Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > I Loathe Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Aug 10, 2008 07:22PM) (new)

Lori Anderson (lorianderson) OK, this isn't exactly about a specific book, but I am so irritated (ok, pissed!) about this that I had to post -- I LOATHE when someone makes the title of their discussion a SPOILER!

I just went to grab the code for the book I'm getting ready to read and my eye unfortunately didn't miss the list of topics posted underneath -- and one was a serious spoiler. Now I get to pick up this book tonight knowing this THING is going to happen.

And I'm not happy.

Does this get to anyone else?

(Edited to add, it's not here, in this group, of course, but just out in the general book's page.)

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 72 comments I loathe spoilers as well. However, even more I loathe people who'd consciously spoil books for others. If I stumble across an unintentional spoiler, then I consider it rotten luck, but have no ill-will against the person spoiling me. On the other hand whenever a popular, long-awaited book is published, it seems that some people take a delight in spoiling as many strangers as possible. I received an uncanny number of anonymous e-mails containing spoilers the week up to the release of Harry Potter 7. Fortunately they all ended up in my spam-folder, but the maliciousness behind it just sickens me.

message 3: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen (mary_iatrop) | 24 comments Here, here. There should be a special ring of hell for those who delight in spoiling stories for the rest of us.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) What about a book description here, on Amazon, and/or on the back of the book that gives away the whole darned story? There's a huge difference between a blurb and a synopsis. If the back of the book is going to have a synopsis, I can just read the back of the book and skip the inside.

Movie trailers that give away then end bug me too. I just saw a trailer for "Blindness". One of the sequences they show has the guy saying something like "I can finally see you again. It's been so long." So, anyone who sees the trailer KNOWS that the blindness epidemic is temporary. UGH!

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (verydressypants) | 11 comments Holy crap, I had no idea Blindness was being made into a movie until just now! Fantastic! But, my god, that is an awful spoiler to put in a trailer.

message 6: by Lori (last edited Sep 01, 2008 04:39PM) (new)

Lori Anderson (lorianderson) I like to read the fly leaf on books to see what I'm getting into, but to put spoilers there, or major MAJOR hints, terrible.

This reminds me of something that happened when I was stationed in Korea. We got only one channel of English TV and it was always two months behind. A friend of mine and I were discussing a soap opera that had a particularly interesting bit going on. This other girl was sitting in the same room, and she had just gone home on leave for a couple of weeks, and therefore got to see the program two months AHEAD. She pipes up, "You know she dies."

We were livid. Two months of TV shot, and when you are in a foreign country, that little bit of entertainment mattered!