Ms. Orner's Humanities 10 A/F discussion

Metacognitive log #3 - Due Mon 2/7 by midnight!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
I hope everyone is outside enjoying this beautiful Saturday! I have to say that I am really enjoying reading your posts on Goodreads and look forward to reading this week’s. Oh, and I will be commenting on all of your log #2, so please look out for a notification about that. Finally, please, please, please be sure to meet the 250-word requirement.

Below are the questions I’d like you to respond to for Log #3:

1. What is the title/author of the book you are reading (please say if this is the same book you wrote about before)? What page are you on?
2. Choose one “golden line” that stands out to you and explain why you chose it. It could be a line that you really connected with, one you thought was especially revealing of a character, or one that was just beautifully written.
3. Would you recommend this book? Why or why not?

I am still reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley and am on p. 159. This will most likely be my last time posting about this book, as I am close to finishing it. Of course, this is the kind of book that you never really finish reading as long as you are using it as a reference, and I imagine that I will be returning to it often in the weeks and months to come. I have gotten through the most useful part of the book, which contains a list of solutions to choose from and use to develop a personal sleep plan. Now comes the “fun” part where I get to test out the solutions and – hopefully – start seeing some results. For you all, that could mean a brighter-eyed, more with-it Ms. Orner!

The golden line I chose is, “Remember you are making a change. It may take a while for this to work, but it sure beats spending another year or more in a sleep deprived state!” (148). I chose this line because I need to remind myself that I need stay patient during this process of sleep training and that the time and I energy I devote to this process will be worth it. Like most people, I have a tendency to get frustrated when I don’t see results right away. However, I am committed to making these changes happen!

I would definitely recommend this book to others. In fact, I have already started telling some of my other friends who have babies about it. This recommendation may be premature since I haven’t actually begun my sleep plan. However, I am confident that many of the techniques will lead to a better night’s sleep for everyone in my family, even if Emmie isn’t sleeping 12 hours straight through the night by the end of it all.

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie | 7 comments I'm still reading Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I'm currently on page 82 and still really liking this book. I haven't been reading this book outside of school because I can never find the time to on the weekend or during the week with all the other homework I have to do. I also forget to read sometimes and I would rather read it slowly because as much as I like this book, I would hate to see it end.

The line that really stood out and touched me was "I won't travel, never earn money, never drive, never fall in love or leave home or get my own house. This line really change the mood from doing everything you can on your bucket list before you die, to revealing the unfortunate and sad truth that you're life is going to end very shortly. This made me feel very sympathetic for Tessa, the main character, because she is just 16 years old, just like me, and she knows she's going to die at such a young age.

I would recommend this book to others because of its unfortunate and twisted plot. It's really touching and would especially appeal to teenaged girls like me. This book has funny, romantic, and really sad scenes. The mood of the book is constantly changing and I think this keeps the reader interested and makes it easier to follow along.

message 3: by Tyara (new)

Tyara Walker | 6 comments I had read the same book, Nasty by Dr. XyZ, the whole time. I actually finished my book about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It was over 300 pages long! But it was well worth it and it was absolutely a great book and I cannot wait until Nasty 2 comes out, because the author of my book is a great, detailed writer.

The “golden line” that standed out most to me was spoken by one of the main character
S named Nicola. The line was: “I came to realize that just because I’m hurting inside, doesn’t mean others need to live and suffer from my pain.” I felt a connection with this “golden line” because I’ve noticed, that if someone is in a bad mood, they tend to take it out on others, or it will automatically have a bad affect on people around them. Also, if someone is in a bad or sad mood, they might do things (both emotionally and/or physically), that can hurt the ones they love. In my book, Nicola does a few things that hurts people very badly, both emotionally and physically. Towards the end, this is when she states that line and comes to realizations.

I would definitely recommend this book to people who love reading about real life problems people face, who love drama, and who love just a very intense and detailed book. I would also recommend this book if you love reading books that make keep your attention and make you want to never stop reading until the very last page. Though, I would only recommend this book to young adults that can be mature and handle harsh, intense, and some gross detail.

