Book Club Across State Lines discussion

General > What else are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jacky (new)

jacky Here is a place to discuss the other books you are reading, both good and bad.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lee Hamilton (kathandra) | 13 comments Yuck just finished reading the third in the vaunted BattleStar Galactica trilogy, and the author appears to have watched oh... 2 episodes of the show and not have done and research on the character backgrounds and gotten them terribly terribly wrong. So wrong they clash with the show itself. Very disappointing.
Currently reading Paul of Dune, the first book of the third dune trilogy written by Frank Herbert's son, the other 2 trilogies rocked my socks off, but so far their is very little action only set up and I am already in 100 pages, its a change in his writing style, usually he opens with a bang. I am not sure if I like it or not yet.

message 3: by jacky (new)

jacky My reading right now is VERY different from Kathryn's. I'm reading a lot of non-fiction parenting books about adding a second baby to the family. So far, I like Twice Blessed the best. I'm also putting direct effort into chopping away at the Newbury winner list most recently finishing The Higher Power of Lucky, which had me crying reading it in the dark in the middle of the night. Next one of those on deck is A Year Down Under.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Lee Hamilton (kathandra) | 13 comments So someone else like me who ends up reading or rereading a childrens story and ends up crying in the middle of the night over it. Wasn't sure if it was just me.

message 5: by Karawan (new)

Karawan | 27 comments I'm working my way through a bunch of Brother Cadfael mysteries at the moment because they make good bedtime reading. My son just started crawling and trying to pull himself into a standing position on just about everything he can find, and he's not really a napper, so I basically only get to read between his bedtime and mine. I have a huge passion for historical fiction if anyone else wants to share recommendations....

message 6: by jacky (new)

jacky Right now, I've got myself in a corner where I'm trying to read two book club books at the same time, with only about a couple of weeks to each dead line. Then I"m reading a Newbury winner (Bud, Not Buddy) and The Great and Secret Show (which is one of MIke's favorites I promised I'd read).

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kennedy (michelleyk) | 7 comments I recently finished the Hunger Games trilogy, which I enjoyed for the most part. I also have been reading a lot of Georgette Heyer's books, I love her style (very Austen-esque, comedy-of-manners), and of course, my knitting books. And in honor of Dianna Wynne Jones' passing, I re-read The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, which is one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long while!

message 8: by jacky (new)

jacky I loved Hunger Games. The first one was the best in my opinion, but I was satisfied with how the series closed.

Part of the reason I'm so behind on Evening Cass is because I'm trying to read too much at once. I am reading Jitterbug Perfume for my live and in person book club, but I'm not liking it. Its slowing me way down. I'm also trying to read some books on parenting toddlers, and I'm on to my next Newbury winner, Sounder. Its about a dog. I have a bad feeling I'm not going to make it to the end of this book without crying. I'm only a few pages in and I'm have Where the Red Fern Grows flashbacks.