Benny Imura > Rot & Ruin

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micheal (new)

Micheal Shea | 106 comments Mod
Here is a place to discuss Rot & Ruin.

message 2: by Micheal (new)

I just read the 13 page prequel to Rot & Ruin I found at http://www.simonandschuster.com/admin...

I really enjoyed the part about Tom, it was really cool to see what happened after he ran. What a bad ass!

Happy Bookaholic (ReadingEcstasy) | 3 comments Thanks for the link. Been waiting for this prequel to be written before I read Rot & Ruin. "Six months after I was born, the world died." Cool.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Funnily enough, most people tell me that they're glad they read the prequel AFTER reading the novel. Go figure.

More prequel & First Night freebie stuff to come. There will links to it in my newsletter (which is free. You can sign up for it on my website: www.jonathanmaberry.com)

Happy Bookaholic (ReadingEcstasy) | 3 comments Does it answer questions that are integral to the plot of the book? I may be obsessed with reading chronologically, however...

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments All it does is answer Benny's question as to whether his brother was a coward or not. Otherwise, no.

message 7: by Micheal (new)

I am glad I read it after, because I was totally surprised when I found out how bad ass Tom was. When I was reading it I thought Tom was going to be a minor character and that Benny was going to run away and work with the Hammer.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments That would have made for a different story.

message 9: by Micheal (new)

I thought it was really funny how Benny was so in to the zom cards at the beginning of the book. It reminded me of myself at that age.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Me, too. I collected Marvel Cards by the ton. The publisher comissioned six, and we'll probably do more for the future books.

message 11: by Micheal (new)

Yeah, exactly Marvel cards. I still have them in a box in my closet.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Me, too...though I don't think I ever got any of the cool 'chase' cards. So, my collection is ho-hum.

message 13: by Micheal (new)

My best friend growing up was rich, so he always got them by the box, and he gave me his doubles.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Nice.

Depending on how well the next book in the series does, the publisher is considering commissioning an entire series of Zombie Cards. I may even illustrate a couple (though there are many better artists!)

message 15: by Micheal (new)

That would be awesome. I'll have to get my hands on those.

message 16: by Rachel (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:46PM) (new)

Rachel | 30 comments Jonathan wrote: "Funnily enough, most people tell me that they're glad they read the prequel AFTER reading the novel. Go figure.

More prequel & First Night freebie stuff to come. There will links to it in my n..."

I was one of those people that think I enjoyed the prequel more after reading the book. I would also love to get my hands on some Zombie Cards.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments ROT & RUIN is a nominee for the DEAD LETTER AWARD! Official ballot here: Vote for you favorite zombies NOW! https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewf...

message 18: by Micheal (new)

Check it out guys, I made a zom card http://www.twitpic.com/4536x4

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments So cool!

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments NEWS: Rot & Ruin has been nominated for a Bram Stoker Award! http://jonathanmaberry.com/the-bram-s...

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 30 comments Michealbank wrote: "Check it out guys, I made a zom card http://www.twitpic.com/4536x4"

That is pretty cool.

message 22: by Nathan (last edited Sep 22, 2011 09:21PM) (new)

Nathan (kalanisays) | 1 comments I wanted thoughts on this series being classified under young adult.
I have 2 minds about it. I understand that the protagonist is a young adult so it makes sense in that instance to put it in that cat. Having said that, the thoughts and ideas in the book have enough depth and maturity that it easily translates into adult fiction.
It's like Ender's Game to me. I read it at as a young adult and loved it, but have sense revisited it on several occasions and found so much more within the pages.
I found this book from a recommendation and may have never read it, because I don't generally peruse the Young Adult section. I would have missed a gem. Thanks for any responses. Sorry if this is long winded, but it says I have 11243 char left to type with.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 30 comments Comparing it with others of Maberry's works, it's less violent and the language is toned done. To me that also makes it YA. YA doesn't have to mean lower quality writing. I like how Rot and Ruin doesn't talk down to its audience and yet creates great characters and an emotional story.