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh | 5 comments I am still reading "The Boy in The Striped Pajamas". In response to a comment that you posted there is both a movie and a book about the same thing. I am currently on the last 30 minutes of the audio book.
One "golden line" that stood out for me is when the two boys where talking and the boy that was impressed what every hungry and said I hate to ask you this but do have any food on you and the other boy responded by saying I am sorry I ate all my food before I got here I only brought a sandwich and a bar of chocolate. That line stud out to me because it showed how little the boy knew about what it was like to get looked up inside the concentration camps.
Another line that stood out to me was when Bruno asked his dad why all the people where locked up inside the camp and why they all looked the same. The commanders answer was, they are not human they are Jews; they are there to keep them separate and to keep us safe from them.
I would recommend the book if you have good comprehension because it is a great book, but it jumps between the pressing and the past. It is also a great book when you are learning about World War II and the kinder transport.

message 5: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Dito (izzydito) | 6 comments Im reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Im on page 27, and so far so good. Im excited to get into this book, it seems like a great book but the beginning is a little bit too slow for me so i'm hoping it will speed up sometime very soon.

One "golden line" that really stood out to me is when the main character is describing her sister," I am never sure how deaf she is. She always hears the ring of the pay phone in the hall but she may pick up its vibration in her slipper heels. She is also blind. Her thick, pink plastic glasses project huge filmy eyes. The blurred red spurts across her whites like a bad egg". I choose this excerpt of the book because I really liked how she described her sister and her disabilities. It was enough that I had an image in my head while reading it.

I'm not a hundred percent sure I would recommend this book because I haven't gotten far enough into this book to really have an opinion about it. It's a really good book so far, but who knows,maybe it won't be as good as it seems.

message 6: by Sirague (new)

Sirague | 6 comments Hello, I am currently and still reading The Exception to the Rulers by Amy Goodman and i think i am on page 78 but i am not sure. I am really getting into this book and i am not finding myself bored after the 1st 20 pages. Although i do get confused sometimes due to all the numbers(money, accounts, dates etc.) and the names of the politicians that all sound the sameI chose this line because it is in the start of the book and already there is a level of severity to the book. "A group of soldiers surrounded me. They started to shake my microphone in my face as if to say, This is what we don't want. Then they slammed me to the ground with their rifle butts and started to kick me with their boots. I gasped for breath. Allan threw himself on top of me to protect me from further injury.(17)" I chose this line because it shows how crazy the Indonesian Army is as well as the intensity of the problems in Indonesia and what Journalists go through when they try to the story. This book is incredibly interesting if you are in to books that have to do with corrupt politicians and the nations dirty little secrets that they try to hide from the public view as well as provide alternate views and opinions about national disasters such as 9/11. If you are into books of this similar nature i would advise you to check it out. But if you are not into keeping track of who is who because there are alot of references to previous pages then i wouldn't suggest it.

message 7: by Konrad (new)

Konrad Kubicki | 6 comments I am still reading the book The Deep by one of my favorite authors Peter Benchley. It is still very good and I am enjoying it. It seems the main characters are now trapped in a drug money war in the Bermuta and cannot flee without getting killed. It is exciting guessing what will happen next. My stamina is doing well and keeping in pace, and I am on page 103.

My "Golden line" from the book that really stood out to me was "For the first year after her graduation from college, she had shared an apartment with a friend, but now she lived alone. She described herself as a private person, or she supposed selfish to be fitting as well." I liked this line and it stood out to me because I see myself to be something like her when I move out of my parents house. I would love to live alone, that seems to be like paradise to me, because I would have the whole space to myself, I guess I can relate to her because I am a bit selfish and greedy in my own ways.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure and doesn't mind if the subjects throughout the book get a bit complicated. It is a very good book so far, and I do recommend it.

message 8: by Ray (new)

Ray Mullin | 5 comments I am still reading Lady Sings the Blues, by Billy Holiday and William Dufty. Of this very here current moment, I am on page 127 of the 190 or so number of pages. I still enjoy this book a lot, As I wrote before, It’s very reminiscent of The Catcher in the Rye, in the sense of the humorous writing style.
There are a lot of great lines in the book, but one that really stuck out the most was probably from when she quoted one of her self-written songs, “God bless the child that’s got his own”. I find this phrase significant because it’s saying that to be independent and strong is a very powerful and positive thing. This strongly relates to Billie Holiday’s own experience in life, throughout the book she talks about how hard It was growing up and how she had to frequently work doing some difficult job to stay alive. This especially speaks to me because I myself am (and fairly like to be) independent, being a single child to a single mother. I also consistently try to keep myself together. In fact, the same phrase from Billie Holiday is referenced in a Tupac song where he talks about staying strong.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who at all enjoyed the humor in The Catcher in the Rye, this book is in some parts very similar but easier to understand. I would also recommend the book to anyone who appreciates Billie Holiday.

message 9: by maria (new)

maria meza (mmeza) | 6 comments Im currently still reading the same book Anne Frank by Anne Frank.Im on page 132, Im almost done with it I think im not really sure yet, but besides that Im really enjoying this book because it talks about the war with the nazis and is really interesting because we are learnig about this topic in class.

