Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Netgalley in portable form?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Does anyone read their netgalley books on a portable device? Which ones do you use? I have a very bulky laptop and want to get something smaller to read my galleys on. Maybe eventually I will get an iPad. I know you can use the Bluefire Reader app and read the galleys that way. I have been hearing rumors of an iPad 2 though so I think I will wait and see...

Anyway if you do use a portable device does it work well for the galleys? Thanks. :)

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I don't know of any portable device you can use it on since they took the kindle away. I have a ipod but can't figure out how to put them on there..is the Bluefire reader app on ipods? I would love to be able to put them on there.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) They didn't take the Kindle away. Amazon changed the way that documents are delivered to the device, and NetGalley has to change some things in order to support the new method. Some publishers already have Kindle support again, but not all of them do yet.

I use my Kindle to read the NetGalley books and it's convenient. I prefer e-ink for reading over putting the galleys on my computer or phone because reading on the backlit screen gives me migraines. NetGalley also works with the other ereaders.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Jenny wrote: "They didn't take the Kindle away. Amazon changed the way that documents are delivered to the device, and NetGalley has to change some things in order to support the new method. Some publishers alre..."

Cool. Thank you. I have a Kindle and have 2 of my galleys on it now. I guess with some of the devices you can just activate them with ADE and then drag and drop.

Stormi, You should be able to put them on your iPod Touch or iPhone: (I am guessing you have the touch?)
http://netgalley.com/about/faq/#faq2b
Go to the section What reading devices does netgalley support to read more. I guess you use Bluefire just like on the iPad. I hope that helps.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) Thanks!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Stormi wrote: "Thanks!"

You are welcome.

I have been checking my approved galleys and it looks like they don't have the Kindle button back yet :( I have multiple publishers too... :(

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) See that is why I thought they got rid of kindle cause the button was gone.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) I got an email about it when they had to start messing with it. It'll be coming back. None of the publishing houses I deal with have the Kindle button back yet either, though. NetGalley's twitter just says that some do have it re-enabled. Maybe they're testing it.

message 9: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Feb 05, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Jenny wrote: "I got an email about it when they had to start messing with it. It'll be coming back. None of the publishing houses I deal with have the Kindle button back yet either, though. NetGalley's twitter j..."

I hope they get it back soon. I am less likely to finish all the galleys I have now if I have to read them on my computer. I prefer to read off of e-ink. I am only reading them a bit at a time.

I have Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver in progress right now. :)

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) Okay has anyone did the bluefire reader for thier ipod touch, because I downloaded it on my ipod but can't figure out how to transfer then, I read the how to instuctions but I am really tech dumb and can't seem to figure out how to add them. :(

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments You can't download them directly through the app? My bf does that on the Kindle app. Just wondering. Or maybe you have to authorize the device with your Adobe account? I have no clue. Just some ideas. If I had it I would help you.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I tried the users guide ugh..I am going to figure this out..I think I almost got it..lol

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Stormi wrote: "I tried the users guide ugh..I am going to figure this out..I think I almost got it..lol"

I just downloaded this earlier tonight for my Cruz Reader. I haven't figured it out yet either!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Oh my... I just got everyone all confused! I hope you all figure it out. Is it bad I want to get another ereader just for my galleys?

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments this e-reader stuff is beyond me

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ottilie wrote: "this e-reader stuff is beyond me"

Ha! Me too. You have to download too many things! Awesomevegan it was not your fault - I was actually downloading it all on my own, and then I came here and saw you mentioned it too! Weird timing I guess :)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Heidi I wrote: "Ottilie wrote: "this e-reader stuff is beyond me"

Ha! Me too. You have to download too many things! Awesomevegan it was not your fault - I was actually downloading it all on my own, and then ..."

LOL! Usually you don't have to download that much. E-readers can be pretty easy. It is when you try to get fancy with things like netgalley and apps that it gets more complex.

message 19: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Feb 05, 2011 07:27PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Borders and Kindle were much easier to use! For Overdrive I had to download an Adobe reader and for other places like Kobo I can't even use them because they require an Adobe reader with flash, and I can't download flash on my Cruz (Net Galley uses the same Adobe reader with flash, but has other options at least!). Frustrating!

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) Well I swear I am following the instructions for bluefire and adobe but I still can't get them to load from adobe to my ipod's bluefire..so I am giving up for the night..LOL I am so not tech savy..makes me wonder what I will be like when I actually get a ereader..LOL

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments I am trying to compare and figure out the differences in the Sony Pocket PRS 300 and the 350. I can't confirm for sure if the 350 is compatible with NetGalley. It isn't on the list linked in the FAQ. I am planning on getting one of them but I don't want to decide until I know for sure.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Found out the Sony Pocket 350 DOES work with netgalley... Guess I got something new on my wishlist! :)

message 23: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Rudnickas | 1 comments Hi all - this is Lindsey, the Digital Concierge at NetGalley. Thanks so much for helping each other, and for using NetGalley! We have a brand new page that lists reading devices and how each works with NetGalley - check it out: http://www.netgalley.com/about/devices/ And of course you can always contact us at support@netgalley.com for help. Happy reading!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Lindsey wrote: "Hi all - this is Lindsey, the Digital Concierge at NetGalley. Thanks so much for helping each other, and for using NetGalley! We have a brand new page that lists reading devices and how each works ..."

