*~* <3 JUDGE A BOOK YOUNG ADULT AND OTHER<3 *~* discussion

top 5 favorite

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maylee (new)

Maylee (mayleejo) | 1174 comments Mod
Okay what is your top 5 favorite books of all time??
And why are they?
1. Is it based on a movie
2. Is it just one you can read over and over
3 or is it because the cover is just so pretty lol
4. None of the above and there's another reason

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Mar 04, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Lauren I guess I'll go first. (:

I never read any books because it was a movie or it was going to be a movie. These five books I can reread a lot. I never read a book just because of the cover, but I do look more into books with awesome covers.

My top 5 favorite books are (from what I've read) include:
1. If Only You Knew: A Novel - This story is written by a Canadian and I don't even remember how I came across it. My faith is a big part of who I am and this story...it's just amazing. I really don't have any words to describe how cool it was. It was well written and it wasn't basic cookie-cutter Christian lit. I was written in the point of view who didn't know what to believe and didn't feel like she was loved. The story follower the MC throught the summer after her high school graduation. I would recommend it just for people who are looking for something different.

2. The Truth about Forever - When I read the summary what really caught my eye was that the MC (Macy) tried to make everything perfect but hangs out with a group of teens and realizes living is better and trying to reach perfection. I liked everything about the book and explaining all those points would take too long. But I found the story very touching.

3. Academy 7 - Ah. This one I was suprised about. I don't usually read scifi but this story was exciting and well written. I liked the characters and how their (family) history were linked to something greater than themselves. There wasn't much action but it was a great start to a possible trilogy.

4. Heist Society - This is one of my favorites because I am similar to the MC (Kat). We have almost the same personality. But something I wish I had that she has is she can go almost anywhere and be anyone. Also, she has really great friends and people who care about her that are her age (in additional to her family). She does adventerous things and I really think it's a good story. I reminds me of one of my favorite movie "Ocean's Eleven."

5. Twisted - This book was the first book I read that got me to read a lot. Before than I never read unless it was for summer reading in high school. This book contains an interesting charater (who's a little more darker) that goes through various things in a short part of his high school career. I felt the charater. I basically just liked it.

Harry Potter isn't on there because I've never read any of the books except the first one (and I haven't seen the movies). Also, I don't have other scifi/fantasy on the list because I don't like vampire, werewolves, demons/fallen angels and they scare me easily. :P

message 3: by Maylee (new)

Maylee (mayleejo) | 1174 comments Mod
Is twisted a in a series? And I'm reading heist society right now

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren No. It's a stand alone by Laurie Halse Anderson. I think if you click the title it will take you to the goodreads link.

message 5: by Jude (last edited Mar 04, 2011 07:56PM) (new)

Jude (judehnd) Top Five.... a hard pick...

1.- The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

2.- Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

3.- Take Me There by Carolee Dean

4.- Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

5.- Intertwined by Gena Showalter

:)

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren If my list was extended I would absolutely add "The Sky is Everywhere", "Along for the Ride", and "Take Me There."

My goodness. "Take Me There" was a different read than I expected to be but it seemed almost poetic. And the ending...it felt right but man. I don't know. Even though the MC isn't hero-like or whatever you were definitely rooting for him.

I thought "Twenty Boy Summer" was pretty good (even though it's not one of my favorites). Why did Matt have to go? I couldn't imaging losing someone so fast.

message 7: by Jude (new)

Jude (judehnd) Lauren wrote: "If my list was extended I would absolutely add "The Sky is Everywhere", "Along for the Ride", and "Take Me There."

My goodness. "Take Me There" was a different read than I expected to be but it ..."

I KNOW!! It was so sad to let him go!! and to be honest, her BF was a B****.....

AND YES!! you've just said THE perfect description for Take Me There... poetic... I LOVE that one :)

and as for YOUR favorites, I've only read The Truth About Forever... though about reading Academy 7 but, in the end, decided not too, is it REALLY that good?

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Mar 06, 2011 04:39PM) (new)

Lauren I thought it was good...but I don't really have any other scifi lit to compare it too because I don't really read them that often.

The book isn't long. It's strongest part is the main charaters and how their history is actually weaved together but they are trying to separate from what they grew up with. Making themselves their own.

The female protagonist (Aerin) is similar to Meghan (in The Iron King). Aerin isn't immediately looked at as someone great but she is a part of something that she didn't know. Like Meghan she was just a girl and until her brother was stolen she found out that she was a part of something greater.

There is a little romance but it's sutle and Aerin is a strong, independent teen (similar to Katniss in the Hunger Games).

It's just a good start to a possible trilogy/series. I guess it just depends on what you like. For me I wish their was more action but there are always things you may or may not like. But I'd recommend you to try it out. If you don't like it you don't. (:

message 9: by LuAnn (last edited Mar 06, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

LuAnn (luey) | 54 comments Mod
1. The Sweet Far Thingby Libba Bray

2. Along for the Rideby Sarah Dessen

3. Just Listenby Sarah Dessen

4. The Lucky Oneby Nicholas Sparks

5. The Last Songby Nicholas Sparks

message 10: by Jude (new)

Jude (judehnd) Lauren wrote: "I thought it was good...but I don't really have any other scifi lit to compare it too because I don't really read them that often..."

You should make this the review of the book... you gave everything real detail and it's good... and you convinced me ^^. Gonna ordered it from e-bay :D

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren haha. Thanks :)