My "Golden Line" from my book would be "When shots ring out in the dark of the night,The door creaks open and into sight come a hanky, a pillow, a figure in white..." I liked this line because it shows how she sees things when the gun shoots are been shot and also I thing she is scare because before this line it talks about how she is going to her fathers room with a handkerchief and a pillow and she does this really quite because she might be in fear. If I was in her place I would feel fear too and also start worried about what's going to happend next. This is one of my favorites lines so far in the book.

I would recommend this book just because its a diary of a young girl that actually went trough this and all her life its been expressed on this book. Another thing, if you like books/diaries that talk about the life of young people on war and also if you wanna know more about the past or history of people and places from war ect, you should read this book.I really recommened it.

message 10: by Karina (new)

Karina Gutierrez | 3 comments I am still reading the book Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez. I really am enjoying this book, I feel like Im understanding it much more then the first time I ever read it. Sometimes I get stuck trying to figure out what the author is trying to say and there are some words that I don't know the meaning of wich makes it hard for me to understand, but I will continue to keep reading because it's starting to get interesting. Im currently on page 39 and the r
eason for that is because I've been bussy catching up with my work.
The "golden line" that stood out for me is "Mama quietly got our things and walked away, but I know frustiation and anger bristled within her because she was unable to talk,and when she did no one would lisen."(19)This line stood out to me because this is exactly how my mom feels everytime someone talks to her in English, she don't understand what they saying to her and it makes me feel bad/sad. Also it has a deeper meaning to me well at least the part that say's "she was unable to talk, and when she did no one would lisen" I can connect to this because this is how I often feel. There has been times were I wanted to tell someone the way I was feeling but they just wouldnt pay any attention to me.
I would recommend this book, epecially to teenagers who like reading book's about gangs. It's a really sad book but has a deep meaning to it.

message 11: by Monisha (new)

Monisha (motoomuch) | 4 comments i'am still reading Doing It by Melvin Burgess and currently on page 232. i am almost done with this book and im so happy that i am. There hasen't been any lines that stand out to me this whole book. The book isnt really a book to reflect upon. i really wouldn't recommend this book to anyone unless you have that weird kind of humor.its time for me to get a new book asap.

message 12: by Czer (new)

Czer | 6 comments The book I jsut finished todat was the leadership challenge (exemplary leaders) by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z.Posner. Yes, it is the same book as the last post i posted, but Im finally done yay! haha

The Golden line I have is taking straight from the book, which is Martin Luther King's speech, "when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!"
I really love this speech as you can tell by now since I wrote about his speech twice now. For one thing i chose this speech was because it gives me more clear images of how life back in the day were and gives mroe context to the things we have been learning about. This connects to slavery, Discrimination,and racism. This also helped me understand how was the life in the gutter and how many tried hard to change their life styles, so that refers back to the Holocaust. Another thing that it helped me picture was the video we saw on thursday I believe, class divided. And personally this actually motivates me to challenge myself if I am capable of writing an on going speech for the election next year because I dont want the student body to be all down I rather want them to be loud and wild!

Finally, yes, extremely, absolutely recommend this book because it is one of its own and none of the books i've read before can compare. This book have really made my leadership skills improve to a new level and helped me learn how not to stay in the same place for to long because real leaders try new things without turning back (this was also stated in the book).

message 13: by Juan (new)

Juan Ramirez | 6 comments The book that i am reading is Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. I am on page 50. This is still the same book that i was reading a while ago.
There was a line that said "don't worry, darling, it all works out in the end. you're going to love it here." I really liked it b/c it makes me think a lot on how the feeling of being dead is. I would really recommend this book b/c it is very good and it makes you remember the whole book as if it was a movie b/c its so interesting.

message 14: by Angel (new)