Thanks for the link, Lindsey! I was going from the list linked in the FAQ. The Sony Pocket Edition PRS-350 wasn't listed but I found out from someone who has one that it works with NetGalley. I will look at that link now. I love the site! :)

message 25: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Feb 09, 2011 09:23AM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Thanks Lindsey! I already have the Aldiko downloaded to my Cruz, so I will give that a try :)

message 26: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 32 comments Wow so many things to learn about E-readers and NetGalley. How do you know if you are qualified to join NetGalley? It states "professional" readers,does that mean you have to get paid for your reviews? Just wondering.. Thanks.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Monica wrote: "Wow so many things to learn about E-readers and NetGalley. How do you know if you are qualified to join NetGalley? It states "professional" readers,does that mean you have to get paid for your re..."

I just joined last week and I am a nobody (awwww). I know they like bloggers and reviewers to join, but I am neither.

message 28: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I joined too, but was denied because I didn't put enough info on my profile.

They say that if you are going to be approved for a book you need to have a minimum reviews under your belt at sites like Goodreads. Whether they enforce that or not, I'm not sure.

message 29: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd | 415 comments I need to look into this sometime, but I probably shouldn't. My limited time is limited enough as it is.

Too many books...too little time.

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 32 comments Thanks HeidiI. I will try to check it out later. It sounds like something I might enjoy. I do have a blog but don't update it very often. I seem to forget about it then I all of a sudden remember and update it. (which I need to do)

Oh and you are not a nobody!!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments I have a blog and a YouTube channel that I made JUST for book reviews/book topics. I think I may have had 1 or 2 up when I was accepted for NetGalley. I don't review much here on Goodreads. I would LOVE to get partnered with YouTube and get money for reviews but as of now I don't but they still approved me probably because of my blog and vlog and they want buzz for the books. If anyone wants to see what my blog/vlog looks like to get an idea of what they will accept I am at:
http://jenreadsya.blogspot.com/
AND
http://www.youtube.com/user/JenReads

Also be sure to provide the links in your profile if you have a vlog or blog and post links to your blog post for the book in your submitted reviews. It improves the chances that you will get accepted for more galleys from that publisher. :) I hope that helps!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Stormi wrote: "Well I swear I am following the instructions for bluefire and adobe but I still can't get them to load from adobe to my ipod's bluefire..so I am giving up for the night..LOL I am so not tech savy...."

Oh I forgot to ask you... did you figure it all out? If not click the link Lindsey from NetGalley posted! :)

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) No, but I am going to check out Lindsey's link lol I am just so darn tech dumb its pittiful..LOL

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Stormi wrote: "No, but I am going to check out Lindsey's link lol I am just so darn tech dumb its pittiful..LOL"

Good luck! I wish I could help out more!

message 35: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Feb 09, 2011 01:28PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Wendy F wrote: "I joined too, but was denied because I didn't put enough info on my profile.

They say that if you are going to be approved for a book you need to have a minimum reviews under your belt at site..."

Weird! I didn't get asked anything about anything. I just joined without a problem. Hmmmm. I did mention in my profile that I am on GR all the time and if I like your book I will force everyone I know to read it, because if you haven't noticed I am a little pushy. Perhaps that helped. I haven't gotten too many requested books (likely because I am blogless)- I've just gotten the ones that are readily available to everyone.

Lloyd I don't know why I even joined now, because I don't have time to read any of the books I already have! I am just all about free stuff and I think it backfired this time.

message 36: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Feb 09, 2011 02:00PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Heidi I wrote: "Wendy F wrote: "I joined too, but was denied because I didn't put enough info on my profile.

They say that if you are going to be approved for a book you need to have a minimum reviews under y..."

I feel your pain about not having enough time to read the galleys... I have 8 I think. I read one graphic novel and have 1 book in progress. As you can see above I am planning to get a Sony Pocket for my NetGalleys. I will never read them fast enough off of a computer screen! I think it would be worth it though. I think March will have to be galley month perhaps LOL!

message 37: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Make sure you try out the pocket before you buy it. I have that and a Kindle and the pockets page turns are so slow :( But I probably wouldn't know that if I didn't have another reader to compare it to.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Peep wrote: "Make sure you try out the pocket before you buy it. I have that and a Kindle and the pockets page turns are so slow :( But I probably wouldn't know that if I didn't have another reader to compare i..."

