What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. French Encyclopedia of Food [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) The book I am looking for was written in the 19th C, I'm pretty sure. The author's first name began with an A, I think but 100% sure. The edition I had was a big thick, really thick 800+ pages, paperback with a white cover and it was published sometime in the 80s but possibly a little earlier.

It was divided into sections - meat, vegetables etc and I remember it as being A-Z within those sections. What made it a joy to read was that it wasn't just information, but the author's experience too.

It wasn't Larousse or Careme.

It would be great if someone knows what it is, I would so appreciate it.

message 2: by stormhawk (last edited Feb 05, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures by Auguste Escoffier, perhaps?

There are multiple editions and reprints, so the cover description may not match what you remember.

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) No, it wasn't Escoffier. The writing was quite modern now I come to think of it so it might have been 20th C and I had the English version.

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Shame, because it meets all your other criteria.

And it wasn't Julia Child, right?

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila  | 24 comments Any chance your are thinking of La Bonne Cuisine de Madame E. Saint-Ange: The Original Companion for French Home Cooking ?
The cover is not white though, at least not here.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 33 comments What about Alexandre Dumas' Grand Dictionnaire de cuisine? Alexandre Dumas' Dictionary of Cuisine

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37538 comments Mod
The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin? My edition is translated by M.F.K. Fisher.

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) Julia Child! I read her biography recently after I read Julie and Julie - I'd never heard of her before, but I'm not an American. Escoffier and the Saint-Ange books were cookery books - the recipes were the main point but the book I am looking for wasn't a recipe book. It was closer to the Grand Dictionnaire, a reference book telling you about different foods and how they may be prepared. It even included things like hedgehog and (I think) elephant's foot and bush snakes! The author was definitely male and I'm 90% certain he was French, slight chance he was English.

Thanks for all the help.

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) Lobstergirl wrote: "The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin? My edition is translated by M.F.K. Fisher."

No its not this book, but its jogged my memory and I think I read this one too way back when. I don't remember there being any pictures in the book I am trying to think of. But thanks :-)

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 108 comments Could it possibly be Food, by Waverly Root? He covers all kinds of food stuffs, from A to Z, talking about their history ... It's a very large book, and it doesn't contain recipes.

Food: An Authoriative and Visual History and Dictionary of the Foods of the World

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Micho (lorimicho) What about Larousse Gastronomique? It was first published in the 30's, and has had several updates over the years (including one with a white cover) and is roughly 1300 pages long.

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) The title finally popped into my head just now. (I wonder how long my subconscious had been trying to think of it). A Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy by Andre L. Simon who was French but moved to England aged 17.