Angel Menjivar | 4 comments The title of the book that I'm reading is "The rise and of Lady Gaga Poker Face" and the page I am on is 59.
The golden line that i have chosen is "I hate the truth. i hate the truth so much I prefer a giant dose of bullshit any day over the truth." -Lady Gaga. the reason i chose this line is because it made me think alot and it kind of inspiers me in many different ways.
yes,i would recmende this book because it really intersting and life changing in ways.

message 15: by /victoria (new)

/victoria | 4 comments Im still reading "the devil wears prada" im on page 10 and so far.
i don't have a golden line right now because its just the beginning of the book so far. i would recommend this book if people like fashion etc...

message 16: by Dcakes101 (new)

Dcakes101 | 6 comments I am reading Ghetto Superstar by Nikki Turner.I am currently on page.78 in my book.”I will do anything to keep you by my side”,was the golden line I chose.I chose this line because I met a lot to me.It means something to me because when you find that one person you love or want to keep in your life you will go through any and everything to keep them with you.No matter or how hard it may be you will go through it for that person.I would recommand this book to someone would want to know how hard it is to come out of the hood and become a superstar

message 17: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne Cheshewalla (cheyennecheshewalla) | 6 comments So,i am reading another book, Warrior's Don't Cry by Melba Beal.It's a really good non-fiction book about the "Little Rock Nine" who were the first nine African-American students to intergrate a Arkansas high school in 1960's.The story is written from the point of view from her diary which she recorded her thoughts in everyday afterschool.Melba is the main character and its really quite sad the taunting she had to face.Overall i am really enjoying this book a lot.

message 18: by Ms. Orner (new)

Annie wrote: "I'm still reading Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I'm currently on page 82 and still really liking this book. I haven't been reading this book outside of school because I can never find the time to ..."

A thoughtful and well-written response, Annie. I totally understand what you mean about being torn about finishing this book. It will be like saying goodbye to good friends. 10/10

message 19: by Ms. Orner (new)

Tyara wrote: "I had read the same book, Nasty by Dr. XyZ, the whole time. I actually finished my book about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It was over 300 pages long! But it was well worth it and it was absolutely a great boo..."

Tyara - "Gross detail?" I don't want to know... Thank you for a thoughtful and articulate response, and congratulations on finishing this book. I hope the wait for the next one isn't too long. 10/10

message 20: by Ms. Orner (new)

Josh wrote: "I am still reading "The Boy in The Striped Pajamas". In response to a comment that you posted there is both a movie and a book about the same thing. I am currently on the last 30 minutes of the aud..."

Josh - The second golden line you chose clearly connects to the theme of "dehumanization" from Night. This sounds like a very powerful and moving book. Please make sure to have someone help you proofread before publishing. 9/10

message 21: by Ms. Orner (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:34AM) (new)

Izzy wrote: "Im reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Im on page 27, and so far so good. Im excited to get into this book, it seems like a great book but the beginning is a little bit too slow for me so i'm hopi..."

Izzy - I love the golden line you chose - what an incredible use of sensory detail to portray that character! I can clearly see her in my mind's eye, too. I agree that the beginning of this book is a bit slow, but hang in there, I promise you it will pick up and then (hopefully) you won't be able to put it down! Please make sure you are honoring the 250 word minimum. 9/10

message 22: by Ms. Orner (new)

Sirague wrote: "Hello, I am currently and still reading The Exception to the Rulers by Amy Goodman and i think i am on page 78 but i am not sure. I am really getting into this book and i am not finding myself bore..."

Hello, Sirague! This book sounds fascinating, although very dense. If I were reading this I would have to keep a running log of all the names/locations so my brain wouldn't implode. Please make sure you are recording where you finish in your log so that you know exactly where you leave off. Also, please be sure to capitalize all proper nouns. 9/10

message 23: by Ms. Orner (new)

Konrad wrote: "I am still reading the book The Deep by one of my favorite authors Peter Benchley. It is still very good and I am enjoying it. It seems the main characters are now trapped in a drug money war in th..."

Konrad - I highly recommend living alone, at least once - if you can afford it. It is an experience that I was very grateful to have, even if it only lasted a short time. You are a little shy of the 250 word minimum, but, overall, have a thoughtful response to the prompt. 9/10

message 24: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ray wrote: "I am still reading Lady Sings the Blues, by Billy Holiday and William Dufty. Of this very here current moment, I am on page 127 of the 190 or so number of pages. I still enjoy this book a lot, As I..."

