Classics Club discussion

Crime & Punishment > Dream and Motives

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Nerdin | 8 comments I am about half way through Crime and Punishment. Rodia's mother and sister just arrived is Petersburg. I completely agree with the doctors theory that he is crazy! Major depressive disorder, severe with psychotic features. Maybe even a personality disorder. I was very interested in his dream, where he beats and then kills the horse with an ax. I thought his jump to deciding to kill the old women from the dream was extremely irrational. That was the first clue about his delusional thought process. I am still unclear of his motives. He didn't do it for the money. Was he just playing God? I am interested in hearing other opinions about his dream and motives for killing.

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (kingarthur) | 6 comments Mod
Oh man! You need to preface this with "spoiler" or something :) I'm not that far yet, but definitely think it's fascinating to see his thought process in the first chapter, a bit scary the rationalizations he was making. I found myself thinking, wow, I don't know what he's going to do, but I have had similar thoughts & feelings. I read Change Your Brain, Change Your Life a while back by Dr. Daniel Amen & I think it was in there where he mentioned people who have temporal lobe lesions or injuries will often have dark & tormented thinking, as if they are plagued by the devil or something. It makes me wonder how many people have done foolish things, been labeled by society, OBVIOUSLY put away, but in it all just had a dysfunction in the brain. I don't think the insanity card justifies what they do, but it seems that we need more understanding than we give most people. A "motive" may be nothing more than a good mind gone wrong. Motives seem to be the realm of those who have a greater control of their capabilities.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Nerdin | 8 comments Ryan I'm sorry! I thought I was behind.
I almost think someone would have to have a mental disorder (brought on my stress, trauma, chemical use, or whatever) to commit a violent crime. Like you said that does not obliterate responsibility, and never makes it OK it just explains their alternate logic. I do not think people do things without motivation. The motivation might be just to satisfy the "voices in their heads" or whatever, but it's not human nature to do something for no reason. Things people do always make sense to them in that moment.

message 4: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) Hey, guys, I hope you don't mind me just crashing into your group like this. I think this group might be going places, and I like the 2 or 3 books you have on your shelf. :D

Got to catch up on some of my classics, and nothing to force one along like a group read..

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (kingarthur) | 6 comments Mod
Yeah, Traveller, feel free to jump in the discussions and share your thoughts on any or all the books we're reading/have read. Glad to have ya!