ... totally unique.

This cracked me up ..... "I remember thinking that I wanted Anna Fields to narrate my life!" ...So true, we'd always have the right attitude and our husbands / significant others would always sound drool worthy. :)

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I just got It Had to be You from Audible. I'll give it a try when I've finished Breaking the Rules. :)

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Ok, I finished It Had to be You today. I didn't remember being warned about possible questionable behaviour on the hero's part and it almost made me stop listening. Something kept telling me to let it go and am I glad I did. I really hated to see this one end. I'm already feeling the need for a re-listen. :) I guess next on the list is Heaven, Texas?

message 37: by MountainKat (new)

MountainKat | 27 comments Oh yes, Bobby Tom... ~sigh~ That one is enjoyable! =)

message 38: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments Something kept telling me to let it go

Diane, listen to that little Something - with SEP, let it go and ride that funny wave to the end. There's something in every book that in real life might be appalling but in SEP's wacky world, somehow makes sense. I think I've listened to the entire series 5 or more times!

message 39: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments @ Diane - I love Heaven, Texas. Bobby Tom, is SO politically incorrect but I adore him! The football quiz is a hoot. And, there is a very sexy secondary romance between Bobby Tom's mom and a hot older man - I may have had to have a drink of water after listening to that part... :D

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Heaven, Texas it is when I get my next credit on Monday. :)

message 41: by Brittany B. (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:24PM) (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Ok. I've been waiting and hiding the truth from my friends in this group. I'm ready to ask for help... I don't like SEP. I've only listened to the first of the Stars series, but I've tried to read nobody's baby but mine, and I couldn't continue.
This is hard to admit when those of you I most admire LOVE her. I'm open minded, but my brain rejects these star books. Here's my problem: nearly all the books are about football players or their family members. It's absurd that every player on the team is going to fall in love with "the one", And there's only so much football I can take. I read It Had to Be You. I just looked up my audible ratings and saw that I gave it 5 stars. But I don't remember it all that fondly.

Yet I can't bring myself to read the book about the quarterback. (I think it's Nobody's Baby but Mine")
I know these books have to be good bc too many of you LOVE SEP to be wrong.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a book that isn't football related and yet still a good SEP book?
I want to like her. I am actually afraid all of the members on this thread will dismiss me. I read every post; you are all glowing with memories of her books. Maybe I don't like pure humor romance books. I have been thinking about my SEP problem since I joined this group. Any suggestions? What's wrong with me? :0

message 42: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Oh, absolutely. I like BREATHING ROOM a lot. AIN'T SHE SWEET. And I loved loved loved CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE, which has some golfers, not football players.
Same with LADY BE GOOD (also terrific).
Normally I despite football but SEP makes me like it. But if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. There are any number of beloved romance writers who don't work for me.

message 43: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Ok I'm looking those up. Thank you Krissie.

message 44: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kiss an Angel

message 45: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) There are a few I would warn you away from as well. As with any well known author, some don't measure up to others. But this is also coming from someone who thinks It Had to Be You and Nobody's Baby but Mine some of the best entertainment in romance audio.

message 46: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments Kiss An Angel is my favorite. I've read it and listened to it several times. I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't really enjoy Nobody's Baby But Mine all that much, and that's why I keep putting off This Heart of Mine because the heroines sound similar. I prefer SEP's really sweet, more naive heroines like Daisy and Gracie and Annabelle, and find some of the others more manipulative. But if you don't like her heroine in one book, you can find a completely different type in another book.

message 47: by MountainKat (new)

MountainKat | 27 comments Krissie wrote: "Oh, absolutely. I like BREATHING ROOM a lot. AIN'T SHE SWEET. And I loved loved loved CALL ME IRRESISTIBLE, which has some golfers, not football players.
Same with LADY BE GOOD (also terrific).
..."

I was going to suggest Breathing Room and Ain't She Sweet too! Both are favorites of mine and even though they have nothing to do with football - I love football! ; )

message 48: by ~KarenH~ (new)

~KarenH~ | 36 comments First Lady is also very good, and has one of the best grovel scenes ever - right up there with Bobby Tom in Heaven, Texas, although very different.

message 49: by MountainKat (new)

MountainKat | 27 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "First Lady is also very good, and has one of the best grovel scenes ever - right up there with Bobby Tom in Heaven, Texas, although very different."

Oh yes! Another really good book!

message 50: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I consider myself the odd one out when it comes to SEP books so it's nice to see the variety of favorites mentioned here.

My top 5 are:

Lady Be Good

Match Me If You Can - football tie in as the hero is a sports agent

Natural Born Charmer - football player but I love this book because of the heroine and the relationships she develops with several people in this story (Anna Fields definitely made this book for me with her take on the heroine) and the secondary romance is really good.

First Lady

Breathing Room

Do you know I've never listened to Kiss an Angel for some reason. I'll have to work it into my listening challenge this year.

« previous 1