Ray - You make some thoughtful connections to the golden line you chose. I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying the book. Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing. 9/10

message 25: by Ms. Orner (new)

maria wrote: "Im currently still reading the same book Anne Frank by Anne Frank.Im on page 132, Im almost done with it I think im not really sure yet, but besides that Im really enjoying this book because it tal..."

Maria - Clear and persuasive recommendation! The golden line you chose is a powerful one. Please make sure to proofread or have someone help you proofread your posts before publishing. 9/10

message 26: by Ms. Orner (new)

Karina wrote: "I am still reading the book Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez. I really am enjoying this book, I feel like Im understanding it much more then the first time I ever read it. Sometimes I get stuck ..."

Karina - Very powerful connections to your golden lines. I appreciate the honesty of your personal connections. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your book more now. Please make sure to proofread all of your posts before publishing. 9/10

message 27: by Ms. Orner (new)

Monisha wrote: "i'am still reading Doing It by Melvin Burgess and currently on page 232. i am almost done with this book and im so happy that i am. There hasen't been any lines that stand out to me this whole book..."

Monisha - Yikes! Run - don't walk - away from this book! Good for you for sticking it out, but I hope you find a more enjoyable book next time. Life is too short to read free choice books you dislike. Please make sure you honor the 250 word minimum and proofread before you post. 7/10

message 28: by Ms. Orner (new)

Cesar wrote: "The book I jsut finished todat was the leadership challenge (exemplary leaders) by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z.Posner. Yes, it is the same book as the last post i posted, but Im finally done yay! h..."

Cesar - It sounds like reading this book was an amazing experience for you! Truly you were moved and inspired by what you read, which is the mark of any excellent book. I look forward to hearing your speech next year! Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing. 9/10

message 29: by Ms. Orner (new)

Austin wrote: "I am still reading the same book, World of Warcraft: The Shattering by Christie Golden. I am current on page 99 in my book. The “golden line” from my book so far that really shows the whole point o..."

Austin - I'll be the first to admit that I would not expect words like "compassionate" and "unbiased truth" to be used to describe a book based on a video game. It sounds like this book has a much deeper message than one might expect from this genre. 10/10

message 30: by Ms. Orner (new)

Juan wrote: "The book that i am reading is Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. I am on page 50. This is still the same book that i was reading a while ago.
There was a line that said "don't worry, darling, it all wo..."

Juan - I'm glad to hear that this book is so enjoyable so far. Please make sure to honor the 250 word minimum and proofread before posting (for example, "b/c" should be written out). 7/10

message 31: by Ms. Orner (new)

Angel wrote: "The title of the book that I'm reading is "The rise and of Lady Gaga Poker Face" and the page I am on is 59.
The golden line that i have chosen is "I hate the truth. i hate the truth so much I pref..."

Angel - Your quote is so provocative! I'd like to hear more about why you chose it - what it means to you. Please make sure to honor the 250 words minimum and proofread before posting. 7/10

message 32: by Ms. Orner (new)

/victoria wrote: "Im still reading "the devil wears prada" im on page 10 and so far.
i don't have a golden line right now because its just the beginning of the book so far. i would recommend this book if people lik..."

Victoria - Even though you are only on p. 10, are you sure there isn't anything you've read that stands out so far? Please make sure to honor the 250 word minimum and proofread - or have someone help you proofread - your posts before publishing. 6/10

message 33: by Ms. Orner (last edited Feb 14, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

Dcakes101 wrote: "I am reading Ghetto Superstar by Nikki Turner.I am currently on page.78 in my book.”I will do anything to keep you by my side”,was the golden line I chose.I chose this line because I met a lot to m..."

De Ja - Thank you for such a clear explanation for why you chose your quote. Please honor the 250 word minimum and proofread - or ask someone to help you proofread - your posts before you publish them. 7/10

message 34: by Ms. Orner (new)

Cheyenne wrote: "So,i am reading another book, Warrior's Don't Cry by Melba Beal.It's a really good non-fiction book about the "Little Rock Nine" who were the first nine African-American students to intergrate a Ar..."

Cheyenne - This sounds like a really interesting topic. I'd love to hear one of the golden lines from this book and whether or not you would recommend it. 7/10