Thanks. I have a Kindle 1. I don't know how the page turns compare with the K1. I tried one out briefly in a store and they didn't seem slow to me. I think I will be happy with it if I get one. I really need something for my galleys! I am justifying buying a second reader to read free review copies of books on. I may have a problem... LOL! I am trying to get more and more into reviewing books and I don't know how to get into it more professionally unless I get partnered on YouTube or blog advertising or something.

message 39: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I think the Nook is on sale today for $80 for a refurbished one. Unless it was yesterday. As for the Pocket, you'd probably get used to the differences after a while. And I don't think it's strange to want more than one ereader. I've had to talk myself out of it several times.

message 40: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 24 comments Awesomevegan wrote: "Peep wrote: "Make sure you try out the pocket before you buy it. I have that and a Kindle and the pockets page turns are so slow :( But I probably wouldn't know that if I didn't have another reader..."

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to cause an argument but if you are blogging/making video reviews for money I think you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I have a blog and would never even think about trying to make money from it. To me blogging and writing reviews is about getting people to read the books, not think about my back pocket. All Netgalley ask is for you to review the book, they don't care where you review it. Alot of people I know just do the reviews on here.

Anyway on subject I have one of the first eReader's Sony brought out and I can use the galleys fine on it. The only problem I have is the 60 day limit. I find I try to put to many books on it at a time and then run out time, but you can easily re download the book.

message 41: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Feb 09, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Natasha wrote: "Awesomevegan wrote: "Peep wrote: "Make sure you try out the pocket before you buy it. I have that and a Kindle and the pockets page turns are so slow :( But I probably wouldn't know that if I didn'..."

I am an unemployed, in debt college graduate. My family is hurting for money and we have had to make a lot of cuts to things like cell phone bills and such. I haven't been able to find a job in this economy so if I could make a bit of spare change from advertising on my book reviews I would jump at the opportunity. I am not doing it to make money but if I could make money doing something I loved it would thrill me to tears. I have also seriously injured myself recently and am in a lot of pain so until I recover trying to get a "real job" is out of the question.

Also this is a topic about NetGalley. They are looking for people who are serious reviewers that read A LOT of books and review books all the time. Making videos and writing reviews takes time and effort and I see no shame in getting some money for the time you put into filming, editing etc.

I appreciate your help about the Sony and you have a right to an opinion but I have good intentions. If I can find a way to make a hobby (reading and reviewing) help pay for my college debt and maybe help with my book buying I will take it.

BTW: I have been making non-book related videos for years on YouTube and haven't gotten partnered but I still do them. I just like making videos and I love reading so I have decided to make book videos. It isn't about money.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Peep wrote: "I think the Nook is on sale today for $80 for a refurbished one. Unless it was yesterday. As for the Pocket, you'd probably get used to the differences after a while. And I don't think it's strange..."

Thanks. I am glad I am not totally insane.

message 43: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 24 comments Awesomevegan wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Awesomevegan wrote: "Peep wrote: "Make sure you try out the pocket before you buy it. I have that and a Kindle and the pockets page turns are so slow :( But I probably wouldn't know..."

I actually used to work in Internet advertising and web design so I'll give you a few pointers. In order to make any money at all you need to be having near enough 1000 views a day out of that thousand you need to get atleast half to click the adverts. Even then you will only make about 50 pence a day. I was told and had some training in what advertisers look for in a website or blog. You will need your own domain and web hosting plus a better blog tool. In my experience wordpress is a lot more customisable and professional than blogger. For example the company I worked for wouldn't even think about advertising on a blog, they make hardly any money. Honestly online advertising on a blog isn't going to make a lot of money, google have upped what you need to use their adscene it seems now they are asking for a lot of content and pages.

Don't get me wrong there are some blogs out there that do advertise but even those wont be making anything near the cost of a book. You'll be lucky to come out with maybe a couple of pound a month.

Also in my past post I didn't mean to come across bitchy I was really tires when I posted. Good luck if you decide to do it though.2

message 44: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (closer2coma86) | 83 comments I just got an email from netgalley telling me the Kindle option will be back and running in March! Yay!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Natasha wrote: "Awesomevegan wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Awesomevegan wrote: "Peep wrote: "Make sure you try out the pocket before you buy it. I have that and a Kindle and the pockets page turns are so slow :( But I p..."

I know if I made any money at all it would be literally pennies. I am a new blogger/vlogger (for books anyway) so making money is the last thing on my mind anyway. I know I would have to get thousands of views for it to add up to anything. I am focussed mainly on YouTube for my reviews because there is a nice book community there and I like to share my opinions on books with others. I am just going to continue to review the books I read and slowly gain subscribers. If the opportunity to partner ever presents itself I will go for it. If not that is fine too. I just want a lot of people to see my videos so I can have people to chat books with. That is the main idea. I just love to share what I read with others and watch their reviews too. It is also a dangerous hobby... it makes the TBR list grow by the dozens any time I watch a lot of hauls, reviews or collection/shelf tour videos...

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments I got my NetGalley books on my new Sony Pocket Reader. Works great! :) I am happy I figured it all out. Now to read a bit more of Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver before bed.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Delirium (other topics)