So Many Great Books So little time discussion

The Immortal Life > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hope you all have begun reading our February pick. Let me know what you think so far

message 2: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I'm still waiting for it to become available on "Library without Walls"

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I just got mine for Kindle will start to read soon.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I started this book and what a pleasant surprise. I usually do not read non-fiction but I really like this book.

message 5: by Hilly (new)

Hilly | 14 comments Well, I hope that even if this book was difficult to read at times, that we all learned something remarkable...not to mention the girl who wrote the book is from the 'burgh (which I didn't know). I've taken a lot of advanced science classes and never even heard of these cells...it should be taught in every science class. Without the discovery of her cells, where would science and health care be today, kinda scary to think about...With that said, thank you Henrietta Lacks and the Lacks family for what may save lives of myself, friens, and family. And thank you to Rebecca Skloot for burning desire and passion to tell the story

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hilly wrote: "Well, I hope that even if this book was difficult to read at times, that we all learned something remarkable...not to mention the girl who wrote the book is from the 'burgh (which I didn't know). ..."

Well said Hill. This was a very education book. I liked that it put a personal spin on it which made me really interested in the book. Science would be no where without the HeLa cells. Henrietta made the biggest contribution to science and I thank her and her family for graciously saving many lives eventhough they were wronged in the process. As Deborah always said to her it wasn't about the money it was about the acknowledgement

message 7: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I had to give up on "Library's without walls" but I did strike gold the book was in the 40% off book bin at Safeway! Who knew grocery stores sold decent books?!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Great Erin you will not be disappointed it was such a great book!!!

message 9: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I sat in the tub last night until all my bubbles were gone, my tea was ice and the bath water was ice reading the book!

Washington Post is right, this book reads like it's fiction!